View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/21 (383 comments)

•  Except (0+ / 0-)

Treating old comments in the frame that they are new.  That isn't right.  Might as well say Senator Byrd is in the KKK or Jim Webb endorsed George Allen.  Both were technically true at one time, but aren't today.

The quote is 11 days old and is not new.  It's fine if you don't like it, but it's part of the same article that was quoted to death 11 days ago.  It's laid out in the DD very clearly as though it's a new comment (and it is not).  read David's context before the blockquote about his coming around and then he says something like this.

The chronology is laid out to make King look worse, and it's pretty intentional.  And it's feeding a clear and constant argument against King by getting the chronology wrong.

Thus it leads to false analysis (the more I hear about him, the more he says, just when you think he's coming aroundetc) when it's not "hearing more", its not "hearing something new", and it's just hammering the same thing over and over again.

So Jim Webb endorsed George Allen then, poor Tim Kaine.  Sheesh, this isn't political analysis or discussion, it's just hating a guy (who isn't elected to a damn thing at the moment) for not saying what you want him to.

Here's an article from March 11 that has the same quote in it.

"What if you're on a game show one day and the name of some random New Jersey state senator is the only thing between you and several thousand dollars? And you'll think to yourself, "if only I had clapped faster." - sapelcovits

by rdw72777 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 10:42:18 AM PDT

•  Wow, how blatantly disingenious (6+ / 0-)

Can you get. There is a huge difference between ten years, and eleven days.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles

by ArkDem14 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 12:10:41 PM PDT

•  Arkdem is officially my favorite person today (3+ / 0-)
        ChadmanFL, CF of Aus, lordpet8

anyway I can rec this comment more then once

•  Not really (0+ / 0-)

I don't see how it could be called disingenuous. My point is pretty clear in that there is timing issues (Byrd is dead fro crying out loud, so clearly he hasn't done anything recently).

The fact someone said something 11 days ago and it's being proclaimed as "new" today is far more disingenuous, but more importantly, not new.  Angus King did nothing today to deserve mention in the DD, yet there it appears as if he's made new public commentary on the issue.

by rdw72777 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 12:39:07 PM PDT

•  If I had bought a new car 11 days ago (1+ / 0-)
          ChadmanFL

would the fact that the car is 11 days old not make it new anymore???

•  The point is, all of 3 days ago (3+ / 0-)
            R30A, bumiputera, ArkDem14

King said

So while his preference is not to join either caucus, "that may not be possible," King said.
            And now we're taking an 11-day old quote and acting as if he pulled a 180 on a us again.

24, Solid Liberal Democrat (-4.75, -4.51), DKE Gay Caucus Majority Leader, IN-02; Swingnut. Gregg for Governor! Donnelly for Senate! Mullen for Congress!

by HoosierD42 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 12:57:36 PM PDT

•  Well, the previous quote (0+ / 0-)

used above in your post, isn't exactly a vote of confidence. I think King is struggling right now with the fact that his own idealism and egoism are hitting the brick wall that is parliamentary reality. I hope he will come to grips with himself and quit this silly pandering act that he doesn't need to be performing.

by ArkDem14 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:51:53 PM PDT

•  Well, there are two eventualities, in my mind (0+ / 0-)

Either a) he's just playing to his independent label and has every intention of caucusing with the Democrats, or b) he actually believes his own crap, but will soon wake up to the reality and end up caucusing with the Democrats.

Either way, we have a vote for Harry Reid in 2013.

by HoosierD42 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:54:44 PM PDT

•  More likely B, (0+ / 0-)

I seriously doubt he's gaining anything by all this. It excites people who already liked him, but aside from that all it does is make Democrats in Maine and Washington more wary of him.

by ArkDem14 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:58:15 PM PDT

•  once you drive it off the lot (4+ / 0-)
            R30A, HoosierD42, ArkDem14, lordpet8

its used.

I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate, perhaps that's what no one wants to see. -6.38, -4.15

by James Allen on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 01:11:58 PM PDT

•  As I said above (3+ / 0-)
          ChadmanFL, ArkDem14, lordpet8

It wasn't disingenuous. It was an honest mistake. If you click through the link, you'll see no indication that the quote is old, and the piece linked was published just today.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:18:00 PM PDT

•  I had a quib though elsewhere; (1+ / 0-)
            HoosierD42

why Maine as toss up? It should lean independent; King is still crushing everyone else. LePage and the Republican legislature are deeply unpopular. The Republican field is a clown car of teabaggers, all with little name recognition, no base, and not much money, and the Democratic field stands much the same. King is still the prohibitive favorite right now.

by ArkDem14 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:53:30 PM PDT

•  I think I mentioned in comments elsewhere (0+ / 0-)

I'd like to see some polling first, and to see how Angus holds up on the campaign trail after a 14-year absence. He hasn't been very impressive so far.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 03:14:51 PM PDT

•  Alright (1+ / 0-)
                James Allen

Even so, I just don't see any opening for Matt Dunlap to get traction, nor for any of the Republican candidates to break 34%.

Didn't PPP show him with big leads?

by ArkDem14 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:26:39 PM PDT

•  No (0+ / 0-)

PPP only tested him in one matchup, and that featured Pingree, and he led by just 5.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 09:00:19 PM PDT

•  That's what I meant (0+ / 0-)

Based on that match up, I believe his leads would be quite overwhelming now.

by ArkDem14 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 01:25:28 AM PDT

•  We'll see (0+ / 0-)

Even Libby Mitchell, a terrible candidate running a terrible campaign in a terrible year, got 19%. If that's the absolute floor for a Maine Dem running in a three-way race with a credible independent, then there's probably a limit to how big King's lead could be right now.

Anyhow, we'll see what the next polls & other developments say. If Angus develops a definite advantage, then we'll move it to Lean I.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Fri Mar 23, 2012 at 08:49:47 AM PDT

•  Only one 3-way poll has been taken (0+ / 0-)

And King led Chellie Pingree by 5 points, 36-31, with SoS Charlie Summers getting 28. I imagine any current polls would show larger leads against Dems with lower name recognition like Dunlap.

by HoosierD42 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 09:01:25 PM PDT