View Diary: How regulation came to be: Pasteurization (205 comments)

•  So what - that you never got sick from it? (8+ / 0-)

I never got sick from eating raw chocolate chip cookie dough - until I got sick from eating raw cookie dough.

I did it for years. The whole time I was growing up, it was always a treat to get to lick the bowl and the beaters after we'd made brownies or cake or cookies, and eating spoonfuls of chocolate chip cookie dough was my favorite.

Until I got sick, and puked for hours, long after there wasn't anything really left in my stomach even.

So your assertion that you've never gotten sick from doing something is 100% irrelevant anecdotal information. And you're apparently too stupid to even know that - that your personal experience is irrelevant to the overall average risk to the general public.

I swear - the grandmother survived, and her brother didn't, yet they were raised with the same stuff. And what you're doing is saying "well, look, see, the grandma didn't die - it can't be bad for someone", despite the fact that we HAVE evidence that it WAS bad for many people.

•  Have all the puss filled homogenized nutrientless (0+ / 0-)

milk you like. That's your choice. My problem is with people trying to stop me from drinking raw milk.

Raw milk is what we drank for thousands of years. Glad to know you think you are smarter than evolution.

It was the mass production of milk that made it dangerous, fyi.

•  We didn't have antibiotics for 1,000s of years (3+ / 0-)
        gnbhull, mmacdDE, dsteffen

Does that mean we shouldn't use them in cases where they're going to save lives? If you want to drink raw milk, more power to you, but the "our ancestors didn't do X, so we shouldn't either" is a seriously fallacious argument.

Kelly McCullough - author of the WebMage series and the Fallen Blade books (Penguin/ACE)

by KMc on Mon Mar 26, 2012 at 08:33:23 AM PDT

•  Comparing apples to asphalt. Don't try again. (0+ / 0-)

I can't take the idiocy here.

•  Adult milk drinking is Northwest European (2+ / 0-)
            dsteffen, eigenlambda

Most of the rest of the world didn't get hooked on dairy, stopped drinking milk when they were weaned from their mothers, and were (and are) incapable of properly digesting lactose.

You're using a rather small sample of "we", and an even smaller one when you cite only your own experience.

If it's
            Not your body,
            Then it's
            Not your choice
            And it's
            None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Mon Mar 26, 2012 at 09:39:23 AM PDT

•  You made a fallacious argument (3+ / 0-)
            gnbhull, dsteffen, eigenlambda

I called you on it. Why on Earth wouldn't I do it again? Seriously? I don't care if you want to drink raw milk. Go for it. Drink it by the bucket. But don't claim that just because something's been done for thousands of years it's good for people. It's a stupid and easily shot down argument, and doesn't help your case. Neither does getting in a snit when you get called on it.

by KMc on Mon Mar 26, 2012 at 09:39:56 AM PDT

•  I didn't make a fallacious argument and you (0+ / 0-)

didn't call me on anything. Your statement has little bearing on anything. The fact that humans have been safely drinking raw milk for milleniums has nothing to do with not having anti-biotics.

I am sorry you think you have made some point but you haven't.

•  safely? How do you know it was safe? (0+ / 0-)

Presumably, from taking samples from milk supplies through the ages and checking them for diseases?

People died of all kinds of dread diseases all the time and thought it was demons back before we figured out modern biology and pulled ourselves out of the muck.

Global warming is the inconvenient truth, nuclear power is the inconvenient alternative.

by eigenlambda on Mon Mar 26, 2012 at 09:40:07 PM PDT

•  Also do you think "don't try again" is convincing? (1+ / 0-)
            gnbhull

It's not even an argument. It's stomping your feet and yelling "la-la-la." If you want to convince, you need to be convincing. I'm genuinely puzzled as to what you hope to achieve by doing that. I'd prefer to believe that you have an actual goal beyond giving the appearance of having a tantrum, but I'm not seeing much evidence for it.

by KMc on Mon Mar 26, 2012 at 09:49:48 AM PDT

•  Exhibit A. (1+ / 0-)
      RunawayRose
      Valid argument about anecdotal information interrupted by unnecessary personal insult.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.