View Diary: Alabama and Mississippi Republicans don't believe in evolution ... but do believe Obama is a Muslim (286 comments)

•  Okay... (3+ / 0-)

..I get you have a clear agenda here, & have a flock of sheep to keep in a constant state of agitation.

But my mother & father are Mississippians who believe Obama is a Muslim.

And if I ever see you in person, I will punch you in the mouth for calling them assholes.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in excess body fat and carrying a misspelled sign.

by wyvern on Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 08:17:50 AM PDT

•  If my parents were that dumb (4+ / 0-)

I wouldn't be calling attention to it.  But yee hah, y'all--go ahead and be proud of yer kinfolks ignorance.

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation..."--David St. Hubbins

by Old Left Good Left on Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 08:27:10 AM PDT

•  Have you tried to provide facts and information (2+ / 0-)
      susanWAstate, mightymouse

to your parents? Has it been in vain? Why do they believe he is a Muslim when neither of his parents were Muslim. He says his dad was an atheist whom he only ever saw for about one month of his life.   And his mother was spiritual , he says, but not religious at all.

I can see some who believe Obama is really an agnostic maybe but how in the world can he be a Muslim..even by a long stretch..I think his grandfather in Kenya ..was and that is about it.

•  Not really... (0+ / 0-)

..going to get into this any further than saying they are Fixed News addicts who are a lost cause.

But my main beef is with Jed Lewison, who knows good & well Mississippi & Alabama are ironclad bastions of Tea Party absurdity, yet he pretends it's such a shock to him he is forced to play the asshole card.

I've already gotten into it with Daily Kos hatemongers recently; since the Iraq war ended, & this site turned its attention to the culture wars & meta grievances, Daily Kos has disintegrated into as big a hate site as any right wing nutjob site.

And what gets me is Markos Moulitsas refuses to do anything about it.

by wyvern on Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 09:02:03 AM PDT

•  Those numbers are shockingly high, (2+ / 0-)
          wishingwell, milton333

even given the conservative bent of the state.  how about 90% of white voters in MS went for McCain.  the problem is widespread,

There was a diary this weekend that Anti-Southern bias is giving Romney a pass on his gaffes.  Still, for years we've been trying to sell an economic message to Southern white former democrats, and they're not buying and it's time to recognize it's not passive but active rejection of even being part of a coalition with blacks, once they started getting equality.  I don't think all southerners should be tainted with that brush, but "these assholes" well applies to the overwhelming majorities who don't recognize Obama's professed religion despite it being a matter of verifiable fact, ad much as conscience can be.

The study of law was certainly a strange discipline. -- Yukio Mishima

by Loge on Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 09:22:05 AM PDT

•  Yeah, some 50-state strategy we got going... (0+ / 0-)
        •  I save my hate speech (0+ / 0-)

for the leaders of the Republican party, who are either thieves or self-righteous bullies.  Blaming people who have been duped by these leaders and their minions is uncalled for.  I have relatives all over the South; some of them go along to get along, and others are genuine bigoted reactionaries whom it would be fair to call assholes.  I call them assholes.  But they're my family, so I can do that.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 10:19:04 AM PDT

•  Well, I'm sure... (0+ / 0-)

They're very nice people. I think a lot of us have relatives who believe these kinds of things (mine are from the midwest)... or at least have their suspicions/doubts.

Some people will call it "stupidity", but that's not it at all. Most of these people are booksmart on non-controversial subjects. It's just really hard to get someone to change their opinions - they have to admit they were completely wrong about a substantial core belief. How often do most of us do that?

So, instead, they look for "evidence" that comforts them. With the internet, there is no shortage of junk information that appears to be authoritative.  You can spend hours and hours reading about Obama's fake birth certificates, or climate change hoaxes... If that's all your read, that's your reality.

Not sure about your parents, but I think mine came from an era where "if you read it, it was true". I don't think they're well-equipped to deal with the onslaught of misinformation that exists on blogs/e-mail forwards/etc. My dad has forwarded me literally dozens of these chain emails... and every single one of them is bogus. He's continually shocked when I explain the fact to him, yet he keeps sending them... and hasn't yet figured out "the google". But, he is a smart guy - can explain the intracacies of tax law, etc... go figure.

Freedom isn't free. So quit whining and pay your taxes.

by walk2live on Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 08:43:42 AM PDT

•  I sincerely hope you have informed them (0+ / 0-)

of the truth.

Surely you would not want them to labour in that kind of ignorance?

NOT that there is anything wrong with being a muslim - but let's leave that huge hurdle for them to surmount for another day!

and you don't mean to threaten physical violence over an insult, do you?