View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Eric Cantor's super PAC backs Adam Kinzinger (88 comments)

•  As someone who lives in IL-16 (2+ / 0-)
    Dave in AZ, stevenaxelrod

it appears this will be a close race between Kinzinger and Manzullo.  Kinzinger's ads started about about 3 weeks before Manzullo even had an ad out.  People are struggling here, unemployment is much higher than the national average and there just isn't alot to look forward to.  Our forclosure rate has been high.  Kinzinger a young good looking guy who comes across in ads as very competent until you listen to his slams against Manzullo.  His biggest beef against Manzullo is that he voted for cars for clunkers, which happened to be a very popular program here.  Santorum is also here today at the Venitian Club, for anyone in the area.  I asked this morning if I could go (I'm at work), they all knew I wanted to ask lady bits questions and they smiled and shook their heads.  Romney was here yesterday and they had Ron Paul signs and Obama signs outside the venue.  Of course our news didn't show how many protesters there actually were, they said a few, my guess is more likely a couple of hundred and probably more than he entertained at his venue.  If anyone was actually there I'd love to know.

The first thing lost in war is truth.

by KatHart on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 07:09:09 AM PDT

•  I'd love to see Manzullo beat Kinzinger (5+ / 0-)

I'm not clear in which would be the weaker candidate against the Dem nominee in the fall, but a Kinzinger loss sure would Cantor look stupid (more stupid than he already is).

I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one!

by Dave in AZ on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 07:18:41 AM PDT

•  Agreed (4+ / 0-)

I was torn because Kinzinger might cast non-insane votes from time to time, but a loss would tarnish his rising star and could help prevent a statewide run.  However, staying in the House could force him to cast some unpopular votes that would come back to haunt him.

But now?  It's easy. Screw Cantor.

NY-12 resident, lives across the street from NY-14

by Bobby Big Wheel on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 07:22:20 AM PDT

•  The problem is there is no (2+ / 0-)
        stevenaxelrod, Calamity Jean

Democratic challenger.  They will have to be caucused in if there is someone actually running.  We might have a chance with a democratic challenger due mainly to what has happened in Wisconsin.

The first thing lost in war is truth.

by KatHart on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 07:26:45 AM PDT

•  IINM there is no Dem nominee in the fall. (0+ / 0-)

But that is just what I heard. Didn't do any real legwork...

Registered in NY-02, College CT-01, Spent most of the rest of my life on the border of NY-08 and NY-15

by R30A on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 07:34:22 AM PDT

•  You are correct. Here is a (0+ / 0-)

link to our sample ballot if anyone is interested.  Read it an weep, sad but true.

The first thing lost in war is truth.

by KatHart on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 07:39:40 AM PDT

•  Is there any way to get a replacement? (1+ / 0-)
            bumiputera

I know Dems were able to replace people on the ticket when they dropped out after getting the nomination, but that's a different situation than no one running in the first place...

29, (new) MA-7, Unenrolled

by Marcus Graly on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 08:17:02 AM PDT

•  The Democratic Party still (2+ / 0-)
              Marcus Graly, Odysseus

has the ability to caucus people onto the ballot.  For IL-16 I don't believe they will, unless with the change in district lines someone will come forward from the Kinzinger area.  This is a very odd area.  The city of Rockford has an Independant Mayor, Republicans and Democrats in the State house and Senate and they voted for Obama in 2008.  City Alderman are split by  wards.  Where I live on the other hand, which is a mostly rural area, is just plain red all over.  We have a joke that in the town I live in Democrats can only come out at night.  We are still looking for recruits for the local elections to caucus onto the ballot.

The first thing lost in war is truth.

by KatHart on Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 08:45:33 AM PDT

• Media (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Politics (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site