View Diary: Invisible Children ("Kony 2012") co-founder caught masturbating in public (140 comments)

•  To casually make that kind of comment (10+ / 0-)

is really hurtful to the real children suffering under his regime. Because Kony is a sexual predator. That's a fact, period. He's molested and raped a lot of kids, has fathered 200 himself, and has been reported to cannibalize people. I'm not kidding. He's known to drug children, arm them, and so on.

Given the ugly sexual overtones of the LRA and Kony,  calling a "penis" a "Kony" is just over the top and shows an uncomfortable level of remove from the severity of this issue. It's too cavalier to talk about something this serious in this way.

No personal offense.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:10:17 PM PDT

•  Seriously? nt (4+ / 0-)
      Marie, forgore, eigenlambda, Darmok
      •  Seriously. (3+ / 0-)
        kyril, ShoshannaD, Brit

I like you greatly and will talk to you about it more if my reasons for recoiling there weren't clear.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:15:55 PM PDT

•  this guy is accused of public masturbation and (1+ / 0-)
          congenitalefty

a few other things. You are not going to get around that. but weatherdude was making a joke and they are coming.

sometimes a joke is just a joke

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

by live1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:20:53 PM PDT

•  KONY != Russell (3+ / 0-)
            kyril, eglantine, Brit

Are you confused?

The joke was about Kony's penis.

Kony's penis has been a source of torture for Ugandan children, period.

What does that have to do with Russell jacking off exactly?

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:23:33 PM PDT

•  The joke was not about "Kony's penis." (3+ / 0-)
              Marie, eigenlambda, Darmok

The joke was about Jason Russell masturbating. It's sad that I have to explain that.

Take a chill p...oh wait, not allowed to say that here. Calm down. Activate your sense of humor just for a lil' while.

•  Am I misreading it? (5+ / 0-)
                kyril, Amber6541, Radiowalla, mamamedusa, Brit
                Who doesn't get drunk and choke their Kony in public every once and a while?
                By "Kony," you meant "penis," right?

I'm totally chill. Do you doubt that? Just because I'm trying to be level-headed yet firm about what I'm saying does not mean that I am being un-chill or need to relax. I'm eating tempura vegetables and speaking my mind to someone I consider a friend.

I have a great sense of humor!!!

It's just hard for me to have one when it comes to child molestation. Is that wrong? I earnestly don't think so.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:32:15 PM PDT

•  To underscore the magnitude of this: HRW (6+ / 0-)
                kyril, Amber6541, mimi, DvCM, eglantine, Brit

excerpted...

What will it take to end the LRA’s reign of terror? Millions of young people across the world watching a video about Kony’s crimes won’t end the brutality. But the massive attention generated by Kony’s unprecedented global notoriety should be harnessed to transform good intentions into concrete and effective action.

--cut--

In March 2010, a colleague and I went to Makombo, in Haut Uele district of northeastern Congo. We had heard rumors of an LRA attack there, but we were taken aback by what we found. Dozens of victims and witnesses told us how, in December 2009, the LRA brutally killed at least 345 men, women, and children, and abducted 250 others during a four-day killing rampage. This attack, one of the worst LRA massacres ever documented, had gone unreported for months due to the area’s isolation.

During my research, I’ve talked with scores of children who had been LRA captives. One story I will never forget is of 12-year-old Eveline (not her real name), from Bas Uele district, northern Congo. She was held for more than six months and forced to become the “wife” of an LRA commander, who raped her almost daily. Eveline was also forced to kill; she didn’t remember how many. She told me the LRA didn’t release their captives because they didn’t want their camp location revealed to the Congolese army. Victims were tied up face down on the ground. Eveline and other children were forced to beat them on the head with a wooden club until they died. To make it easier to kill, the LRA taught her to view people as animals. The experience left Eveline deeply traumatized.

cont...

I cite from Human Rights Watch because their reputation is pretty unimpeachable.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:38:29 PM PDT

•  What is your opinion about the video? (2+ / 0-)
                  mahakali overdrive, Terranova0

This whole diary on the naked filmmaker being chaotic, drunk and masturbating in public is ... NOT important to discuss, imo.

It's the video itself which should be analyzed as what it is, who made, why it was made and what it uses as subject with what kind of intention and for what kind of purpose.

I just saw it for the first time. Has it been discussed here in another diary? I can't find it. I don't want to comment, before I know what else was written here about the video on dailykos.

•  Sorry, I did not see your comment here first (4+ / 0-)
                    eglantine, kyril, mimi, Brit

To me, the issue has nothing to do with any one campaign, nor will it ever. I am, as I've consistently stated, simply pleased to see the Western world taking some interest in Uganda, particularly given how afflicted and unnoticed the people there have been. My own views are fairly uninformed by any of this particular group and couched in a much larger interest in seeing Africa in dialogue with the United States, as well as seeing anyone helped by that attention (which can backfire as well. I find some validity in the Imperialist criticism, obviously).

Remember that my first academic commitment has always been to Postcolonial Theory, which I'm not presently teaching but have in the past, and which I'm currently writing on further.

So that's why I continue to look to the big picture resonance about this entire issue, I suppose. I do know a fair amount in particular about Africa and African politics. I'm not an expert, mind you. But it's been on my mind for about the past year now.

I'm not sure what benefit an analysis of the video would serve at this point? What would be the goal? It's been wonderfully analyzed by many Ugandans -- and some other African people, particularly authors -- with powerful voices. At any rate, I would keep the question in mind at all times of "Could this hurt Uganda?"

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 07:20:59 PM PDT

•  mahakali, has the actual video been (1+ / 0-)
      mahakali overdrive

discussed and evaluated at all on dailykos?

•  In comments, definitely. (3+ / 0-)
        kyril, Brit, Terranova0

It's been discussed a great deal here. There hasn't been a strong analysis of the video content which I recall, per se, in terms of a diary solely devoted to that or anything. It's been mainly couched in pretty polemic terms, I think. To me, none of this has much to do with the group or the video though (and obviously I've watched it... quite a bit).

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 07:13:43 PM PDT

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site