View Diary: Breaking: Power Mad DA Charges Berkeley Professor & Students Beaten by UC Police. (283 comments)

•  the facts and the law have no place here (8+ / 0-)

this is a time for outrage! just because they ACTUALLY RESISTED arrest has nothing to do with their charges.

/snark

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. -John Adams

by rcnewton on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 08:05:04 AM PST

•  SO beating peaceful protesters is OK. (5+ / 0-)

No matter how many times the "police" tell them to disperse, this kind of violence is not OK. It's sad that so many support this violence against these women.

"I read this- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of $#!^ I'm never reading again!"-Officer Barbrady

by Broke And Unemployed on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 09:50:05 AM PST

•  if you resist arrest (3+ / 0-)
        VClib, peregrinus, slothlax

then you risk being beaten. plus, i wouldn't qualify these people as peaceful - they resisted arrest and didn't disperse (which is what a peaceful protest would have done).

no matter how many times you call them peaceful, if they do not disperse, they are subject to arrest. if they resist, i suspect they may get a beating.

by rcnewton on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 10:22:48 AM PST

•  Martin Luther King, Jr. never resisted arrest (4+ / 0-)

and he faced cops who were far, far worse than these.

•  But he was arrested on trumped up charges (a lot) (1+ / 0-)
            jpmassar

"Lunch counter sit-ins began in Greensboro, North Carolina. In Atlanta, King is arrested during a sit-in waiting to be served at a restaurant. He is sentenced to four months in jail, but after intervention by John Kennedy and Robert Kennedy, he is released."

"During the unsuccessful Albany, Georgia movement, King is arrested on July 27 and jailed. "

"On Good Friday, April 12, King is arrested with Ralph Abernathy by Police Commissioner Eugene "Bull" Connor for demonstrating without a permit."

"On February 2, King is arrested in Selma, Alabama during a voting rights demonstration."

“To raise the issue is not necessarily an expression of class warfare, as critics’ bromides would have it; it can be an expression of deep concern about the health of our democracy.” — The editorial board of the Austin American-Statesman

by Marshall Getto on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 12:58:29 PM PST

•  And publicizing the trumped up charges (1+ / 0-)
              rcnewton

were part of the point!

Look, this is not Alabama 1960. This is the DA of a county that four years ago voted over 78% for Barack Obama, a DA who was elected with over 98% of the vote. Maybe she is this bad, maybe not. I live 2500 miles away. But if she really is that bad, she can be easily defeated when she runs for re-election in this liberal a county. But she isn't going to be defeated by people resisting arrest -- she'll be defeated by a good anti-crime candidate who registers voters rather than tries to shut down much of the city of Oakland.

•  Resisting arrest is not "peaceful protest." (8+ / 0-)

Peaceful protest means that, when the police try to arrest you, you submit to being arrested.

•  Peacful means nonviolent. (3+ / 0-)
          Lost Left Coaster, JayRaye, jpmassar

Which means that the protesters are peaceful, and the "police" are merciless thugs and not "peace" officers.\

I will not submit. These thugs no longer have my consent to beat people up just because they don't comply with "orders".

by Broke And Unemployed on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 02:10:34 PM PST

•  You're asking for a pass for women? (3+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, slothlax, rcnewton
        •  I was taught that beating up women was wrong. (2+ / 0-)
          JayRaye, jpmassar

Apparently these "cops" were not. I feel sorry for their wives and daughters.

by Broke And Unemployed on Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 02:11:48 PM PST