View Diary: Marriage equality repeal defeated almost 2 to 1 in New Hampshire state house! (237 comments)

•  Yep, we're going to win it probably. (18+ / 0-)

HOWEVER: BiPM, Michael and I have had some pretty serious discussions about that. For the most part, I agree with Bill, that it should not be put up to a plebiscite. That's what took away marriage equality here after the lege passed it and Gov. Baldacci signed it saying "It's simply the right thing to do". I've worked the grassroots on this here but I do agree with BiPM: it's an issue that really is for the courts. On the other hand, as I said over a game of 8-ball a while back, "I'll take it any way I can get it".

Which is saying something. No one wants to marry me. But if someone did, well, then, I want my mutterfreaking RIGHTS!

Santorum: Man on Dog; Romney: Dog on Car. Ren and Stimpy: Dog on Cat equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 03:28:17 PM PDT

•  The way I see it: (12+ / 0-)

It shouldn't be put up for a vote, but now that it's on the ballot we better win!

Also, it'll be extremely nice when NOM's talking point about how it's always voted down is smashed to pieces.

One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness. ~Towards a Quaker View of Sex, 1964 (Proud left-handed queer here!) SSP: wmlawman

by AUBoy2007 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 03:30:34 PM PDT

•  I agree. (11+ / 0-)

But we have to live with the political system that exists.

Not the ideal one we'd like to have.

And we do vote on minority rights in this country.

So, why not use it to our advantage when we can?

It will be a really big moment, and rob the right of their "People always vote it down" talking point.

And signal a sea change. And give us a new talking point, "People can change their minds and embrace love..."

"Good God, Lemon! What happened to you in childhood to make you believe people are good?"--Jack Donaghy

by Scott Wooledge on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 03:39:37 PM PDT

•  wait (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, sfbob

Can I just savor that for a moment?

Yep, we're going to win it probably.
          -commonmass
      Yep, we're going to win it probably.
          -commonmass
      Yep, we're going to win it probably.
          -commonmass
      Yep, we're going to win it probably.
          -commonmass
      Yep, we're going to win it probably.
          -commonmass
      Yep, we're going to win it probably.
          -commonmass
      I just love hearing that.
      •  I'm not just pulling that out of my patulous (2+ / 0-)
        ms badger, Mindful Nature

arse. The numbers are with us, the Catholic Church is broke and said that they can't afford to fight it, everyone else is either a total wingnut or "from away" ("outside agitator") not to mention that a survey of people who signed the original Question 1 petition to overturn equality (which we already had, btw) has said that nearly 25 percent of those who originally opposed it have changed their minds.

Yep, we're going to win it probably.

We still need to GOTV and you can see how to help us at

equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:06:42 PM PDT

•  Why why why do you make me look things up (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

on the internet. Now I know what "patulous" means. And I can't un-know it.

•  Because I am an imp. Come on, you're married (1+ / 0-)
            sfbob

to one. ;)

by commonmass on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:58:05 PM PDT

•  Hey, that's nothing. I actually had an appropriate (1+ / 0-)
            blueoasis

occasion in another diary to use the word "antidisestablishmentarians" today. You got off lightly.

by commonmass on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:59:35 PM PDT

•  I see your antidis.. and patulous (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

and raise a concatenation. Which I didn't know until two days ago. And I'm ADD!

I just have to say this really made my day.
              Even though the NOM nut crying in the NY legislature was an old pic, it was sweet.
              Even though BOA finally did the foreclosure at 10am and I have no idea where I will be moving in 9 days,
              I feel SO good.

The only booze left is some rum. Just gotta figure out what to dilute it with ;)

by Ginny in CO on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 08:13:49 PM PDT

•  Oh hardly good sir (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

"Antidisestablishmentarianism" is a relatively abstract concept in the history of religion. "Patulousness" is rather different. (I was going to say "Patulousness is anything but that" however even I couldn't stoop to so low a pun. On second thought, I just did).

On the other hand you're quite right; I'm married to an imp. Imps are fun though often vexing.

•  Defenestration (0+ / 0-)

(that one's for Christopher :) )

The Czechs know how to handle their legislative disputes.

sin and love and fear are just sounds that people who never sinned nor loved nor feared have for what they never had and cannot have until they forget the words

by harrije on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 10:22:57 PM PDT

•  The wheels of justice turn incredibly slow (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, blueoasis

Witness California, where four years post Prop H8, we're still waiting for a resolution.

The optimist sees the glass as half-full. The pessimist sees the glass as half-empty. The realist just knows she's thirsty.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:19:32 PM PDT

•  I'd agree, but it's serial meme killing (2+ / 0-)
      Scott Wooledge, harrije

First, it was activist liberal judges, denying people the right to vote on the issue. Denying democracy, or something.

Then it was runaway out-of-touch legislators bought with out-of-state money. More denying people the right to vote.

NH standing strong, with Republicans crossing the line, sends a message.

Maine changing its mind reversing the repeal in a popular vote, in a fairly rural conservative state, kills their last meme. It kills their last excuse.

That sends a very very string message. It is not the end. It is not the beginning of the end. But it is the end of the beginning. When we win in Maine this Fall, the bottom falls out of NOM.

Democrats are not always right, but Republicans are insane.

by BobBlueMass on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 06:13:26 PM PDT

•  think of the affect on NOM's donors (1+ / 0-)
        harrije

How many more cycles will their conservative multi-millionaires want to throw hundreds of thousands to stave off the inevitable?

by Scott Wooledge on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 06:25:37 PM PDT

•  Racing (1+ / 0-)
          Scott Wooledge

The Flat Earth Society and the Komen Foundation to obscurity.

Watching the world pass them by.

Democrats are not always right, but Republicans are insane.

by BobBlueMass on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 06:41:28 PM PDT

•  Well, fools and their money, etc. (0+ / 0-)

But when NOM stops winning anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, on any of the available playing fields, we'll have crossed a major hurdle towards federal standardization of marriage equality.

Victories in the courts, legislatures, referenda, vox populi, executive action, corporate benefits recognition, and purplish-blue oases like Dallas and Houston...

ALL COUNT when it comes to eventual SCOTUS action. It certainly helps to be right on the merits, but what really pushes the decision is the critical mass of history.

by harrije on Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 10:31:08 PM PDT

•  Maine, Washington and Minnesota (0+ / 0-)

all on the same night