View Diary: Invisible Children ("Kony 2012") co-founder caught masturbating in public (140 comments)

•  It's really, really sad (11+ / 0-)

Doesn't anyone else think that perhaps this guy cracked psychologically under the massive, constant media pressure he's recently been under and then got drunk OR had a mental breakdown of some kind?

And publicizing this does not help Uganda and public perception of the very real plight there and in South Sudan (George Clooney was arrested this morning for protesting in DC against South Sudanese Governmental corruption after dining last night with the Obamas, with whom he discussed the situation at length -- he has a long history of activism surrounding Africa, if I recall).

I find this hurtful.

Part of me also has to go c/t and wonder if it wasn't intentional.

But again, none of this does anything but potentially hurt Uganda in the public eye.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:00:30 PM PDT

•  Yes, that's my thought. This will wash away... (3+ / 0-)
      kyril, mahakali overdrive, Amber6541

...a huge amount of the goodwill the organization has built up over the past two weeks--and they already had a large and growing number of detractors as it was. Meanwhile, as you've alluded to, the affected children of Uganda--Kony's kids--will only be hurt by this...

The "Right" thing is almost always the wrong thing.

by Neapolitan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:07:29 PM PDT

•  Human Rights Watch has the right idea (5+ / 0-)
        What will it take to end the LRA’s reign of terror? Millions of young people across the world watching a video about Kony’s crimes won’t end the brutality. But the massive attention generated by Kony’s unprecedented global notoriety should be harnessed to transform good intentions into concrete and effective action.
        Concrete and effective action for Uganda and the surrounding area strikes me, and many others, as stopping Nodding Syndrome, increasing awareness about the region in general, and helping NGO's there since it is impoverished and war-torn. Also, paying attention to Uganda's Gov't is very, very important. Ditto Sudan.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:42:41 PM PDT

•  Yes. (6+ / 0-)
      And I think "mental breakdown" is more likely.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I have never met the guy in person, and nothing I say here should be construed as a diagnosis.

That said, his personality and the tone of the videos made me think "bipolar" a few days ago. This incident screams "manic episode."

And you will note that he was taken to a medical facility for treatment, not arrested. That's not ordinary drunk and disorderly protocol.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:18:59 PM PDT

•  bilpolar people have mood swings but not (0+ / 0-)

exposing yourself in public. I am bipolar

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

by live1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:46:18 PM PDT

•  Some bipolar people (4+ / 0-)

have manic episodes with psychotic features.

How can I recognize psychosis?

The person may display bizarre behavior. The behavior usually reflects the person's false perception or belief.

If you ever have inpatient treatment on a psychiatric ward that includes bipolar-I people, you'll become intimately familiar with just how bizarre those behaviours can get. Disrobing is comparatively mild.

(Schizophrenia can also lead to bizarre behaviours and a lack of self-care, but schizophrenic thinking tends to be disorganized and much less goal-oriented - bipolar is more consistent with high-energy, focused activism and a belief that one is going to essentially save the world. And conventional religiosity too.)

by kyril on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:57:23 PM PDT

•  I just read he was on a 5150 hold (5+ / 0-)
            kyril, Amber6541, Brit, eglantine, ballerina X

For anyone who does not know what that is, in California, it is a 72-hour Psychiatric hold which you get if you threaten to kill yourself.

Apparently Russell has expressed suicidal ideations to the police, who have stated that he will not be charged.

All signs point to a mental break and a suicide threat.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:07:04 PM PDT

•  Not necessarily suicidal (5+ / 0-)
              Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (specifically, the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled.
              wiki link

5150 holds also apply to people who are exhibiting behaviour that's dangerous to themselves/others even if not intentionally suicidal (e.g. dancing in the middle of a street naked while exhausted and dehydrated) and to people whose condition is rendering them gravely disabled (e.g. not being able to understand that dancing in the middle of the street naked while exhausted and dehydrated is dangerous and illegal).

by kyril on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:11:22 PM PDT

•  Yeah, but almost always applied here (2+ / 0-)
                kyril, Brit

for suicidal patients. It's interpreted pretty narrowly from what I've seen, although this is purely anecdotal. We will see. I think this story is going to blow up. And that is unsettling to me...

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:45:11 PM PDT

•  Interpreting it (3+ / 0-)
                  mahakali overdrive, kyril, mamamedusa

My career has been in social service, with exposure to lots of mental health issues. The reason you don't often hear of it used outside of cases where suicide is a probable act is because the law needs us to be pretty particular in deciding what is a sufficient danger to oneself or others to justify involuntary commitment. Behavior has to be pretty "out there" before such action is taken. Sometimes the decision may be a result of some prior history, and we don't know whether this man has had other similar episodes or a history of this kind of thing before he became well enough known to draw news attention. Something else, which may not come as a total surprise, is that an individual's zip code, or "important"connections, or similar factors; can influence how the scales balance on using "drunk and disorderly" vs "potential danger to self or others".

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 04:06:14 PM PDT

•  still dont believe you! if a bipolar takes off (0+ / 0-)

clothes they have other issues rather than just bipolar

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

by live1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:09:02 PM PDT

•  You may be right (4+ / 0-)

The bipolar colleague I knew who did this had also heavily overindulged at the bar prior to the event. On the other hand, the other bipolar colleague who didn't disrobe spent days doing so many other very strange and disturbing things it would almost have been a relief if he'd just gotten naked in the street; and I have no idea why he didn't.

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:54:58 PM PDT

•  the sad part of being bipolar- you really arent (1+ / 0-)
                Catte Nappe

likable for very long. I tend to keep people on a hi basis. makes life easier!

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

by live1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:58:46 PM PDT

•  Actually, both were extremely likeable (2+ / 0-)
                  kyril, mahakali overdrive

Co-workers had been through a prior episode with "Bob", I was only involved with a second one a few years later. Both times he was warmly welcomed back into work and social circles once he'd recovered sufficiently. "Roberta" on the other hand didn't seem to think she needed to recover. She admitted her condition, and loved to apply it as an excuse - "Oh tra la la I'm bipolar. Isn't it fun? Don't mind me, sometimes I get weird".  Both as employee and friend  she was asked to take her weird fun elsewhere.

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 04:15:41 PM PDT

•  I don't know the particulars of this case. (4+ / 0-)

I'm not going to comment on them one way or another until I have learned more.

But I know I have "self-medicated" when under stress and had a few too many.  I also recall (after serious struggle) that I have done some incredibly stupid things in such situations (okay, admittedly not as stupid as what he did, but still pretty stupid).  I was fortunate in that no one saw me.

Maybe this guy is a real creep that needs to be committed.  Maybe he's a basically good guy that had a bad day -- or week -- or however long.  I don't know.  Yes, this looks pretty bad.  Does this and this alone disqualify him as a moral agent as well as the morality of the cause he champions?

Like I said, I don't have an opinion on this either way.  I've been seeing glimpses of it either way.  I'm convinced Kony is a bad guy.  Does that mean that those who point that out aren't cynically using that to line their pockets?  I don't know.

Ceterum censeo Factionem Republicanam esse delendam.

by journeyman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:25:35 PM PDT

•  And...vindication (3+ / 0-)
      2:08 PM PST: Law enforcement sources tell us ... Russell is being hospitalized on a 5150 psychiatric hold so authorities can assess his mental state. The 5150 hold allows authorities to keep Russell for up to 3 days to determine if he represents a threat to either himself or others.
      2:15 PM PST: Law enforcement sources tell us ... there are NO plans to charge Russell with a crime for yesterday's incident.
      Can we stop making fun of him now?

by kyril on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:05:09 PM PDT

•  Oops...link (1+ / 0-)
        mahakali overdrive

by kyril on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:06:02 PM PDT

•  Can we stop making fun of Ugandan victims (2+ / 0-)
        kyril, eglantine

of Kony too while we're at it.

But I agree that it's pretty damned clear that Russell has had some sort of break with reality and suicidal ideation. Otherwise, he would be charged. California cops are quick as lightning to charge people with this kind of thing. They would have to be overturned by a Psychiatrist, basically, to not do that. I just saw that same update. It came as zero surprise to me.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich