View Diary: Bill Arkin Gets It Way Wrong on Drake: Why is Arkin Defending Obama on Whistleblower Prosecutions? (54 comments)

•  You are so incredibly wrong (7+ / 0-)

Jesselyn tore into Bush once a week for this same shit.  Read her Diaries.  She wrote several during the 08 campaign praising Obama for his commitment to transparency, and I am pretty sure she voted for him.

Here is her first one:

Start there, read the other 441 Diaries she wrote and then reflect on your stupid comment.

If a republican was doing this many here would be screaming bloody murder, but Jesselyn has something known as principles.

Call your representative and senators and the white house (lack of capitalization intended) to STOP this crazy warmongering with Iran, please.

by Indiana Bob on Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 06:27:09 AM PDT

•  Since you want to throw around the word "stupid" (0+ / 0-)

I'll tell you what is stupid.

Thinking that US Presidents are responsible for these polices and can change them at their personal whim is truly "stupid."

Do you think we still live in the 19th century where men like Woodrow Wilson have men like Eugene Debs personally arrested for violating the Espionage Act?

So quaint.

•  The president can fire the damn AG at will...... (4+ / 0-)
        chipmo, Preston S, Words In Action, BradyB

and the last time I checked, the entire Federal law enforcement structure as well as the Uniform Code of Military Justice report to the Commander in Chief.

The idea  national security prosecutions do not reflect the wishes of the president is simply absurd.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. ~Thomas Jefferson

by bobdevo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 07:40:50 AM PDT

•  No one who would do such a thing... (1+ / 0-)
          Don midwest

would ever be allowed to become President of the United States.

You seem to think we still live in a Republic where the people actually choose their leaders.

How silly.

•  Hey - we're still a Republic on paper . . . n/t (1+ / 0-)
            Don midwest

by bobdevo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 08:18:57 AM PDT

•  Read some Howard Zinn... (0+ / 0-)

My argument is not that this person is wrong...my argument is that she thinks the President (any President) can do anything about it.

•  Well, they can, if they're either brave or crazy.. (1+ / 0-)
                bdop4

JFK fired Allen Dulles and was prepared to restructure the CIA and withdraw from Viet Nam . . . and then he had a very bad day in Dallas

The idea that things have to be this way or that the president is powerless only creates more smoke for them to hide behind.

by bobdevo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 09:08:35 AM PDT

•  In my own case, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist (2+ / 0-)
        bdop4, BradyB

Eric Lichtblau documented that Alberto Gonzales (while White House Counsel) called the Justice Department and told them to shut down the case against John Walker Lindh.

So, stuff like this still does occur at the top.  Both Obama and Holder were aware of the Drake case.

My book, TRAITOR: THE WHISTLEBLOWER & THE "AMERICAN TALIBAN," is Amazon's #1 Best Seller in Human Rights Books for February 2012.

by Jesselyn Radack on Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 08:37:14 AM PDT

•  Thanks! (5+ / 0-)

From Politico yesterday:

President Barack Obama has forged a surprising consensus on opposite ends of the political spectrum: They wonder how on earth he gets away with it.

A series of recent moves — from aggressively filling his reelection war chest to green-lighting shoot-to-kill orders against an American terror suspect overseas — would have triggered a massive backlash if George W. Bush had tried them, say former Bush administration officials and a few on the political left.
      . . .
      “Virtually all the Democrats who were apoplectic about Bush and were constantly complaining about him ‘trampling on our values’ over eavesdropping and detention have been silent about assassination, even though it’s so much more severe,” Greenwald said. “It isn’t that Obama is necessarily any worse on civil liberties than Bush. The point is he’s able to get away with so much more.”
      . . . ..