View Diary: To Those Behind This Ad, Please Respect Our Beliefs and Traditions (136 comments)

•  Lower one's opinion of them? (6+ / 0-)

Because atheists are held in such high regard in this country?  We're already treated like scum for daring to suggest that things for which there is absolutely zero proof are fantasies created for one socio-psychological reason or another.  We're demanded to treat religion as if it's somehow prestigious and valid and not truly on the same level of proof as ghosts, bigfoot, and psychics.

•  I dislike people who feel the need to taunt others (4+ / 0-)
      Mets102, Oh Mary Oh, sfbob, JDsg

My opinion of the group "American Atheists" has declined considerably due to their actions.

Don't care what you choose to believe or not to believe, but putting up the equivalent of a 40 foot high punch bowl turd is not the way to make friends and influence people.

and honestly if atheists are quite so sensitive about being discriminated against, well, taunting Jews is kinda...  tone deaf.

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 12:41:53 PM PST

•  As per the purpose for these boards... (2+ / 0-)
        Tonedevil, Carol in San Antonio

...quoted in a post by tytalus below, these boards are targeting closeted Jewish and Muslim atheists, not Jewish and Muslim religious believers.  The boards aren't taunting anyone, they're an attempt to get atheists within the respective communities to not feel alone in being atheists.  And when we get things like this diary demanding nonbelievers spell words in the same specific ways as believers, it becomes apparent why atheists in those respective communities would feel the need to be closeted.

•  Would the casual observer think that? (2+ / 0-)
          Mets102, JDsg

I'm walking down the street, and BAM there's a huge billboard telling me what I believe is wrong and completely ignores every tradition of the people who live in the area.

I as a casual observer, am not going to think this is an outreach for closeted atheists.

Look, there are other ways this point could have been made.  There are other ways to do outreach.  A blatant shock value campaign is downright offensive.  Sure they can do it.

But I'm not going to think well of em for it.

by detroitmechworks on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 01:24:36 PM PST

•  The diary is not 'demanding' anything (2+ / 0-)
          Mets102, sviscusi

It's pointing out an issue that some might find disrespectful - including those Jewish atheists they supposedly are trying to reach out to.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 01:27:18 PM PST

•  The diary condemns people... (3+ / 0-)
            koseighty, Tonedevil, gsenski

...for not following Jewish traditions.

•  ?? (3+ / 0-)
              Mets102, sfbob, JDsg

I'm seeing "please". I'm seeing respect for other views. I'm seeing enormously polite and gentle requests for respect of this particular cultural practice. Where are you getting "condemnation" from?

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 01:55:01 PM PST

•  I'm seeing more like... (3+ / 0-)

..."How dare you write the name of God!" and "Even though you don't believe in God, I believe, so you must behave as if you do too!"

•  Then we are reading two entirely different diaries (1+ / 0-)
                  JDsg

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 02:16:37 PM PST

•  More that we're just coming... (3+ / 0-)

...from completely different experiences.  Mine is one in which religiously required uniform behavior was significant reinforced, and that oppressiveness from religion nearly resulted in my death.  So to see something so, so insignificant like omitting a letter being demanded of nonbelievers, I'm right back there in my childhood being afraid of watching cartoons on Saturday morning or too afraid to go to Friday night football games because of it violating God's commandments about the Sabbath.  When you've been bludgeoned with "thou shalts" as much as I have, you can get defensive when someone makes similar comments, especially with those comments directed toward nonbelievers.

•  For my part, when I read stuff like (2+ / 0-)
                Catte Nappe, Prof Haley
                the great level of disrespect printing G-d's name in such a manner
                It is a violation of Jewish belief and tradition
                this billboard is so offensive
                I could see where a message of condemnation might be perceived from this rhetoric. But since the billboards seem to be going up in any case, I wonder if any journalists will investigate the views of the community, to see if this culture-based objection is that serious and widespread. That could be interesting, and might teach the American Atheists a thing or two.

There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death. -- Isaac Asimov

by tytalus on Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 02:46:01 PM PST

•  I actually value athiests, and the dialog. (0+ / 0-)

I'm sorry that others have treated you like scum for not believing. While I am a Chritian, I invite dialog with athiests, as long as it remains civil. I can agree to disagree. When discussing what each of us believes I take from the interactions questions that I don't have answers for and seek out a resolve. I don't believe blindly because I was raised going to church from a young age. And while the Bible says that I'm faliable, experience (and my wife) confirm it.