View Diary: How often have candidates like Brad Schneider become Members of Congress? (63 comments)

•  All I need to know about Schneider (1+ / 0-)
    Railfan

is that he ran to the right of Sheyman.  I don't live in the state, so I don't know the details of anyone's campaign, but my impression is that Schneider falls into the "more democrats" category without being in the "better" category.  I think you might be trying to see if you can put lipstick on a blue dog here.

All it takes is security in your own civil rights to make you complacent.

by Dave in Northridge on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 12:37:26 PM PDT

•  Not really (6+ / 0-)

Schneider and Sheyman agree on most issues, so that's not a fair characterization. Schneider has donated to Republicans (and hasn't apologized for doing so) and may well turn out to be a real douchebag, but at least he's not, say, Dan Lipinski.

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 01:14:15 PM PDT

•  A couple of thoughts on that: (5+ / 0-)

Firstly, as a resident of IL-9, just south of IL-10, I can tell you that IL-10 has within my lifetime always been a moderate Republican district. Bob Dold was helped two years ago by the national teabagging craze and the general weakness of Dan Seals.

Secondly, in this redrawn 10th, the Democrat has a damn good chance of winning come November. And while you're correct about Schneider running to the right of Sheyman, he will also be running to the left of Dold. Anywhere left of Dold will be an improvement.

•  I wish Rep Julie Hamos (0+ / 0-)

had run. Or that primary voters hadn't been so dumb as to nominate Dan Seals a 3rd time.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles

by ArkDem14 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:50:43 PM PDT

•  I was just curious if there had been similar (3+ / 0-)

House candidates who had been successful in recent memory, since we were debating the point on DKE.  (And since I, to be honest, got a bit annoyed with the constant repetition that apolitical businessmen made good Congressional candidates when I couldn't think of too many who had been.  But a few have!)

26, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-14 (formerly PA-02/NY-12).

by Xenocrypt on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 01:35:41 PM PDT

•  Actually (0+ / 0-)

Sheyman falls into the "no Democrats" category, because he wouldn't win. Schneider claimed there was "no political difference between me and Sheyman, are ideologies are the same" in a flyer sent to voters. The "Blue Dog" aura comes from several donations made a couple of years back to Republicans, which he credits to their "long standing support of Israel" and says he wasn't really politically involved back then.

(-7.62, -6.31), Blood type "O", Democratic-socialist, social anarchist, KY-01, "When smashing monuments, save the pedestals. They always come in handy." — Stanisław Lem

by Setsuna Mudo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:01:48 PM PDT

•  He didn't apologize for the contributions (2+ / 0-)
        IdahoSocialist, kman23

and Sheyman wouldn't win? Let me guess, because of his "profile," right? Brb, taking a shot.

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:04:38 PM PDT

•  He "wouldn't win"? (3+ / 0-)
        sapelcovits, IdahoSocialist, kman23

I think that's a little strong and definitive.  Although the fact that he lost to an amateur like Brad Schneider doesn't speak too well of him.

by Xenocrypt on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:05:13 PM PDT

•  It doesn't, no (1+ / 0-)
          ArkDem14

but as you said, winning a primary doesn't necessarily prove one's chops - so losing a primary isn't the best indication of a candidate's suckiness, either. (And look at how Dan Hynes got absolutely crushed in the 2004 IL-Sen primary yet nearly won the Gov primary six years later. I don't think anyone would argue he was a weak candidate.)

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:07:27 PM PDT

•  by 8 percentage points nonetheless. (0+ / 0-)

Unless it's demonstrable that the primary electorate is widely geographically, economically, or racially, different than the district as a whole I'm not really interested in bemoaning the loss of a candidate who can't make it through the primary, if they couldn't dispatch the allegedly weak primary challenger how strong can they really be?

by Setsuna Mudo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 02:12:20 PM PDT