View Diary: Invisible Children ("Kony 2012") co-founder caught masturbating in public (140 comments)

•  "exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition" (3+ / 0-)

Just how much masturbating did this guy do?

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:38:40 PM PDT

•  ... (2+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe, mahakali overdrive
      2:08 PM PST: Law enforcement sources tell us ... Russell is being hospitalized on a 5150 psychiatric hold so authorities can assess his mental state. The 5150 hold allows authorities to keep Russell for up to 3 days to determine if he represents a threat to either himself or others.
      2:15 PM PST: Law enforcement sources tell us ... there are NO plans to charge Russell with a crime for yesterday's incident.
      link

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 03:07:11 PM PDT

•  There is video of the breakdown (2+ / 0-)
        kyril, eglantine

it's really, really obvious that he's flipping out. There's a new statement that it is a result of the negative PR he's received and constant public scrutiny. He looks absolutely psychotic in the video and is naked but looks to be violently bludgeoning something like the soil. He looks enraged. Psychosis of that sort is, of course, caused by a lot of things. But the video is hard to watch.

I am just sad that this will have dire repercussions on how the world views Uganda. And it will. They will say Uganda is a joke or a scam of some kind. That's how Africa is so often dismissed.

My husband is a fierce opponent of the Invisible Children people; we've argued about it. He came in a few minutes ago. I looked up at him and asked (probably due to the language here), "Do you feel vindicated about the Kony thing?" He looked at me strangely and said, "It's absolutely tragic. Why would I feel vindicated? Do you really think that I would mock something this serious? I'm sorry for Uganda... and for the man's family as well. The only person whom I'd like to see anything like this happen to ever..." and he paused and gave a thoughtful look as it to consider it further... and then proceeded... "is to Rick Santorum."

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 04:33:59 PM PDT

•  I think you should give people more credit (5+ / 0-)
           I have seen lots of detractors of the IC group, and I am among the very skeptical; but I haven't seen anybody in those ranks suggesting that the desperate needs in Uganda are less than very real. I have also not seen anyone suggesting that Kony is not an evil and still dangerous man, even though his present impact is much less than it was when IC started years ago.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 05:06:44 PM PDT

•  I have a lot of respect for your insights. (4+ / 0-)

I really do.

But I ask that you consider another way of interpreting the pushback against Invisible Children and their Kony 2012 campaign.

I work with some talented young people who are passionate about global health. I love 'em to pieces for their hard work and youthful intensity towards making the world a better place. I have had the privilege of watching several cohorts of them gradually realize that showing up someplace with good intentions and zero skills where there is a need for things to be better doesn't really accomplish much besides giving them an impressive Facebook photo album of exotically malnourished people.

My professional judgment based on years of experience is that the very first thing young people with good intentions need to learn is that their good intentions are worthless-- potentially harmful-- in the absence of skills (clinical skills, cultural competence, language proficiency, etc.). Invisible Children's entire campaign rests on exactly the opposite assumption-- that passionate good intentions are a meaningful contribution to crises in other lands.

Thinking poorly of Invisible Children and its founders has nothing to do with regard for the people of Uganda. Consider the possibility that many people think poorly of Invisible Children and its founders because of their positive regard for the people of Uganda.

•  Well said! n/t (2+ / 0-)
            mamamedusa, mahakali overdrive

by Catte Nappe on Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 05:49:28 PM PDT

•  I have no opinion on either (3+ / 0-)
            mamamedusa, eglantine, kyril

I'm just concerned with Uganda. I'm seeing the worst things said online right now. That's all. I'd like to think this was altruistic, but many of the comments are outright racist, dismissive, and invoke the kinds of tropes so commonly invoked about Africa as impossible to fix and a lost cause or a joke.

I respect you completely. You know that.

What I have not stated recently, though have stated in the past, is that I have been working on academic research on African Postcolonial politics. That's where I'm coming from.

I agree that good intentions are meaningless without work. I'm also not a supporter of IC at all. What troubles me is the kind of language I'm seeing online. But if it's from a place of recently acquired concern, fabulous. Still, I'm a little cynical here. I've spent the past (almost) year reading and researching about why Africa is dismissed in the global political arena and how continuous Imperial domination plays out there. I'm not an expert by any measure. But it is currently an area of deep political commitment for me.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich