View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/9 (331 comments)

•  They did, but they were pulled for (2+ / 0-)
    James Allen, MichaelNY

being unconstitutional several years back.  This was the next best thing.  And the fact that the FL GOP fought it tooth and nail indicates that they are far from toothless (and this FL SC decision proves that).

Sh*t politicians say: “Well It’s not a stereotype at all. This is a — you know, through the creative — this is a young woman in China who is speaking English. That’s quite an achievement. " -Pete Hoekstra

by KingofSpades on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 10:12:48 AM PST

•  You have a cite for that first claim? (2+ / 0-)
      James Allen, MichaelNY

As to the second, well, it's a matter of opinion. How much do you care that the districts look "clean" if the Republicans can easily retain a strong majority? Note that the House plan was cleared without much fuss.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 10:18:36 AM PST

•  Zornorph said that first claim. (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Also, the State House did a halfway decent job of applying most of the FDA's requirements while the Senate pretty much ignored it all.

by KingofSpades on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 10:21:07 AM PST

•  Well, with respect, Zornorph's claim (3+ / 0-)
          James Allen, DCCyclone, MichaelNY

isn't good enough for me. In fact, the FL Supreme Court notes that the framers of the FDF amendment and the voters chose to leave redistricting with the legislature, not that they had to. The FL Constitution says:

Initiative.—The power to propose the revision or amendment of any portion or portions of this constitution by initiative is reserved to the people, provided that, any such revision or amendment, except for those limiting the power of government to raise revenue, shall embrace but one subject and matter directly connected therewith. It may be invoked by filing with the custodian of state records a petition containing a copy of the proposed revision or amendment, signed by a number of electors in each of one half of the congressional districts of the state, and of the state as a whole, equal to eight percent of the votes cast in each of such districts respectively and in the state as a whole in the last preceding election in which presidential electors were chosen.
          And again, does the "halfway decent job" that the house did satisfy you? It isn't good enough for me.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 10:29:14 AM PST

•  Of course it doesn't satisfy me. (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

Also, they tried to get a commission on the ballot years ago, and the FL SC pulled it off the ballot for being unconstitutional.

by KingofSpades on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 11:29:21 AM PST

•  Do you have a link for that? (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 11:53:12 AM PST

•  I ask because, even assuming it's true, (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

I don't know exactly why it wasn't allowed. That matters.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 11:53:31 AM PST

•  Im really curious as well (1+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY

My guess is that the constitution specifically states the legislature does redistricting, thus establishing an independent commission is unconstitutional because it takes a constitutional power from the legislature and gives it to another entity not listed in the constitution.  Although, I'd guess most states' constitutions list who has this power so why can other states re-dictate who gets this power, against original constitutional will, and others can't?  Christ, some days reading this site makes me wish I stayed in law school, and other days makes me glad I got the hell out of that stupidity.  I just gotta keep remembering that in law school, I was a pretend lawyer who took the case concerning why some asshole can use pesticides without it constituting as a nuisance to his neighbors.  He killed all his neighbors plants and won within five class periods, fuck that.