View Diary: The strange flip-flop of Maryland's Sam Arora on marriage equality (167 comments)

•  This is how change happens. (4+ / 0-)

Notice the diarist assumes that backing marriage equality was an electoral plus for Arora, and will be an electoral plus for Hutchins.

I hope that's true, but clearly just a few years ago, that assumption would have been crazy. Even if it's not true now, and even if it's not true in 2014, the day is coming when it will unquestionably be true.

Candidates standing up on this issue, and seeking support based on it, brings that day closer. Outstanding. That new day can't come soon enough.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 01:35:53 PM PST

•  I don't think it's entirely assumption (6+ / 0-)

since he won on the promise of marriage equality.

I rather presume all the Democrats promised it (I know all 3 winners of the primary and 4th place Jay Hutchins did).

I daresay, he would have stuck out in the D primary had he said "no" on marriage, "yes" on civil unions.

And not in a good way.

•  It's absolutely true in Montgomery County MD (3+ / 0-)
      Scott Wooledge, HeyMikey, Tamar

We're overwhelmingly supportive of equality here. I think he was the only member of the county's entire delegation to oppose it.

My guess is that this was the result of a massive miscalculation on his part. But whatever his motives, he got me to rip my "Arora for Delegate" sticker off my car and publicly apologize for sending him a contribution when he announced.

He's an embarrassment to Georgetown Law.

‎"Our greatest asset as advocates is a deep cognizance of our own ignorance, plus a willingness to do something about it." -Joseph Mitchell Kaye, 1966.

by JR on Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 04:57:22 PM PST

•  I find it hard to imagine it was a miscalculation (1+ / 0-)
        HeyMikey

because he was really put through the ringer in back March 2011 when he flip-flopped. Most of the damaging quotes and reports of talking to his donor base came in March.

And I know he had to be aware of it. His office was flooded with calls, his social media was slammed.

He had almost a year to think it over, and still made the same choice, knowing what came his way a year ago.

•  Well, why close the barn door... (0+ / 0-)

...once the horse is already out? He knew those bridges were burned after last year: maybe he thought that the only way it could get worse would be if he flipped again. If he miscalculated that badly last year, he could easily have panicked and done it again this year.

No matter what else, though, his career is over.

by JR on Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 05:59:55 PM PST

•  See, I don't think the bridges were burned. (2+ / 0-)
            HeyMikey, Tamar

I think had he voted yes, well, his former supporters wouldn't be coming back. But they probably wouldn't be coming for him either. And the rest of the MoCo delgation would have forgiven him his jitters. The Governor would have, the majority leader would have. He might still be able to get his calls returned from the DNC and the Clinton camp.

Sure it all would have been awkward but he's an incumbent and the Ds work to protect the majority. They'd fry other fish, and try to forgive and forget.

But he just flipped the bird to everyone with that vote.

•  Meh, we locals have been planning to take him down (5+ / 0-)

...since last year. He might not have gotten the full-court press from national figures (though I heard Hilary Rosen was ready to go after him with a tube sock full of wood screws), but the national activists like Aravosis combined with locals like, well, me, would have been there no matter what he did this time around. Nobody has any faith in him anymore.

Besides, there's no risk to the majority in taking him down: he'll lose in a primary challenge, and even if he somehow manages to squeak past losing his 1/3rd of the 19th District seats wouldn't come close to costing us the majority: we have over a 2 to 1 advantage in the House of Delegates. That's not even a concern.

by JR on Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 08:41:24 PM PST

•  Did you see this? (5+ / 0-)

Maryland Juice

Boy this makes my blood boil. An anonymous source in Annapolis tells Maryland Juice that temporary Delegate Sam Arora appears to be defiant about lying his way into office. Last Friday, the dishonest lawmaker broke a campaign promise to support marriage equality --and he never found the courage to tell his constituents why. But apparently he has time to meet with the Catholic Conference -- one of the groups leading the charge against marriage equality in Maryland. Their newly promoted archbishop has been trying to stoke anti-equality feelings in Maryland. Check out the online chat dialogue below:
                Aide: Sam Arora. Jeez. The Catholic Conference was in his office and he was giving some speech to them.

Juice: Did you hear any of it?

Aide:  No. Just the multiple rounds of loud applause. He's walking around all cocky. He doesn't care.

Anything I can do to take this creep down. No mercy.
              •  & Aravosis is kind of a local also since he lives (2+ / 0-)
                Scott Wooledge, leonard145b

just across the border in the "taxation without representation" territory of D.C.
                (I know John from many years ago before he went out on his own and built the following he now has. He was always full of exciting ideas and got impatient with the people who couldn't see how useful his ideas were. It was our loss but good for both him and the movement that he left).

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 09:58:39 PM PST

•  I know John too. (2+ / 0-)
                  Tamar, leonard145b

I think he would have lost his bloodlust had Sam voted yes. There is always someone more worthy to go after.

But now he won't let it go.

But I couldn't gauge how much the locals in the district know or care about all this. To that, I defer to JR, who indicates it's more than I would have estimated. I am rather used to LGBT issues not getting much notice outside the gay community.

•  I think that's changing. And Montgomery (4+ / 0-)

County (it's my town -- I grew up here and have sent 2 kids through the schools here -- and have another halfway through) is a very liberal place. My daughter's elementary school has a number of kids with same sex parents and many of these parents are very involved in the PTA. It's a non-issue.
                    Doesn't mean there aren't backwards people here, but there are fewer of them. Even some of the Republicans, few though they are, are actually moderates.
                    We did elect a racist school board (well some people did, not me) about 25 or so years ago. Racist by our standards, but nothing of the caliber of the school boards who ban evolution! and a "stealth" RWNJ candidate ran for school board in the last election (which are non-partisan), but the word got around and she was soundly defeated.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 10:31:25 PM PST

•  This will help: (3+ / 0-)

Don't think of it as an LGBT issue.

Most of the electorate here is on board with LGBT rights (we came damn close to electing a transwoman to the General Assembly a couple of times), but the issue with Sam is much simpler than a policy question:

He lied.

He could have lied on any number of issues and still gotten a similar reaction. The fact that this particular issue is personal for so many of us is important, but I think the real source of the anger at him is that he proved himself completely untrustworthy, and he did it right after beginning his career, and that's how everyone started viewing him.

Sam Arora is the guy who lied his face off to us in order to get elected and then immediately went back on his word.

We expect at least a little subterfuge and trickery from our liars. This was just too brazen a turnabout for people to let stand.

by JR on Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 12:51:01 AM PST