View Diary: The Slow Decline of the Oregon Republican Party (100 comments)

•  This is why it's important we fight this year (2+ / 0-)
    Had Enough Right Wing BS, koosah

even when it looks like Obama is a sure thing here, we need to make sure Kate Brown is re-elected as Secretary of State, that we hold onto our state senate seats, and that we retake the majority in the state house.  I guess municipal, county, and other stuff is important too, but I'm primarily concerned with partisan stuff.

I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate, perhaps that's what no one wants to see. -6.38, -4.15

by James Allen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 at 11:21:02 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I don't want to loose, (0+ / 0-)

but in some ways think it might be healthy if the Republicans could give us a good scare. Just to make us keep our head in the game. Sort of like if the Ducks football team had to struggle to beat a division two team, it might make focusing on the LSU's of the world take on even greater urgency.

I'm still partly reacting to Representative DeFazio getting less than the 90% support I thought he "should" have gotten against the climate change denier he ran against in '10. No, I know, that's unrealistic--it just didn't seem like the race should have ever looked as if it might be competitive. It really spooked me. Enough that I intend to invest much more this year (time and money).

I'm trying not to project my own feelings on the other voters, but I think in some ways it would be helpful if more of us were startled out of complacency.

It matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever. Henry David Thoreau, in Civil Disobedience

by Had Enough Right Wing BS on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 04:44:33 AM PDT

•  I don't know about the rest of you (2+ / 0-)

but I was plenty scared by the race for Super. of Education last time, when Susan Castillo won over some tea party nut by a very, very slim margin.  THAT would've been awful, especially with Kitzhaber's ed agenda.

Yikes.

And BTW, I think it is important to have Progressives running in even the non-partisan races.  I ran for school board down here, and believe me, in a small town, you don't have to declare what party you are with, you just see which businesses display the lawn signs of which candidates.  I know I won my seat in large part because the local Progressive community noticed the few key places where I put up signs.  That, and the endorsement of the teachers' union.

School board is technically non-partisan, but I don't think it is a shock to anyone to find out I'm Progressive when I proudly wear my "Yellow-dog Democrat" t-shirt around town!  LOL.  Especially not when I get out of the minivan with that "Obama 2012" bumper sticker on it, too.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. MLK Jr.

by koosah on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 05:07:23 AM PDT

•  I knew Susan Castillo a bit when she was in (2+ / 0-)
          koosah, ArkDem14

broadcasting. She is as committed a public servant as we have anywhere. Like you, I couldn't believe how close that race was.

Totally agree about the signs (lawn or other). I don't generally like to "group" people, still when a business endorses a candidate they can have a powerful influence on my vote. It's not a substitute for doing my own research, but can almost always signal how my ballot will be cast.

Special thanks for working on your local school board. I expect it takes a lot of time and effort, and most of us "forget" to express much appreciation. I hope it continues to be rewarding. Sometimes it may feel futile, but you can have a major impact in that position. We'll never have too many progressives who are able to serve the public.

by Had Enough Right Wing BS on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 05:28:35 AM PDT

•  no longer need to worry about that. (4+ / 0-)

The state legislature dissolved the position after Castillo's current term.

by James Allen on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 12:13:29 PM PDT

•  Art Robinson (0+ / 0-)

is more than just climate change; he's an anti-public education whack job doctor with serious family issues. It's stunning he got 45% of the vote against a supposedly beloved incumbent.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles

by ArkDem14 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 03:20:05 PM PDT

•  it was 2010 in a D+2 district. (2+ / 0-)

That DeFazio won as strongly as he did (carrying Coos County) when we lost districts more Democratic in other places means you probably don't need the "supposedly".

by James Allen on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 03:56:12 PM PDT

•  Art Robinson (0+ / 0-)

is a crazier, weaker candidate than Allen West, and that's saying something. And DeFazio's district has a stronger and larger Democratic base vote than almost any other D+2 district, so his victory isn't as impressive as you make it out.

by ArkDem14 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 05:18:33 PM PDT

•  We'll just have to disagree about that. (0+ / 0-)

by James Allen on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 05:24:58 PM PDT

•  I suppose (0+ / 0-)

Having read up on Art Robinson so much though, he just disturbs me and bothers me deeply. I think the only real excuse is that DeFazio's district is more politically divided than just about any other; it has large bases of lockstep Democratic voters, and large bases of lockstep conservative voters with a about maybe a quarter that stand relatively moderate and flexible.

by ArkDem14 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 05:37:46 PM PDT