View Diary: Breaking Bread: Crockpots, Slow is the Way to Go (154 comments)

•  I did that last night! (9+ / 0-)

Put steel cut oats in the crockpot with some milk and cinnamon.  My crock pot tends to run hot, so I just put it on "warm" and this morning we had delicious oatmeal.  :)

•  I've got a one-quart Rival "Crockette" (6+ / 0-)

I've had the thing for at least 25 years. They don't make 'em anymore (although 1-1/2 quart pots are easy to find). Still works perfectly. Lost the little recipe book long ago, but I found most of it online.

Just ate spaghetti that I make overnight in it. Also use it for oatmeal. I can't eat all the oatmeal it makes at once, but I put it in the fridge and nuke it.

Couldn't live without the thing. I have a five-quart that I use for beans & rice, spare ribs (easiest way to get BBQ spare ribs ever), and other such stuff. Bought a three-quart but haven't used it yet.

Crock pots! Easy living! Love 'em!

Enjoy the San Diego Zoo's panda cam! Now in high definition!

by Fonsia on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 03:02:16 PM PST

•  Could you share your spaghetti recipe? (2+ / 0-)
        michelewln, Fonsia

Do the noodles and the sauce cook together? Boy, that would be infinitely cool! (And if that sounds preposterous, it probably is: I am no cook.)

I'd love a lentil soup recipe too, if you happen to have one handy (and you sound like the kind of cook who might. :^)The other night I heated up a can of Amy's Lentil Soup for dinner. I'd never tried Amy's soups before, so I had no expectations; I just wanted something warm and tummy-comforting and though I'd give 'er a go. Well, it fairly rocked my world. But those soups aren't cheap; and I bet I could whip up something similar in the old crock pot without too much trouble. It was so flavorful! Vegan, too. Amazing. I would probably have to use chicken stock to get that kind of flavor.

I bought my crock pot at Target a couple years ago; I still have it...somewhere. The first time I used it I tried to make terryaki chicken, following the directions in the little booklet that came with the pot. I overcooked it, apparently--the meat turned out not tender as promised but, ugh, mushy; almost powdery. The consistency was so ghastly, I got turned off and never used it again; but this diary has me wondering if maybe it's time to reconsider--time to haul the thing out of the closet and give it another go. I'm sure it wasn't anything to do with the crockpot itself but rather my noobie error. :)

God bless our tinfoil hearts

by aitchdee on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 02:32:30 AM PST

•  No, you cook the noodles separately (3+ / 0-)
          mali muso, aitchdee, michelewln

but the sauce cooks on low for 10-18 hours.

This is for a one quart crock pot, but I imagine you could multiply it:

1 can tomato sauce
          1 can sliced mushrooms
          1/2 lb. ground beef, browned
          1 tsp. sugar
          1/2 tsp salt
          1/8 tsp garlic powder
          1/8 tsp dry mustard
          dash black pepper
          dash allspice
          dash mace

The original recipe also calls for 1 tsp dry minced onion, but I can't eat onion so I leave that out.

Throw it in the pot, stir it, put the cover on and plug it in for 10 to 18 hours.

Enjoy the San Diego Zoo's panda cam! Now in high definition!

by Fonsia on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 07:08:51 PM PST

•  ^ Che suoni deliziosi!! ^ (2+ / 0-)
            Fonsia, michelewln

Benissimo, Fonsia, grazi! :^)

God bless our tinfoil hearts

by aitchdee on Wed Feb 29, 2012 at 01:11:26 PM PST

•  Oh, DRAIN the canned mushrooms. (2+ / 0-)
              michelewln, aitchdee

Probably wouldn't ruin the sauce, but it would be strange.

And remember to cook on LOW.

(You said you were a noobie, so I'm being ridiculously explicit)

Enjoy the San Diego Zoo's panda cam! Now in high definition!

by Fonsia on Wed Feb 29, 2012 at 04:52:51 PM PST

•  I am a hopeless noob! ;^) (2+ / 0-)
                michelewln, Fonsia

Your instructions are perfecto. I'd have poured the canned mushrooms into the pot with the water and juices and then, when the sauce wasn't quite right, I'd have felt discouraged.

Also: cook on LOW. Gotcha!

I appreciate your taking the time to share your expertise with me. I'm going to make the sauce this week (!!) and I can't wait! Ringraziarla così molto!

God bless our tinfoil hearts

by aitchdee on Wed Feb 29, 2012 at 05:52:32 PM PST

•  You have to multiply the recipe if you're using (1+ / 0-)
                  michelewln

a larger crockpot.

So if you have a three-quart crock, put three times this stuff into the pot.

If you try to cook just this much in a larger crock pot you're going to get a burned mess.

Oh, and ground beef, BROWNED

means that you have to brown (cook) the meat in a skillet before you put it in the sauce.

Everything else just goes into the pot.

And a DASH of a spice means about one-quarter of a one-quarter teaspoon.

Enjoy the San Diego Zoo's panda cam! Now in high definition!

by Fonsia on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 12:11:31 PM PST

•  Cherry Ribs (2+ / 0-)
        Fonsia, Dvalkure

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot that I've done ribs in a crockpot.

Cherry Ribs

1              whole  shallot -- finely minced
          1              clove  garlic -- finely minced
          2        tablespoons  molasses
          1           teaspoon  dijon mustard
          1         tablespoon  low sodium Worcestershire sauce
          12            ounces  cherry cola

Trim excess fat off of ribs. Put in a glass container.

Mix all ingredients except cherry cola together. Pour over ribs. Cover and refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Put ribs in a crockpot. Pour sauce over ribs. Add cherry cola.

Cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or HIGH 4 to 5 hours.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 470 Calories; 29g Fat (55.7% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 107mg Cholesterol; 126mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." Oscar Wilde