View Diary: Home-made self-sufficiency in West Virginia town offers a solar model adaptable nationwide (148 comments)

•  Does anyone happen to know what the time (0+ / 0-)

to half-efficiency of the installed PV base is?  I've seen various numbers quoted.

Where are we, now that we need us most?

by Frank Knarf on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 06:51:40 PM PST

•  Do you mean (0+ / 0-)

capacity factor, payback time, or something else?

by ManfromMiddletown on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 07:36:20 PM PST

•  Sorry, I mean wear out on the cells due to charge (1+ / 0-)
        cville townie

trapping or whatever.  How long deployed in the sun before conversion efficiency falls to half-normal?  Or some other metric where they are considered due for replacement?  I'll try some more Googling.

Where are we, now that we need us most?

by Frank Knarf on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 07:54:41 PM PST

•  Half nominal. (0+ / 0-)

Where are we, now that we need us most?

by Frank Knarf on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 07:55:30 PM PST

•  That measurement may be found somewhere... (1+ / 0-)
          Larsstephens

...but because there is such varied efficiency at the moment (that is changing), I think it may be more of an approximation.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 08:34:22 PM PST

•  If I understand your question - (2+ / 0-)
          cville townie, Calamity Jean

what's the lifespan (at full capacity) of the PV modules? At least 25 - 30 years, and counting. Most modules are warrantied at 20-25 years. Enphase just tested their microinverter (and inverters have long been the weak link) at over 100 years. Many modules installed in the 80s are performing better than expected.

There are no moving parts (unless you're talking a tracking system of some sort). Assuming you're not right next to the ocean, or in some other intense weather situation that is damaging the modules, you should be good for a min. of 30++ years.

"I can't do it by myself. No president can. Remember: Change doesn't happen from the top. It happens because of you." B Obama, 2008

by nzanne on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 06:55:44 AM PST