View Diary: WOW: Obama Admin. Rejects Visa Request for Israeli Knesset Member Due to Ties w/ Jewish Terror Group (241 comments)

•  it's not entrapment. (11+ / 0-)

I've followed these cases pretty closely.

All of the recent cases where the FBI has busted people for terrorist activities, are legitimate cases.  In each case, there were multiple instances where the undercover agents gave the suspect a way out, a way to disengage from the terrorist plot and thereby not end up getting prosecuted.  In each case, they spelled it out, that the planned actions would kill innocent people.  In each case, the suspect affirmed that this was exactly their intention.

And in each case, the suspect attempted to detonate the bomb (in which the explosives had been replaced with fake explosives) not just once, but twice.  At which point they were read their rights and taken into custody.

The only exception was the recent "suicide bomber" case where the suspect was arrested after he took possession of the suicide bomber vest that was rigged with (fake) explosives, and said he was headed to the Capitol building.  They busted him before he could get there, because they couldn't take the risk that he might have picked up other weapons along the way and managed to actually kill people even if his suicide bomb vest didn't detonate.  But I'll bet dollars to proverbial donuts, that he will be duly convicted and sentenced to prison, and like the rest of these cases, his lawyers won't find anything they can use to appeal the case.

The cases we do not hear about are the ones that do not go forward to prosecution, where a person of interest (POI) does indeed get second thoughts and take the escape hatch to disengage from the plot.  Probably the ratio is somewhere 5 to 1, if not 10 to 1 or more, between cases of this type and cases that end up in prosecutions.  But nobody here is going to make a ruckus about entrapment if the case doesn't go to trial.  Strange but true.

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 06:28:28 AM PST

•  In each case, the FBI sought out (2+ / 0-)
      poco, AoT

people and persuaded them that doing these things was good idea.

In each case, the FBI created the terrorist threat they insist they are saving us from.

Bombing Iran is far more dangerous than Iran getting The Bomb.

by JesseCW on Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 02:45:41 PM PST

•  I like you and respect your ideas, and... (1+ / 0-)
        highacidity

.... I don't think either of us is going to persuade the other about this issue.

by G2geek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 06:45:52 PM PST

•  If a government agent comes to me with (0+ / 0-)

a hit of what I think is acid and convinces me that it would be a great idea to take it I would find it very unconvincing that they should later charge me with drug possession and not have it be considered entrapment.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 03:06:07 PM PST

•  All you have to do (2+ / 0-)
        G2geek, volleyboy1

is to say, "no".

Is that so hard?

These guys wanted to blow up two synagogues. One of them is one that I often attend and in fact as they were putting what they thought were bombs in front of the building I was 1/2 block away. I could easily have been inside when the bombs went off.

I know I'm not the most popular Kossack, but you folks would prefer me dead?

•  exactly. (3+ / 0-)
          volleyboy1, RedPencil, charliehall2

I could care less about popularity.  That guy who was going to blow up the synagogues had a rigged van with (substituted fake) explosives, and tried to detonate it twice.  The FBI agent was in the car with the guy when he tried to dial the "detonate code" on a bugged cellphone.

All's I can say is, I would have just loved to see the expression on the guy's face when the FBI agent pulled out his badge and said "you have the right to remain silent..."

IMHO blowing up a synagogue is a nazi action, regardless of whether the person doing it is an actual nazi or some other species of anti-semite.

by G2geek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 06:52:11 PM PST

•  He wasn't a Nazi (0+ / 0-)

But he was a violent hater with a long arrest record. He and his co-conspirators are getting 25 years free room and board after having been convicted in a civilian trial. (It turns out I was serving on a grand jury in the very same courthouse where they were on trial. There were no problems, except for the right wing extremists who say that we shouldn't give terror suspects civilian trials and the left wing extremists who think that the use of informants is wrong. The jury verdict proved both sets of extremists to be completely wrong.

•  I most certainly don't want you dead (0+ / 0-)

The point is that the government is going to people who otherwise weren't planning anything and setting them up with a plan and a "bomb".

by AoT on Sun Feb 26, 2012 at 09:47:25 AM PST

•  if you put out the word that you want to... (2+ / 0-)
        volleyboy1, highacidity

.... blow up something, and you're in the process of looking for materials to use to build a bomb, and some guy comes along offering you explosives and you eagerly take him up on the deal... what do you call that?

by G2geek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 at 06:47:52 PM PST