View Diary: This is What Terrifies Conservatives (248 comments)

•  Strauss-Howe were right (6+ / 0-)

Anyone who has read Strauss & Howe books knows about the generational theory.  We're nearing the end of the conservative era and it appears the crisis that ends the era was the great recession, which is wrapping up.  Though the shift to a more liberal and pragmatic electorate won't be complete until the Baby Boomer generation dwindles and the younger generation takes their place at the polls.  We're already seeing evidence that the right wing is losing the culture war, as gay marriage support is jumping fast.  Progressives just need to weather the storm as the right-wing is in it's death spiral and very desperate right now.  In the end there's little doubt we're entering a more progressive era.

•  I am a baby bommer and I don't get... (8+ / 0-)

...what happened to my generation.

The fact that Obama lost the male vote over 45 disgusts me.

I really thought that baby boomers who grew up in the 60s would be different.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 10:13:30 AM PST

•  I'm Gen-X, having grown up with Nirvana, Pearl Jam (5+ / 0-)

and other liberal voices of rock-n-roll and grunge, and I can't get what happened to my generation, either. Family Ties stereotypes notwithstanding. :p

Seen on Facebook: "Rich people are not the cause of a robust economy, they are the result of a robust economy."

by boofdah on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 11:25:50 AM PST

•  Gen-X isn't THAT bad (4+ / 0-)

They're certainly less conservative than the Baby Boomers who preceeded them.  Right now they're roughly in the 30-50 age range.  Being born in 1980 I'm technically at the tail end up Gen-X.  This is a group basically evenly divided in ideology that went for Obama by about 5 points in 2008.

But ya, Generation-Y is where you get the more liberal generation that is now late-teen to 30'ish years old.  Generation-Y is the 18-29 group that went 66-32% for Obama in 2008 and will likely be a similar story in 2012.  I think within a decade when Gen-Y becomes more of a force at the ballot box and even Gen-Z grows up you'll see a shift to the left in society.

•  Gen-X went vaguely conservative for one reason... (4+ / 0-)
          boofdah, Shockwave, dogemperor, Panurge

As a Gen-Xer myself, I saw the shift happen when I was still in elementary school.  The DEFINING moment for Gen-X, politicallly, was the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Those who went conservative saw the US looking like a 'wimp' and hated it.

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 12:44:14 PM PST

•  I was only 8-9 when Iran Hostage happened... (3+ / 0-)
            Evolutionary, dogemperor, Shockwave

I remembered seeing it in my parents' newspaper and hearing the "grown-ups" discuss it over dinner and such, but really had no opinion one way or the other re: whether we were collectively "wimps" or not.

AFAIC, the defining moment for me and many of my Gen-X peers--mostly high-school and college students at the time--was when Clinton was elected. After the Reagan/Bush I cabal that lasted through most of my youth and all of my teen years, I and many others my age that I knew felt a huge sense of relief.

(OK, so maybe I know a lot of fellow liberals, so my own personal experience might be skewed...)

by boofdah on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 01:37:52 PM PST

•  Your "liberal media" at work (1+ / 0-)
            boofdah

Nightline was actually born out of the hostage crisis, as a 15-minute ongoing report, called America Held Hostage.  It became Nightline long before the crisis was resolved.  So, yeah, I think the media narrative ("The final insult!") had a lot to do with it.  To this day, people who don't know any better credit Reagan with resolving it.

Sometimes I wish Gerald Ford had won in 1976--it all would've fallen in his lap and the American people would've been ready for a Democratic POTUS by 1980.  Of course, the way things have been working out for the left of center, John Hinckley might've been luckier than he was...  :-/

The '60s were simply an attempt to get the 21st Century started early....Well, what are we waiting for? There's no deadline on a dream!

by Panurge on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 10:44:46 PM PST

•  there was a huge split inthe boomers... (6+ / 0-)

...the preboomers, born during WW2, and the first years of the boomers (1946-49) when the shadow of the war and depression still loomed, were the ones who lead the anti-war movement, the SDS, and the like.  Tom Hayden waqs a pre-boomer, born in 1939!  Todd Gitlin was born in 1943.

Once the post-war boom took off, most boomers were raised in suburbia.  They didn't like the War (often only inasmuch as they might get drafted), but beyond that, they were pretty conservative in their outlook.  The youngest boomers didn't turn 18 until 1978-80, where they became 'Reagan Democrats'

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 12:42:19 PM PST

•  Do you want to manipulate people? (1+ / 0-)
        Shockwave

Give them something to lose.

This is especially true with white men.  You can get most white men to do a lot if you can make them feel that their ability to get laid and/or make a good living will be threatened if they don't do it.  (DISCLAIMER:  I'm a white guy.)  Lots of white mean were just along for the ride in their '70s youth and didn't really think about politics until later.  And, you know, they had their fun, and, well, time to grow up.  And, yeah, they weren't really that fair to their parents, and gosh, what can we do to make it up to them and show them that we respect them?  I know--we'll kill our own dream for our society's future--that'll do it.  What's that?  Future generations won't take up our dream, but will turn away from it simply as a gesture of sub-conscious disappointment with us?  Oh, well, it'll work out in the end...  Somehow...

by Panurge on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 10:16:51 PM PST

•  The younger generation (2+ / 0-)
      Evolutionary, dogemperor

is certainly more liberal on social issues, but it remains to be seen what their economic views really are. Their support for Obama doesn't tell us.

I don't necessarily buy that they wanted or thought they were getting a real progressive in Obama. Maybe what they wanted was the hip young neoliberal that he is, more style than substance as a progressive.

How much to young people really support the unions and the big government social programs that are probably the only defense working people will ever have against Social Darwinism?

We'll find out when we see how they react to the coming assaults on Social Security and Medicare.

We decided to move the center farther to the right by starting the whole debate from a far-right position to begin with. - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay

by denise b on Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 01:48:46 PM PST