View Diary: WA-Gov, WA-01: Democrat Jay Inslee will reportedly resign to focus on gubernatorial run (130 comments)

•  Awesome! We NEED Inslee and MUST defeat McKenna! (6+ / 0-)

This is a great development. We need Inslee to focus on winning the governor's mansion, and his WA-01 seat is pretty safely Dem.

WA is one of those presidentially blue states that elects Repubs for statewide office sometimes. McKenna is a much, much more credible threat for Gov than we've had in many cycles -- and recent races (WA-Gov '04, '08) were wins for Dem Gregoire on the very narrowest of margins!

We need to defeat McKenna. WA schools and higher ed, environment, social programs, worker rights and/or any semblance of tax fairness -- all struggling/threatened already currently -- would go into the sh*tter with McKenna in power. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a well-spoken, geeky/smarty-pants technocrat who is just as much of a retrograde corporate tool as any of the crappy state-level actors out there around the country!

In Obama/Gregoire grassroots work in '08, I personally felt it was all about giving Gregoire all the help possible. (Obama had it in the bag here, not double digit margins but healthy and consistent single digit ones.)

I think I personally persuaded only like 5 people to vote Gregoire (instead of their leaving that oval blank out of some malcontentment w/her) in the course of my making some 500 phone calls, but it was worth it -- and there were 100 of us phonebank/canvass volunteers there any given day, at that one of a dozen campaign offices, so do the math!

GO INSLEE!!

Reality - Humanity - Sustainability

by Em on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 12:02:13 PM PST

•  I might do a diary on this (8+ / 0-)

I think I might write a diary on reasons why McKenna should never be elected to the governor's office, to be used when talking to people who want to vote for him.

•  Please do! (2+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, princesspat

Would be very helpful!

Reality - Humanity - Sustainability

by Em on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 12:23:17 PM PST

•  I'll second that! (3+ / 0-)
        princesspat, Em, Eric Nelson

Daves Redistricting: 50 states + DC & PR w/ 2010 data. 42 states + DC w/ election data.

by dgb on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 12:37:48 PM PST

•  And here is a 3rd (5+ / 0-)

McKenna presents himself as a good administrator and a moderate on his website.  We need to know what he's telling his BASE about his plans for our State, to help convince the folks we talk to.  And I think it's going to take more than just Wisconsin anecdotes - we need McKenna-specifics.

There are too many people who think it's time to shake up Olympia.

We're ALL better off when we're ALL better off!

by susanWAstate on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 12:52:07 PM PST

•  Posted it up (1+ / 0-)
          susanWAstate

Although I don't have too many McKenna specifics written up yet. However, I have heard that he has been courting the Teabaggers like crazy, because despite his generally good image, he doesn't really have his own crowd within the Republican Party. I forget where exactly, but in some article I read a Republican operative was quoted as saying that McKenna doesn't really have a faction in the Republican Party that will stand strongly behind him, and so he has been appealing to the one that is most up for grabs, the Teabaggers. I might have to do some investigation on the matter; it would be fairly easy to do, since I could probably pass for a Republican until I open my mouth, lol.

•  At the annual Dem crab feed in Olympia (3+ / 0-)
            roadbear, jsquared, Zack from the SFV

Last month we had a presentation by Dem 'Tracker', Zach Wurtz, whose job is to attend and record Republican events, especially in Eastern WA - since they tend to give very different speeches in liberal Seattle than they give to their base wing-nuts east of the mountains.

With the video, we hope to call them on their hypocrisy.  Of course, they know who he is and often invite him to leave, with police escort at times.  He had a video of Rob McKenna ordering him to turn off his camera and leave a public event at a public community college.  McKenna's staff made three 911 calls, but no arrest was made since the Tracker was not breaking any laws.

It really makes me wonder what McKenna says when the cameras aren't rolling . . . . Here's a story about it from the Repub viewpoint. http://www.washingtonstatewire.com/...
            who_is_zach_wurtz_and_why_won%E2%80%99t_he_shut_off_that_camera.htm

And thank you very much for posting your diary! Tipped and Rec'd!

We're ALL better off when we're ALL better off!

by susanWAstate on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 07:55:32 PM PST

•  This Wisconsinite seconds that motion (2+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, Em

Like all too many people in my state, I had no idea how bad Scott Walker would be until last February. The ads against him were just the same sort of stuff that is run against any Republican, plus some parochial stuff that meant little outside Milwaukee County. Heck, I thought the guy was moderate! We can't have another wingnut governor elected due to this sort of ignorance.

Male, 21, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02, unapologetic supporter of Obama and Occupy. Tammy Baldwin for Senate and Recall Walker!

by fearlessfred14 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 01:22:43 PM PST

•  Goose all these downticket would-be abstainers! (2+ / 0-)
      ArkDem14, redrelic17

From phonebanking in 2008, I remember repeatedly talking to everyday (non-politically engaged) Dems of the mindset of "Am totally voting for Obama, but Gregroire not so much" citing XYZ small-ish reason, insert your pet peeve here.

All it took was a little bit of "If you like Obama, you would NOT like a Gov. Rossi, and truly, w/0.001% margin last time -- you could be in effect throwing it to Rossi" and just citing the fundamental good things Gregoire protects to persuade folks to cast a vote. (It was mostly GOTV Dem-to-Dem calling).

Generally, positive messaging works best, I think. There were 8 gzillion slimy things one could've said about Rossi, but people appreciate an earnest fellow citizen with positive messaging, and don't necessarily trust the words of a stranger calling them up and stirring up smack about a candidate (if even the guy's truly totally blech).

Reality - Humanity - Sustainability

by Em on Sat Mar 10, 2012 at 02:14:24 PM PST

•  Definitely (1+ / 0-)
        Em

It will be easier to do that after Inslee starts articulating a message and a vision. Until then, I'm mostly left with stating the many reasons why McKenna shouldn't be made governor.