View Diary: ME-Sen: Democratic Rep. Chellie Pingree won't run for Senate (234 comments)

•  i seriously doubt (9+ / 0-)

that angus king would caucus with the republicans. especially these current-day senate republicans. i just don't see it.

keep your eyes on the sky. put a dollar in the kitty. don't the moon look pretty. --becker&fagen

by homo neurotic on Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 10:06:52 AM PST

•  Wouldn't surprise me in the least. (2+ / 0-)
      ChadmanFL, askew

And even if he caucuses with the Dems, I expect he'll pull a lost of moderate showboating bullshit that waters down everything worthwhile. Not one tenth as bad as Snowe--more on the level of Baucus.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 10:23:55 AM PST

•  i'll leave room for dissnting expectations (5+ / 0-)

as it's been several years since i moved from me to ca.

but having lived in maine during his time as governor (i did not vote for him for his first term, but i did vote to re-elect him), i will stick with my contention that if he wins the senate seat, his caucusing with the gop simply won't happen.

by homo neurotic on Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 12:48:06 PM PST

•  I hope you're right. (1+ / 0-)
          homo neurotic

You probably are. It's just a whole lot to take on trust.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 12:49:40 PM PST

•  i totally hear you (1+ / 0-)
            Jane Lew

but the estimation of this transplanted mainer is that he was a very good governor. level head. not given to hyperbolics. smart. reasonable.

anyhow, i really do think that he'd be a good, solid fairly close second best choice.

worth pointing out though, that honestly, my preference would have otherwise been that he not have tossed his hat in the ring ... not because he would not do well by your average dkos member's accounting, but simply because i was, for a few days anyway, positively salivating at the prospect of turning this maine senate seat "d". senator pingree has a fine ring to it. perhaps soon, angus is no spring chicken. more than one term seems unlikely for him.

and also, more importantly, as others have pointed out, there's a solid potential risk of splitting the vote to the extent that some cray-cray 35% of the vote tea party goob wipe ends up with the seat (a redux of 2010 which yielded the execrable paul lepage as governor).

by homo neurotic on Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 04:24:12 PM PST

•  I'll have to agree with you. (1+ / 0-)
          homo neurotic

Angus was the class President of my husband's class at college.

He spoke at an alumni reunion I attended with my husband.
          By the end of his speech I was cheering him and wanting him to run for something just so I could vote for him.

I don't think I am that far wrong about him.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

by Jane Lew on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 08:18:06 AM PST

• Labor (27)
  • Education (24)
  • Science (24)
  • Congress (24)
  • Law (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site