View Diary: On Death and Civility (335 comments)

•  No, I haven't forgotten (3+ / 0-)
    Avila, orange dog, sfbob

As the saying goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I was surprised that Penman, who had taken such a stand against hate in the past, was so negative towards this diary. There is another diary for spewing all the venom he wants on the Rec List today, if that pleases him more. Weatherdude doesn't deserve to be hung out to dry for appealing to people's better angels.

As I said in another comment today

Never underestimate the power of taking the high road.

(snip)

Because the best payback we can ever hand to a  Brietbart is for his children and grandchildren to shudder at his legacy and evolve into Progressives.

“Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” ― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man Political Compass: -8.50, -6.46

by Cinnamon on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 04:29:33 PM PST

•  Penman wasn't being uncivil (4+ / 0-)
      maf1029, sockpuppet, Agathena, roseeriter

He was stating cold, hard facts. That is sometimes misinterpreted as being uncivil.

•  Never called Penman "uncivil" (1+ / 0-)
        Avila

I called his response to this diary "negative"

by Cinnamon on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 04:41:28 PM PST

•  He wasn't being negative (2+ / 0-)
          maf1029, sockpuppet

He was being factual. The facts are negative about Breitbart, so it's hard to speak factually about him without being negative.

•  Each of those 4 points (3+ / 0-)
            VClib, Avila, alabamaliberal

Is a statement of opinion, not a fact.

Penman is not being factual, he is being opinionated. That is his right and I respect and support his right to have, and state, his own opinions. If you agree with them, that is also YOUR right, and you are welcome to your opinion. The fact that the two of you are in accord, however, does not change those opinions magically into facts.

An eloquent rebuke to those 4 points that Penman stated has been offered later in the discussion chain.

I will, however add one thing to it regarding this statement:

There is no evidence of any afterlife, so there's no such thing as "rest in peace.
            There actually is evidence of afterlife, from sources all over the globe, in the form of testamonies of persons who experienced full, clinical death and then were revived.   Dr. Elisabeth Kubler Ross, most famous for her book Death and Dying, also wrote about the stories she heard from patients. And anyone who has ever had  Past Life Regression under hypnosis can tell you that the memory of a former life, and the death at the end of it, is as real as any experience in a current life.

I am not saying this proves, beyond any doubt, that afterlife exists - I am stating the fact that the EVIDENCE exists.

Based on the evidence I have seen, read, and experienced firsthand, I am of the belief that there is an afterlife. But I state that as an opinion. And I differentiate that opionion from the fact of the existence of the evidence.

by Cinnamon on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 05:15:32 PM PST

•  Well his opinion (1+ / 0-)
              maf1029

about after life is an opinion, true. And having had an experience with a ghost, I have my own opinions. I also have opinions about after birth.

But what he said about Breitbart is not opinion . . . AB's contribution to the national discourse was deceptive and foul.

•  Sigh. (2+ / 0-)
                Avila, alabamaliberal

Ok, then...

2.  It is valuable to let a PUBLIC figure let his PUBLIC works and words be his legacy.  Breitbart's works and words were nasty, long, and brutish, and we need to help promote that truth of his legacy NOW.
                I am not arguing that Breitbart's works and legacy were positive. Neither did this diary. I am not arguing that any public figure's words and work are not his legacy after his death. However, the rest of the statement, "We need..." that is purely a statement of opinion. I need to breathe. I need to pay my electric bill. I do not NEED to do anything to help promote the "truth of Breitbart's legacy", now, next week, or at any time for the rest of my own life. Nor does any other Kossack here.
                3.  What the fuck are WE worried about his "loved ones" for?  I kinda suspect they're not reading Kos comment sections right about now.  That "loved ones" bullshit is just cover to make yourself feel smug.  You don't give two shits about his family, and neither do I.  It's not our business, one way or the other.
                Penman is entitled to his personal world view, but that, again, does not make it fact. It is, again, his opinion. The fact is I actually DO care about any children who are left behind after a parent suddenly dies. I do not feel smug about this. I find the charge that I only have sympathy as a way to make myself smug rather rude, to be honest. Another 2 facts: Penman has never met me. He has no business telling ME what MY feelings, concerns or motivations are. And as for it not being my "business" - to quote Marley's ghost, Humanity is my business. If he doesn't feel the same way, fine, but don't tell me what my business is.
                4.  Fuck civility.  I'd rather Shirley Sherrod have her job back, have ACORN helping the poor, and not have had our public discoursed served up big helping of Breitbarts ranting shit-filled lunacy.  (And I hardly thing Weatherdude is in a position to lecture anyone else on civility.)

"Don't get even; get moral."  I agree 100%.  And the moral thing to do is be honest NOW about Breitbart's legacy.  Anything else is smug-centered idiocy.

Well, now here we skate back into the realm of "fact" because Penman certainly has, indeed, fucked civility.  However, stating that he wishes the past to be different doesn't make it so. His opinion of Weatherdude is his own, and not a fact. I  decide for myself what the moral thing for me to do is. And finally, calling all other Kossacks' different responses than this as "smug-centered idiocy" is simply name-calling, not fact either.

Now all 4 points have been rebuked. I'm done.

by Cinnamon on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 07:14:51 PM PST

•  tell us the ghost story... (2+ / 0-)
                commonmass, Avila

"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." - Louis D. Brandeis

by VA6thDem on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 07:44:51 PM PST

•  IMO.... (1+ / 0-)
      sockpuppet

It's less venom spewing and more a doctor recommended detox purge.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pensées, #894.

by maf1029 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 04:46:20 PM PST