View Diary: Tom Drake on Kos re: NYT Article on Espionage Act de facto Official Secrets Act (142 comments)

•  Well, yes, Jassentprises, there are reasons (1+ / 0-)
    TexasTwister

...not to support Obama but they pale in comparison to the threat of having Republicans once again in control of the White House and Senate.  Obama is not perfect and one flaw that the diarist points out is the stealth of this administration.  It's open about some minor things, like WH musical events, but closed about others.  Obama is such an attractive, articulate man, one forgets that he doesn't discuss his foreign policy, doesn't explain some skullduggery by the Justice Department, avoids taking hard positions on controversial issues, etc.

I'll vote for Obama; I'd sooner eat shit or move to Costa Rica than suffer another Republican fool in the White House but transparency from this administration is smoke and mirrors.

•  Voting for the lesser of two evils. (11+ / 0-)

Great.

My book, TRAITOR: THE WHISTLEBLOWER & THE "AMERICAN TALIBAN," is Amazon's #1 Best Seller in Human Rights Books for February 2012.

by Jesselyn Radack on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 08:50:09 AM PST

•  ?? (0+ / 0-)

Now the president is evil?

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. -- A.E.

by lcj98 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 09:12:06 AM PST

•  What's the alternative? (0+ / 0-)

In my adult life, presidential politics has always been a choice between two evils.  For a number of years, I didn't vote because of the tweedle dee/ dum candidates.  Obama inspired me to get involved again but, imo, hasn't lived up to his promise.

On the other hand, he is clearly the lesser of evils and, given the state of our nation, it's important to have a leader who "gets' it".   IMO, President Obama "gets it"....he just doesn't often act on "it"....but sometimes he does and that's a helluva lot more acceptable than what any Republican would do.  The nation absolutely cannot endure another four/eight years in the desert with a Bush clone.

•  Hey, he can sing too! (9+ / 0-)
      Obama is such an attractive, articulate man
      There are dangers in having a charismatic president, who can make you smile just by singing a little tune.

Pentagon Papers Daniel Ellsberg, “It was always a bad year to get out of Vietnam.”

by allenjo on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 08:53:38 AM PST

•  I'd have a beer with him nt (1+ / 0-)
        gooderservice

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” Terry Pratchett

by 420 forever on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 10:40:18 AM PST

•  not me (3+ / 0-)
          420 forever, gooderservice, cas2

I don't like beer and I don't like slimy pols, no matter how charming. 'A pol is a pol' I cannot understand how we've come to a point where we vote for people we want to have a beer with. Personality and hero worship make it easier to manipulate the polls of mass deception and is a distraction where by the voters get manipulated into voting for the marketed persona rather then a executive who will at the least defend the constitution and should represent the parties stated principles, the citizens and work for the common good.

•  Snark. (2+ / 0-)
            420 forever, shaharazade

We delivered. They failed us. We have moved on. (h/t to my good friend)

by gooderservice on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 12:57:30 PM PST

•  Well said - rec'd nt (1+ / 0-)
            shaharazade

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” Terry Pratchett

by 420 forever on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 01:18:06 PM PST

•  sorry I have (1+ / 0-)
              420 forever

lost my snark detector, lately. Should have look at who posted this. These dairies bring out the protectors of the flame of persona so I'm kinda touchy.

•  "Protectors of the flame of persona?" WTF? (1+ / 0-)
                shaharazade
                •  I watched a 1943 (0+ / 0-)

movie made by Cukor last night called Keeper of the Flame. It was a heavy handed, hokey, mid world war, anti fascist home front movie about that era and the fascists among us. A leftist tract. Way before McCarthy's post war nastiness. It riled me up and hit home as far as what we call political reality. It was eerily what we face today, as far as the power of fascist's and their core beliefs go.

I cannot accept the current reality as other then what it is is, it nothing but fascistic.  Sad but we as a country/society have a problem as we do tend to love our political  heroes  regardless of what they do as long as they are rhetorically talented  and know how to pump the fictitious reality of America the great, and have charisma  hence my over the top comment. I feel strongly that until we stop buying this bs offered by both parties people globally are screwed.  Gate keepers used to be what this site fought now they seem to be the only choice we have. Hold those gates no matter what inside.

•  I hear you, shaharazade (0+ / 0-)

It's the global, technological era.....the 1984 Orwellian stuff.  How things appear is much more important than how they really are.

With the disproportionate control of the nation by a few rich guys....supported by the highest court in the land....if it doesn't turn around, we're headed for banana republic status.

The issue with banana republics is that when someone gets into political office with a little power, they see the government as their personal franchise.  In our case, it's the powerful wealthy in conjunction with a political party who see the gov't as their personal representative.

•  You may forget, but I don't. (1+ / 0-)
      cas2

And neither do many, many others.

We delivered. They failed us. We have moved on. (h/t to my good friend)

by gooderservice on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 12:54:39 PM PST