View Diary: On Death and Civility (335 comments)

•  Strawman (12+ / 0-)

No one here has suggested that anyone should "pretend they thought he was a good person."

I would rather be uncivil than a hypocrite.
    It's a false choice.  I mean, are you saying Shirley Sherrod is being a hypocrite today?  Because THAT was the model of behavior suggested here.  Not that you should say things you don't believe.

When the truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 11:46:17 AM PST

•  No, I don't think she's being hypocritical (12+ / 0-)

but neither do I think she's saying all she really thinks and feels -- which is perfectly normal and appropriate for a public figure asked to make a public statement on a controversial topic. They have chosen a path in life where they must value tact over self-expression at all times.

However, this is a thread on a political blog, and I am a pseudonymous nobody. This is where I go and the role I assume to say what I really think and feel. And while I won't go out of my way to call him nasty names, neither will I pretend that my thoughts and feelings about Breitbart were in any way positive.

You know what? Fine, there is at least one nice thing that I can non-hypocritically say, so I'll say it: it is an incredible tragedy when anyone who is apparently young and healthy dies suddenly. No one deserves that, certainly not his family or anyone else's, and I wouldn't wish his fate on anyone. That being said, he was a hateful man who wrought great damage on the body politic. Whether good enough for your sensibilites or not, this is the best compromise I can make between public respect and honoring the truth today.

I support torturous regimes! Also, I kick puppies.

by eataTREE on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 12:08:15 PM PST

•  I get it that it's tricky (8+ / 0-)

It's not exactly the first time a political scoundrel has died.  How do we remain civil while the mainstream publishes milquetoast about the guy and his fans move to lionize him?  I'm with you that it's a conundrum.

Again though, I don't think anyone is suggesting we go out of our way to try to think of something nice to say about the guy.  I agree that would be hypocritical.  But look around on all the 'mainstream' sites today and even here and the gutter is being wallowed in.  Publicly relishing a death is not the same thing as just setting the record straight.  People here are claiming that we have no responsibility because, as you say, we're just anonymous here.  But then what are we doing here?  Aren't we publicly representing a type of political and social perspective?  Why is that important some times but then we throw it away when we feel like it?  We worry about doing smart politics sometimes and then other times it suddenly doesn't matter.

There seems to be a lot of bad politics here lately.  Things that others can point to and say, "See, the left is just as dark as the right."  I thought the idea was to get more people on our side so we can do good things.

Anyway, that's not all leveled at you or anything.  Just kind of thinking out loud.  Peace.

When the truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 12:30:12 PM PST

•  Wise thoughts, Sun dog. (5+ / 0-)

Peace back atcha.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 12:48:22 PM PST

•  I hear you (2+ / 0-)
          maf1029, Oh Mary Oh

I agree that it's still important to consider the liberal movement's public image even in our in-house conversations. As partisan political bloggers we're not going to be held to anything approaching the standard a public figure would be, but nevertheless some of the things that have been said (not necessarily in this diary, but in others) were over the line and have probably to some small extent hurt our public image. I do not, however, put frank statements about Breitbart's deeds in that category: I think we can and should talk about them as long as we can maintain some basic human respect.

To every thing there is a season: a time to take the high road and a time to fight dirty, if you want to win political power. Which is not to say that there are no tactics that we ought to reject as beneath us; but after shenanigans in Florida, shenanigans in Ohio, voter "caging", dishonest oppo robocalls, flyers telling inner-city Baltimoreans to vote on the wrong day, three-pieces-of-voter-ID laws, and so on and so on, I think we have to admit that democracy has already been subverted. The only thing we're accomplishing by declaring basic "dirty tricks" like Operation Hilarity off-limits is giving the other side a pass.

I support torturous regimes! Also, I kick puppies.

by eataTREE on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 01:08:52 PM PST

•  Oh noooo! Not OH! (2+ / 0-)
            eataTREE, Oh Mary Oh

My problem with OH wasn't the 'dirty.'  It was the wild assumption that it would bring about a positive result if we all would just get behind it.

I've considered monkewrenching myself and in my case it's a bigger commitment.  I looked at going to the GOP caucuses and that's far more personal and in the open than just casting a mischief vote.  I know where the moral imperative lies in our age.  The big thing is for the way of the wingnut to become a dead end for political power.  They must be defeated at the polls for what they do before they'll change.  The problem with OH, to me was that it didn't make sense to me as a winning political strategy.

But that's a whole other discussion that, clearly, could go on for days here.  :-)

When the truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 01:42:51 PM PST