View Diary: How the ALEC Agenda becomes the Law of the Land (78 comments)

•  I'd like to get a better understanding of (5+ / 0-)
    jamess, sb, SuWho, GrumpyOldGeek, parsonsbeach

what motivates people to do this.
       I suppose the main driver is greed, but there's something else , something more primal and desperate behind all this because it truly is pathological.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 11:10:11 AM PDT

•  IMHO It Is First And Foremost About Power (5+ / 0-)
      elwior, jamess, sb, SuWho, parsonsbeach

control.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 11:14:01 AM PDT

•  at its core (8+ / 0-)

it is about the Libertarian school of thought (Austrian economics):

The Sink or Swim philosophy:

"I got mine, forget you."

Promoting it is the Aspen Society and their honored speakers:
      page 2
      [...]
      The participants in Aspen dined under the stars at the top of the gondola run on Aspen Mountain, and listened to Glenn Beck of Fox News in a session titled, “Is America on the Road to Serfdom?” (The title refers to a classic of Austrian economic thought that informs libertarian ideology, popularized by Mr. Beck on his show.) The participants included some of the nation’s wealthiest families and biggest names in finance
      [...]

To encourage new participants, Mr. Koch offers to waive the $1,500 registration fee. And he notes that previous guests have included Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court, Gov. Haley Barbour and Gov. Bobby Jindal, Senators Jim DeMint and Tom Coburn, and Representatives Mike Pence, Tom Price and Paul D. Ryan.

Things Go Better with Koch -- so says the Beckster
      by jamess -- Jan 15, 2011

it's all about {cough} "Science" to them ...

Koch's "Science of Success"
      by jamess -- Mar 11, 2011

With a large measure of Political Influence, thrown in as well:

The Walker-Koch-AFP-Tea-Party Connection
      by jamess -- Feb 18, 2011

What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself.
      -- Maslow ...... my list.

by jamess on Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 11:20:05 AM PDT

•  Clearly I Am A Liberal. I Am Also A Capitalist (7+ / 0-)

I got no problem if you offer a good product and/or service if you make billions. Doesn't bother me in the least. I also have no problem being both a liberal and a capitalist. See I think rich people should pay more in taxes. The reason being I want lower income people to get a better education. Have support. Have healthcare. Day care for their children.

The reason is simple. When you give people these things, well they have the ability to rise of. Improve their lot in life. And when they do this, well they make more money.

And if they make more money, well then they might be able to buy what I sell. I want more people to buy what I sell.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 11:25:03 AM PDT

•  Sink or swim is easy enough for those (0+ / 0-)

with the life vests!

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 02:26:41 PM PDT

•  Remember Scooter Libby to Judith Miller? (0+ / 0-)

Somehow all of these evil cretins along with their subversion of America are tied together and oh how they love their "coded language":

"You went into jail in the summer. It is fall now. You will have stories to cover--Iraqi elections and suicide bombers, biological threats and the Iranian nuclear program. Out West, where you vacation, the aspens will already be turning. They turn in clusters, because their roots connect them. Come back to work---and life. Until then, you will remain in my thoughts and prayers."

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11

by parsonsbeach on Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 03:29:42 PM PDT

• Recommended (155)
  • Community (70)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Law (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Civil Rights (30)
  • Environment (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Culture (29)
  • Barack Obama (25)
  • Science (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Health Care (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site