View Diary: As expected, deal-breaking Republicans will take defense spending cuts off the table in new budget (128 comments)

•  And this time the Democrats have the leverage. (6+ / 0-)

Unlike last year, when the GOP had leverage of the crazy Russian Roulette kind, this year the Democrats have old-fashioned leverage. Polling numbers and automatic cuts already signed into law.

This strong position in 2012 was set up by a good deal in 2011.

•  I am not one given to panic... (17+ / 0-)

...or overblown fears. But I am familiar with history. And the leverage you're speaking of has existed previously and wasn't used effectively. It's a long way to November and you can bet that there will be plenty of Democrats, in the House and Senate, who will be cowed by Republican candidates and incumbents saying Democrats want to weaken national security. Sure, it won't be all or even most of them. But it doesn't take more than a handful to fly the white flag after a few minutes of pro forma opposition. Will President Obama sign such a "new" deal if it reaches his desk? Depends I suppose on how far down his poll numbrs are driven by rising gasoline prices that are out of his control.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 04:55:09 PM PDT

•  Another way to look at this (5+ / 0-)
        elmo, FiredUpInCA, RBinDLH, glitterscale, askew

is that no one was talking about this level of defense cuts before the D's put them on the table for this debt ceiling deal.

So many people around here have argued that the strong negotiating position is to ask for more than you want and then dial back from there.

That's exactly the position this deal put the D's in. And we got the debt ceiling raised to boot.

When the left can't see that kind of success, it looks to me like a need to wallow in defeat - regardless of the circumstances.

Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it. - Mahatma Gandhi

by NLinStPaul on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 05:29:04 PM PDT

•  $25 to your favorite charity or... (3+ / 0-)
          triv33, vigilant meerkat, FogCityJohn

...progressive political candidate if the deal survives unscathed by GOP maneuvering in the budget or in other action. $25 to the Native American Rights Fund if it doesn't.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 06:13:02 PM PDT

•  Did I ever suggest (4+ / 0-)

it would survive unscathed?

We seem to have a communication breakdown if that's what you think.

In the comment above I mentioned a "strong negotiating position" because they got defense cuts in the sequester that had never been on the table before. And down below I said this:

So there are miles of negotiation ahead in this game if that's where the R's want to go.
            What I'm saying is that the D's got the debt ceiling raised AND a stronger negotiating position for the next round.

If you look at this from the R's point of view - they have to get 2 things done affirmatively:

1. Reinstate defense spending
            2. Extend the Bush tax cuts

What the D's will be doing is either not allowing those or (more likely) making them pay dearly to get them.

That's a different negotiating position than we saw when the D's wanted to get something done and the R's could simply obstruct.

by NLinStPaul on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 06:37:42 PM PDT

•  Re: "no one was talking about this level of (5+ / 0-)

defense cuts before the D's put them on the table for this debt ceiling deal."

Neither was SS and Medicare cuts.  Except Bush tried it and never got away with it.

We delivered. They failed us. We have moved on. (h/t to my good friend)

by gooderservice on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 06:19:29 PM PDT

•  But lo look at the campaign clinking (2+ / 0-)
          joe wobblie, happymisanthropy

that corporate coin in their coffers!

Congress is at 9% approval rating - within the +/- of making herpes more popular than congress! - Webranding

by glitterscale on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 07:25:13 PM PDT

•  NOT (0+ / 0-)

out of his control.  He has plenty of levers if he chooses to use them.  If he isn't too "cautious" (hidebound and servile to Big Oil).  All it takes is a little backbone.

Of course, we ARE talking about Obama.

•  and Democrats simply come back with (3+ / 0-)
        FiredUpInCA, RBinDLH, crystalboy

"they were for it before they were against it."

Sorry, I don't see how this plays out well for Republicans. It will be like the birth control fiasco.

•  Far be it for me to argue failure is impossible. (3+ / 0-)
        FiredUpInCA, NLinStPaul, RBinDLH

I argue that the position the Democrats are now in is a position of strength. The burden of legislative change is on the GOP. Can the Democrats misplay the hand? Of course. The advantage is ours though, and last year's arrangement is a strong contributor to our advantage in 2012.

That strikes me as a good strategic bill not a bad one. Obviously, we disagree. That's cool. I've made my case. Now a neighborhood BBQ calls.  May everyone's dinner be scrumptious.