View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Former Gov. Angus King will run for Senate in Maine (266 comments)

•  Because the Sen majority is potentially at stake (0+ / 0-)

Dem Party can't take that chance.  If he has progressive tendencies and no love for Republican party as you say than why not just run as a Democrat? He'd still be a lock to win the election.

I'm not willing to risk the Senate majority on the whims of Angus King.  He runs as an indie because he likes the idea that he is a rebel or something - who knows what he'd pull once elected.  If he can't take a stand against the GOP right now, wants to play both sides are to blame than he's not nearly as progressive as you claim.  The fact that he even toys with the idea of caucusing with both sides depending on the issue tells me he'll be more a headache than he's worth.  What issues would he caucus with the GOP on?  Or would he dance around that issue as well?

•  I'm sick and tired (2+ / 0-)
      Nina Katarina, gabjoh

of Congress being all about men, men, men.  Until they shut up about women's reproductive functions, we need to elect more women. Period. Trailing the entire developed world and much of the third world in women's participation s nothing we should be proud of.

Take the "Can't(or)" out of Congress. Support E. Wayne Powell in Va-07. http://www.ewaynepowell.com/

by anastasia p on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:00:41 AM PST

•  Not the entire developed world (2+ / 0-)
        SaoMagnifico, HoosierD42

we'll always be ahead of Japan...

21, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:10:44 AM PST

•  Gender not important (2+ / 0-)
        The Caped Composer, jncca

I don't care what gender my Senator is, I care though how he or she votes and the stances they take. I'd rather have a progressive male, like my senators Leahy and Sanders, than a conservative female. I also rather have a moderate caucusing with the dems than a conservative.

In the end that's what really counts.

Obama-Biden in 2012!

by Frederik on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:22:11 AM PST

•  Gender is a very important factor. (3+ / 0-)
          Xenocrypt, James Allen, IM

Your a man, I'm a man. It would easy for us to say gender doesn't matter.

20, Dude, Chairman DKE Gay Caucus! (College IN-09) (Raised IL-03, IL-09) Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren for Senate!

by ndrwmls10 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:38:29 AM PST

•  Linda McMahon vs. Chris Murphy? (1+ / 0-)
            The Caped Composer

Who do you take?

Hence, their positions matter far more than gender, which is what this poster was saying.

"What if you're on a game show one day and the name of some random New Jersey state senator is the only thing between you and several thousand dollars? And you'll think to yourself, "if only I had clapped faster." - sapelcovits

by rdw72777 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:50:22 AM PST

•  Obviously there is a difference. (0+ / 0-)

Frederik said gender didn't matter at all.

by ndrwmls10 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:52:03 AM PST

•  Look at how he framed it (1+ / 0-)
                The Caped Composer

he framed it exactly the way you did in your mind.  you may not like his syntax, but read his post.

In the end that's what really counts.

He'd rather have a progressive male than conservative female.  He cares more about voting stances than gender.  he doesn't care about his Senator's gender (you do, and that's okay, but its not the main issue in a Senate race with only 1 announced candidate)

The real problem is that some people on this baord are making this into way more of a man vs. woman fight when that's not the case.  When is Pingree's announcement happening?  After that the man vs. woman thing can matter (but won't to everyone), but it's not the main issue here, as some are trying to create.

by rdw72777 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 08:03:23 AM PST

•  I said to ME gender doesn't matter (0+ / 0-)

I don't presume or deign to speak for others.

Obama-Biden in 2012!

by Frederik on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 09:14:47 AM PST

•  it doesn't. (0+ / 0-)

19, D, new CA-18 (home) new CA-13 (college). Economic liberal, social libertarian, fiscal conservative. Put your age and CD here :) -.5.38, -3.23 Check out my blog at politicohen.com

by jncca on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 11:31:45 AM PST

•  Gender isn't simply important, (0+ / 0-)

it is crucial in the current climate. If 40 % of Congress were women, I guarantee Darrell Issa wouldn't feel as free to hold his little woman-oppressing dog-and-pony show. We've been seeing the same dog-and-pony show here in our state legislature. I am not saying individual men are not great and individual women can't be horrifically wrong on issues impacting their fellow women (Hi, Shannon Jones!) It's about the numbers and what those numbers lead to.

by anastasia p on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 10:12:50 AM PST

•  Using this logic (1+ / 0-)
        tietack

I can only assume you'd support Linda McMahon over Chris Murphy in CT-SEN.

by rdw72777 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:39:06 AM PST

•  Yep (0+ / 0-)

I would be saying this if she said no straight away and we were waiting on Michaud instead - I don't think Pingree should run now. Maybe if she had got in first then King doesn't. Makes me think the fix is already in.

"There are a lot of reasons not to elect me." Mitt Romney (R-All Over The Map)

by conspiracy on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 10:27:53 AM PST

•  I'm sick and tired of you assuming (1+ / 0-)
        HoosierD42

men can't have pro-women voting records.  I'm incredibly offended.

by jncca on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 11:31:24 AM PST

•  I've seen even ardent progressives... (0+ / 0-)

Peddle the "both sides are equally to blame" bullshit. I don't like it, but that doesn't mean it's reasonable to suspect King, who wrote in a recent essay that he admired his father for saying taxes are the price of living in a free society and disagreed with President Reagan that government is the problem and not the solution, fits in at all with the modern-day Republican Party.

Democrat, OR-01 native, Swingnut for life, and keeper of the DKE glossary.

by SaoMagnifico on Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:15:16 AM PST