View Diary: Obama's True Brilliance Was Shown BEFORE the Rescue of the Domestic Auto Industry (141 comments)

•  Education is probably our biggest mess, (4+ / 0-)
    Imhotepsings, Hirodog, Matt Z, SoCalSal

messier and more complex than Wall Street fucking up the economy or going to war.  My brother and S-I-L are both teachers and both want to toss it up.  Pres. Obama can't fix the mess, but he's doing his usual excellent job of ensuring college funding, working with community colleges and employers on job-training programs, and focusing attention on schools that work. I suspect a decent reform package will end up in the works in a couple of years, but not before he's collected enough data to know what will work best .

by I love OCD on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 06:41:25 AM PST

•  His postsecondary policies are great, (5+ / 0-)
      Imhotepsings, Hirodog, Matt Z, NYCee, Geekesque

but Arne Duncan is not a favorite of mine.  He buys too heavily into the "accountability" thing, aka teach to the test now and forever.

The study of law was certainly a strange discipline. -- Yukio Mishima

by Loge on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 07:37:38 AM PST

•  I agree that teaching to the test results (2+ / 0-)
        SoCalSal, wasatch

primarily in obtaining a piss-poor education.  Accountability could mean something else, though.  I always wait to discover what Pres. Obama means when he uses words and phrases people make assumptions about.

His version of Medicare reform, for instance, seems to mean prosecuting fraud, negotiating drug prices, and cutting the fat from the budget for certain "providers", and other moves that don't hurt actual patients or honest doctors.  It's all about stealing RW talking points, then doing what any leftie could applaud if he/she hadn't bought the outrage hype.  After all the noise about Obama selling out Medicare, what we're left with is the truth- the Republicans want to kill it, he wants it to work better for those who depend on it.  It's amazing that he's stolen "fiscally responsible" from the RW insuch a short time frame.

by I love OCD on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 04:18:54 PM PST

•  i have no issue with him (2+ / 0-)
          NYCee, Geekesque

on Medicare but I'm referring specifically to race to the top, to Duncan palling around with Michelle Rhee, etc

The study of law was certainly a strange discipline. -- Yukio Mishima

by Loge on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 04:33:59 PM PST

•  I'm just saying wait and see. (0+ / 0-)

He usually empowers the crazy before cutting them off at the knees, and this battle is going to take incredible skill, a lot of time, and a huge amount of support.

by I love OCD on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 12:53:29 PM PST

•  I'll pass on one hint... (0+ / 0-)

it's not make republicians who suddenly found education "reform" rich.

•  He has no idea (or he doesnt care)... (1+ / 0-)
      wasatch

but he is destroying public education and the teaching profession. He didnt wait to see what works best. Rather, he drove education into the neoliberalized dumps, on a very shallow understanding of how his beloved (terribly flawed) data analysis can and will be used to kill a teacher's career, undeservedly (Or he doesnt care, just delivers for hedge fund operatives who LOVE his ed initiatives, pour money and effort into seeing them come into law.)

18,000 NY teachers, just last week, began to get their names published along with the unreliable performance labels, due to hokey data analysis (50% MOE) being used to eval teachers in the most inaccurate and unfair of ways. It was this that drove an LA teacher to suicide, when the LA Times published the same crap 2 years ago.

How to Demoralize Teachers

And there was vacant old Arne, saying it was a good idea to publish teachers' names and schools along with the LAT's  whacky data that rated them as failed... even when that was FAR from the truth. One respected, well loved teacher in a poor district, who taught ELLs and was never absent, tutored, etc... he killed himself when he became of victim of this crazed labeling. Rigoberto Ruelas. His students defended him, post mortem.

Not well thought out at all. Unless one happens to like this sort of stuff.

A Dark Day for New York

Should a "progressive" Dem blog dwell in the safe zones of a lame party, or should it drive a lame party to break out? If it cant, should it break out?

by NYCee on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 08:12:53 PM PST

• Texas (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • 2016 (19)
  • Environment (19)
  • Politics (18)
  • Media (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site