View Diary: Stalkers, Ding Dongs, and the War On Women (58 comments)

•  Too much time and effort on cases like this (1+ / 0-)
    sandyknauer

so much easier and worthwhile for departments to just do possession and dealing arrests...

Stalking, burglary rape maybe... sure if it is extreme and especially if it is in a better off (conservative neighborhood) and maybe falls into their laps too...

OK, OK, cost benefit... they have a lot to do, manpower stretched thin etc.
    (but the "can't be bothered angle" is in there sometimes too)

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 11:05:14 AM PST

•  I agree, IreGyre (0+ / 0-)

When they were looking at the individual incidents, it made sense to me that there were worse crimes out there that deserved police time - especially when I eventually realized this man was stalking my home and not me, so he probably wanted something in the house or to chase me out of it. But when it continued for years, and I had done everything I could on my end (security system & lights, tracking down his family, letting them know when he had been arrested in another state, etc), I think I earned some investigation.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." -- George Carlin

by sandyknauer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 12:16:53 PM PST

•  Absolutely you did deserve better... (1+ / 0-)
        sandyknauer

I can see how it all appeared to be a lot of apparently disconnected minor stuff but... glad you got through it all in the end and can get past it. But never overestimate police... they are a totally mixed bad of good bad and indifferent... sounds like they did not have a good overview of the chain of events and like a doctor or several doctors who tag a patient as a hypochondriac they get complacent and sometimes miss something important.

and beyond that police forces do have an overemphasis on drug enforcement for a lot of reasons of which a not too small one is they get a lot of return for less effort... the DEA rewards departments for beating quotas... and the departments supplement budgets with seizure of money and property... just a pity that the drug connection with this weird Steve guy did not make them take it more seriously... if that sort of thing is usually a priority with the local force in your area that is... that said some also allege many police tend to like non-violent busts better than more dangerous ones... so who knows. You know best how the local cops operate in your area and how they handled your situation.

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 02:56:42 PM PST

•  In fairness to the police, (2+ / 0-)
          KenBee, IreGyre

they always responded quickly and, even when I knew they thought I was over-reacting, they encouraged me to call any time I felt uncomfortable. And I did.

by sandyknauer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 03:25:36 PM PST

•  that is good to hear, we need good police forces (0+ / 0-)

and mostly nationwide they are professional and do a good job... but all too often we just hear when there is a problem and not as much when law enforcement is working well. And often it is large forces in troubled cities that end up with more uneven and even bad or corrupt policing... we just hear about these exceptions more than when they are effective and do protect and serve the public well... but we all rely on them a great deal and hope they are not tired, pushed to the limit or understaffed when we need them most.

and also hope that we interact the decent hardworking ones and not the ones who give the rest a bad name....

in your case, at least they were helpful, professional and attentive which reflects well on policing in your area.

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 02:00:58 AM PST

•  Yes, in my quest to make the analogy (1+ / 0-)
              IreGyre

and to keep this under three pages, I failed to mention how much the officers in my neighborhood did to ease my fear. They did little to investigate the stalker or track him down but much to comfort me. I live in a fairly large city with a huge force so I am all too familiar with the problem of there being some great people on the force and some who should not be there. It isn't possible or fair to lump them all in the same evaluation. Reminds me of the survey the school board sends out: On a scale of 1 - 10, how would you rate your student's teacher? Sorta hard to answer when my student has six teachers. Do I average the number? Rate the one I like most or least?

by sandyknauer on Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 07:48:16 AM PST