View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/21 (383 comments)

•  He barely even lost his first race (2+ / 0-)
    James Allen, SLDemocrat

against a sitting State Rep. That was impressive. He's far from becoming Harold Stassen or Jim Oberweis.

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 07:41:20 PM PDT

•  One race away. (0+ / 0-)

20, Dude, Chairman DKE Gay Caucus! (College IN-09) (Raised IL-03, IL-09) Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren for Senate!

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 07:43:04 PM PDT

•  Can you please show me (5+ / 0-)

the handbook which has the "Three Strikes and You're Out" rule? cause this is Oberweis' fifth try and it's looking like he's going to make it.

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 07:51:17 PM PDT

•  Oberweis has run for office 3 times. (1+ / 0-)
          ChadmanFL

He's running for State Senate this year. I don't know if he won his primary. I was making the comment that Raja would be one race away from him.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 08:04:19 PM PDT

•  Wrong (0+ / 0-)

Oberweis has run for office five times, actually, if you count his two Congress runs (special election and full term) separately. Then there's his 2006 Governor run (lost to now-Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka), 2002 Senate run (lost to now-State Rep. Jim Durkin) and 2004 Senate run (lost to Jack Ryan, ex-husband of Jeri Ryan). And Oberweis won his State Senate primary with relative ease. Of course, that shows two things:

1) Raja hasn't run for office nearly as many times as Oberweis
            2) Even if he had, that wouldn't mean he has no future.

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 08:11:32 PM PDT

•  My mistake. (0+ / 0-)

I looked at Wikipedia. I don't follow his career. You can't deny 2 primary losses doesn't hurt him, even a little.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 08:13:36 PM PDT

•  I don't follow his career either (1+ / 0-)
                SLDemocrat

and does it hurt him? Sure, but it's not the end of the world. (Also, looking above, I realize now that this was about wwmiv's crush, not Raja - my bad for jumping on you about that, although I think it's the same point in the end.)

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 08:20:21 PM PDT

•  He never won a race (2+ / 0-)
            lordpet8, bumiputera

But Bob Kelleher of Montana was a fun gadfly candidate.  He ran in and lost 12 different elections.  In his 12th and final race  at age 85 he ran in the 2008 republican primary and somehow managed to win the nomination with 36% of the vote despite having bizarre positions for a guy running as a republican.  He lost to Senator Baucus 73-27%, spending almost no money and getting no support from the GOP in the race.  He just passed away last year at 88.

•  What exactly do you have against Raja? (1+ / 0-)
            SLDemocrat

Is it just because he was running against Tammy Duckworth?

24, Solid Liberal Democrat (-4.75, -4.51), DKE Gay Caucus Majority Leader, IN-02; Swingnut. Gregg for Governor! Donnelly for Senate! Mullen for Congress!

by HoosierD42 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 09:04:02 PM PDT

•  I have absolutly nothing against Raja. (0+ / 0-)

I would hope he has a future, but he just went through a 2nd primary defeat, which I think is a big deal. He's yet to win elected office. I think he should aim lower at this point.

Although, now that I think about, he lost to a man, who went on to loss by 12 points. Granted it was against Judy Baar Topinka, but still that's also not the best thing for him. I've never seen Raja speaking or interacting with people. I've always taken other people's word that he was a rising star. I guess I should check him out for myself.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 09:28:11 PM PDT

•  That's fine, you just seemed to be (1+ / 0-)
                James Allen

unreasonably harsh against him. The only thing I could fault him for was the boneheaded move continuing to run for IL-08 when everyone was backing Duckworth. He could have easily dropped down to Senate.

He certainly isn't a perennial gadfly, he's the former Deputy State Treasurer.

by HoosierD42 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 11:49:16 PM PDT

•  Dropped down to Senate (0+ / 0-)

and primaried incumbent State Sen. Michael Noland?

Considering Noland's actual primary challenger got destroyed by the same margin as Raja, I don't think that would have ended differently.

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut