View Diary: Horrifying, personal John Bolton story (358 comments)

•  The man's a thug (4.00)
    Pure and simple.

Thanks for this.

It is a very mixed blessing to be brought back from the dead.

by Steven D on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 07:16:21 AM PDT

•  He's just like every other petty bully... (4.00)
      ... I tell you, if I had been in her position and he threw things at me, I'd have dropped him where he stood, damn the consequences.

But then again, at 6', 200#, it's unlikely he would have had the sack to try to physically intimidate me.  Just like every petty bully out there, he'll physically intimidate those whom he deems no threat and will backstab those who are.

I hate these fuckers with every fiber of my being.  I hope that in the grand scheme, these jack-asses that have hijacked our country get their due...

...in hell.

He who gives up liberty in exchange for security is deserving of neither

by joby on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 09:17:47 AM PDT

•  Middle Monkey syndrome (none)
        something all humans fall into way too easily - see Sapolsky's comments on the reverse linkage between androgens and bullying in primates...

"Don't be a janitor on the Death Star!" - Grey Lady Bast (change @ for AT to email)

by bellatrys on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 11:39:39 AM PDT

•  Exactly. (none)
        That's why I have long recommended that people like Melody learn things like tae kwan do or jiu-jitsu.  Or she could have just picked up a fucking baseball bat and clubbed Bolton halfway to Tashkent.

In that situation, Melody was fully justified to open up a can of whup-ass on our future UN ambassador and beat him until his ears bled.  Maybe, after he woke up from his coma, he would learn that actions have fucking consequences, a lesson most neocons never seem to have absorbed.  People like Melody, and so many of us, spend too much time waiting for some mythical set of referees to come and blow the whistle on thugs like Bolton.  There ARE no referees.  Call your own fouls, and use a club if need be.

•  It isn't too late. (none)
          Jump his ass.
          •  LOL, exactly (none)
            Which brings me to a possibly chauvinistic question that I'll ask anyway...if she's married, where the hell was her husband?  Not that I'm saying women must wait for a man to defend them (my wife is tougher than nails and has rammed more than one asshole's head through the drywall), but if I were Mr. Townsel, I'd have been waiting for Bolton in his office ready to beat him stupid.  Nobody fucks with my wife like that and escapes the consequences.

And if I were MRS. Townsel and he had treated my hubby like that, same deal.

•  On Earth (none)

...in hell.

Since I'm not a believer in hell, I'm hoping they get their "hell" on earth.  The sooner, the better.

•  This is horrible ... (4.00)
      If this were one person's story, well ... but this morning's WaPo lists a third State Dept. staffer who was similarly hounded and threatened by Bolton. John Bolton is mentally ill and -- quite frankly -- a danger to others. I am serious. People are in danger of mental and physical assault by this man.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 09:20:05 AM PDT

•  Get it to the WaPo (4.00)
        The heck with contacting Senate committee members. If the Washington Post is already writing about similar incidents, get them on this too.  Everyone in Congress reads the WaPo. Shame them into doing the right thing.  Which is a polite way of saying, trash Bolton publicly, ruin his reputation before the vote, so that he is too damaged to take the job.

Basically, do to Bolton what Bolton tried to do to the diarist's friend.

In loving memory: Sophie, June 1, 1993-January 17, 2005. My huckleberry friend.

by Paul in Berkeley on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 09:53:56 AM PDT

•  I think it's probably a safe guess (4.00)
        that his mental illness would be diagnosed as Borderline Personality Disorder.

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case." - Ken Kesey

by Glinda on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 10:28:54 AM PDT

•  nah (none)
          it's megalomania. Like all these other motherfuckers.
          •  Let me clarify that (4.00)
            what I mean is that these people (Bolton, the people who nominated him and are trying to confirm him) are not crazy. Crazy is impulsive, random, disorganized. This is methodical, deliberate, and very well organized.

No. These people are not crazy, they're ruthless. They know exactly what they're doing. Evil and crazy aren't the same thing. Evil is a conscious decision. Bolton was in K-stan because he was getting paid, not because he wandered over with one shoe untied. Bolton was over there doing his job. Bolton knew exactly what he was doing and it's a measure of how fucked up some parts of the world are that he figured (knew?) he could away with it.

•  Exactly (none)
              People like Bolton realize that as long as they can get away with bizarre intimidation tactics they continue. They know that even if such stories surface they have power behind them that can get the stories suppressed later, or that such stories seem so ludicrous that most people will not believe it anyway. They play their own "madman card" ruthlessly and effectively.

To the Bolton's of the world "Results matter", or from an earlier time, "The end always justifies the means."

•  You aren't really familiar with (4.00)
              Borderline Personality disorder. Unfortunately I have seen too many cases up close. There are a lot of "borderlines" among us. They seem normal until they feel that they've been crossed or abandoned. And then they go ape-shit ballistic!

Bolton is definitely a classic borderline. After seeing him for several hours on C-SPAN and hearing what Carl Ford and this woman had to say about him, I'd bet my house on it!

by Glinda on Sat Apr 16, 2005 at 12:15:54 PM PDT

•  Aside... (none)
        Our cat Sharon (named for Sharon Osbourne...unfortunately her brother Ozzy is no longer with us) looks almost exactly like Bear.  We rescued her and her brother after they were born in an outbuilding.  Scratch Bear on the head for me and tell him he has a twin sister out there.
        •  Hey, Sharon ... (none)
          Bear sends you his love and invites you over for a piece of home-cooked turkey that his mom made for him (with a bit for her too).

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 01:35:43 PM PDT

•  Turrrkkeyyy... (none)
            My cats go for poultry the same way that Homer Simpson goes for doughnuts, though Sharon is far more polite and restrained than some of the food whores prowling this house. :)

What's Bear's advice on getting groomed?  Sharon has some persnickety knots in her fur that she won't let me cut out with the blunt-nosed scissors, but I've never dealt with professional groomers before.

(Yes, y'all, this is hellaciously off topic, but who knows, maybe Bolton has a cat.  Although I doubt it -- no self-respecting feline would get near the sonofabitch.)

•  Sounds like (none)
      Your garden variety rethug to me. Probably a good christian as well.
      <snark>

Governor Brian Schweitzer: "He's sort of our Howard Dean on the ranch."

by Ed in Montana on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 09:52:56 AM PDT

•  Remember one quote (4.00)
      above all:

"I'm with the Bush-Cheney team, and I'm here to stop the count."

--- John Bolton, November 2000

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control, and we'll be lucky to live through it.

by Omar on Fri Apr 15, 2005 at 10:06:12 AM PDT

•  More than a thug (none)
      The behavior described there does not resemble a man completely in control of his own faculties. This is quite disturbing.

• Recommended (129)
  • Republicans (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Education (22)
  • Law (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Congress (17)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site