View Diary: Dana Loesch, #idiot (98 comments)

•  Please note... (2+ / 0-)
    congenitalefty, RenaRF

...that while I find your tone a little abrasive, I'm still recommending your comment.

The premise of your question is absurd indeed.  Just flipping it around is revealing.  I could just as easily ask:

How many kids who are well-served by public schools  does it take to make up for 6 kids who aren't?

How many kids who emerge happy and well adjusted from public school does it take to make up for 6 kids who were bullied into suicide?

You wanna play those kind of wordgames, go right ahead.

But the deeper point is that by asking a question that deals with kids as statistical entities rather than kids as human beings, you've stumbled on the core flaw in most large-scale educational systems:

The bigger the system's infrastructure, the more it's going to turn all the people involved in it into statistical entities rather than actual people.

And treating people that way makes a bad learning environment.  A good teacher knows her or his pupils deeply; a poor teacher treats students as interchangeable parts.  A good school treats its teachers as human beings rather than interchangeable parts, and provides its teachers with sufficient economic support that they can do their jobs without undue burden (student-teacher ratio, class load, administrative responsibilities, test preparation...all that stuff eats up time and energy).  A good school system treats its schools analogously, and provides them with appropriate economic support (maintaining infrastructure, facilities, administrative overhead, salaries).

And bad systems, schools and teachers...don't do those things.  (For some reason Republicans like them that way....)

The point is not that homeschooling is somehow "damaging public schools."  We should be asking ourselves how public education can be made more flexible and compassionate (treating kids as human beings rather than as statistical entities).

There are models for public education that don't hinge on standardized tests, and we need to be headed in that direction as a country.

So.... what am I doing about it?  Well, for one thing, both my wife and I are professional teachers.  She teaches middle school English in a nearby public school, and I'm a music teacher with a private practice and a couple of steady university gigs.

I have many students who teach music in the public schools.  Part of what I talk about in my (ahem) college classes on music ed is the problem of negotiating between the "business" of education and the real pedagogical problems that they'll face in their careers.  They will have to frame music curricula in the face of budget cuts and increased class loads — and without giving up their creativity and spirit, else what's a music teacher for?

Just because we homeschool our daughter doesn't mean that we're not in and out of schools all the time.  My kid comes with me to college lectures and plays in the back; she visits my wife in her (ahem) public school classroom.  And yes, we pay our taxes.

There.  That's my answer.

Freedom isn't "on the march." Freedom dances.

by WarrenS on Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 07:52:48 PM PST

•  As I said, that's fine. For you. I am still (3+ / 0-)
      WarrenS, JVolvo, RenaRF

skeptical of the many people who are not teachers who home school.

I'm not saying homeschooling is 'damaging' public schools, the Republicans are doing a bang up job of that.

I am saying not every adult is capable of effective home schooling, and the public schools should be effective, at a minimum, even though some at this time are not.

So, imo, there should be stricter requirements for home schools, which there are not, afaik.

If you do not believe that there is an ongoing war on women, then you aren't paying attention. h/t The Pootie Potentate

by glorificus on Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 08:14:32 PM PST

•  The talk of "stricter requirements"... (1+ / 0-)
        RenaRF

...unfortunately leads you to the question of just who gets to make the requirements, and what kinds of enforcement mechanisms are necessary to ensure compliance, etc., etc., etc.

And I never said that every adult was capable of homeschooling.  There are plenty of people who are homeschooling their kids who have no business having them in the first place, let alone schooling them.  We know those people — they're the crazy fundamentalists.  Public schools are necessary.  But they're badly dysfunctional as presently constituted.

Look at how fucked up our economic priorities are.  And ask yourself whether the educational priorities we loudly tout are not, in fact, analogous to our dehumanizing corporate economy.

Freedom isn't "on the march." Freedom dances.

by WarrenS on Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 08:48:30 PM PST

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
          RenaRF
          And I never said that every adult was capable of homeschooling.
          No, you can't move the goalposts. Your first reaction to my criticism was to ask me read those glowing paeans to homeschooling, as though everyone has the resources to do it.

They don't.

And I would rather have you and your little darlings in and fighting for improved public schools than allowing incompetent whackos to destroy the lives of their children just because the current public school system does not meet your standards.

by glorificus on Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:36:14 AM PST

•  Wow. (1+ / 0-)
            RenaRF

You're really determined to make this ugly, aren't you?

I have been engaged with the public school system in my state for the past thirty-five years.  I've conducted teacher trainings and seminars on educational reform.  I teach college students who are on their way to careers in public education.  I've been part of curriculum reform teams involving teachers from all over my state, and I've been part of multi-year public school residencies.  I am in and out of schools all the damned time, working with teachers and administrators on ways to keep the "incompetent whackos" out of education.  So don't blather to me about how you would rather have me "fighting for improved public schools."  I've been fighting for improved public schools since I was a public school student in the 1960s and 70s and began reading educational reformers like Herbert Kohl, John Holt and Neil Postman (yes, I read Neil Postman in high school) and pushed for "alternative" class structures as a student.

As it happens, I decided to homeschool our daughter because I am convinced that climate change will bring about a degree of societal disruption in the next few decades that we cannot currently imagine — and our system of public education is not preparing students for the likelihood of catastrophic infrastructural failure.  I want my daughter to be prepared with tools, skills, words, numeracy, songs, and hope.

We are on the same side of these issues, so spare me your outrage, glorificus.

Freedom isn't "on the march." Freedom dances.

by WarrenS on Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 07:05:45 AM PST

•  I'm done, you will do what you want. (1+ / 0-)
              RenaRF

But don't try to convert me.

by glorificus on Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 11:04:37 AM PST