View Diary: The encroachment of religion on our secular government (242 comments)

•  i don't know all the rules (1+ / 0-)
    msmacgyver

but the same ones used by any secular organizations. food banks are obvious.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 09:46:01 AM PST

•  'their broader tax exempt status' (0+ / 0-)

You object to it; surely you can define it ...

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 09:53:49 AM PST

•  they enjoy tax exempt status (2+ / 0-)
        eps62, denise b

on their properties and everything. even italy has finally revoked the vatican's tax exempt status on non-religious properties. why should churches and temples be tax exempt? why should all donations made to them, when those funds go for many things, including proselytizing and politicking? surely you're aware of this.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 01:28:19 PM PST

•  You are calling for repeal of 501(c)3, are you? (0+ / 0-)

And, I guess, state and local exemptions from property tax for charitable organizations?

It's still unclear to me: do you seek this treatment for all charitable organizations, or are you asking to remove religious organizations specifically from that coverage?

Also: are you contending that churches are not subject to the same regulation of political activities as other 501(c)(3) organizations?

Please help me out here. It's very murky.

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 04:08:48 PM PST

•  uh, no (0+ / 0-)

it's not that complicated:

their social services should be tax exempt, exactly to the degree that secular social service organizations are, but there is no sound justification for their broader tax exempt status.
            and i wasn't aware that the properties of non-profits are wholly tax exempt the same way those of religious institutions are. i also don't recall naral and the lcv getting tax exemptions.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 05:27:13 PM PST

•  Pls check it out and let me know. (0+ / 0-)

501(c)(3) is the same clause for all covered groups, of course.

I'm still not sure what that 'broader' status you keep talking  about is, unless you are railing against all the myriad of state and local laws ...

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 08:37:03 PM PST

•  you do know (0+ / 0-)

that clergy get a tax exemption for housing, right? do the leaders of secular non-profits? do secular social workers or counselors? how about secular exemptions from income tax withholdings? and please tell me how many secular 501(c)(3)s get away with such overt politicking.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers