View Diary: my favorite authors: christopher moore - demons, zombies and fruitbats, oh my! (96 comments)

•  he - i'm a 67 (almost) southern lady and (0+ / 0-)

my sister is a 72 yr old - she loves moores books as much as i do.  some of the moore books would work - others, not so much.  she might like a coyote blue or fluke - and lamb is across the board a winner.  friends who are very religious love that book to pieces - they have bought many copies to share with their friends, chaplains, priests, preachers.  that one is across all ages and beliefs.

EdriesShop - heart and jade old stock up to 50% off - tonite only! insulin, vet bills and fuel gaskets, oh my! Is GlowNZ back yet?

by edrie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 01:28:33 AM PDT

•  Just not her thing AT ALL. (0+ / 0-)

ANd if he's the one who wrote the one about the vampire strippers--not mine, either. ANd I LOVE horror with a sense of humor, just not the style of that book.

Actually I have one I want to write called "Dead Nude Girls".  One of the characters is getting her degree in some esoteric field at MIT, and she was turned by a customer.  Owner of strip club is also a vamp, and he hired her as ma vamp. My vamps can walk around during the day.  Before she was turned, she was too tall, too thin, and wore heavy glasses--astigmatism made contacts not a possibility--and after she turned, she became her "best self" and is great-looking tall blonde. SHe loves her job because the guys tip well and no one touches the staff when your bouncers are werewolves, people are very polite). ANd she can attend MIT classes too--she makes much more at this job than she did waitressing.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 12:53:31 PM PDT

•  not vampire strippers - vampire parrots, though (0+ / 0-)

you should check out bloodsucking fiends - there is the classic turkey bowling in the safeway at night after the store closes - the homeless guy whose cat is HUGE (chet), the proverbial battle for good and evil - within the vampire ranks, themselves...

it isnot your typical vampire story (trilogy) at all!  here's the first chapter from chris' site - it will give you an idea of what he is writing about - NOT your typical vampire, blood-sucking fiend by any sort!

by edrie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 02:42:54 PM PDT

•  Mine tend to be semi-traditional vamps, but (0+ / 0-)

with a light touch. If I write it, it will deal with a unit from F.B>I.'s PSI )Psychic and Supernatural Investigations). The sequel would be title "Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog"--he's a pooka (Mom was Irish) from a family of Cajun Loup Garous. Basically he turns into a 350 pound black Irish wolfhound.

I'll check it out.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 06:17:43 PM PDT

•  sounds like fun! no pressure on when it (0+ / 0-)

would need to be - we can schedule it anytime that you want - no pressure!

heh - your 350 lb black irish wolfhound reminded me of the hellhound in good omens, the prophecies of agnes nutter, witch (by terry pratchett and neil gaiman).   the story of when the hellhound gets his name is absolutely hysterical!

that's another good book, if you haven't already read it.  that one is where the son of god and son of satan are accidentallly switched at birth and the nuns who try to correct the mistake 10 years later.

by edrie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 12:19:41 AM PDT

•  I've read it and loved it. (1+ / 0-)
              edrie

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 11:04:55 AM PDT

•  chris moore reminds me so much of (0+ / 0-)

pratchett and gaiman's wonderful book - his sense of humor is equally twisted - that's what makes the reading so much fun.

by edrie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 11:30:38 AM PDT

•  I've tried to read other Pratchett books (0+ / 0-)

and they bore me. Tried to read American Gods by Gaiman and gave up; may try it again. I prefer the old Fletcher Pratt and Sprague de Camp Magician series.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 12:07:03 PM PDT

•  with pratchett, the discworld series (0+ / 0-)

should really be read initially in sequence.  that way, you already know the characters - if read out of sequence, they don't carry the jokes as well.

haven't read american gods yet - and havent read fletcher pratt and sprague de camp magician series - will add to the list.

have you read any of stanislaw lem? his star diaries is a riot - womderful satire of the human condition.  hmmmm - must do that one for a fav author submission.

when i read star diaries, i was commuting vis long island rail road to nyc daily - i started the book and found i would be gasping for breath, tears streaming down my face and when people around me looked concerned, all i could do was point to the book between the gulps of air and guffawing.

great read!  what is so amazing about lem is that he was polish and his books lost nothing in the translation from polish to english.

one of his books,solaris,was made into a film that still has good response from new audiences.

by edrie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 06:03:28 PM PDT

• Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Politics (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Police (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site