View Diary: Abandon ship? Best country for progressives to move to? (99 comments)

•  Come to Britain (4+ / 0-)

all these progressives moving here would have three benefits:
    A) It wouldn't just be the northerners and the non-English voting left-wing. Without the Scottish and Welsh, we'd have had Conservative government up until 1997.
    B) We still have a better safety net than you guys.
    C) It would really piss off a really anti-American (as in hates the American people, not just America's politics) guy I know in school.

British guy with a big interest in US politics; -3.50, -3.18. Overheard at CPAC: A liberal, a moderate and a conservative walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey Mitt".

by General Goose on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 07:49:16 AM PDT

•  Back to square one for my genes, lol. (1+ / 0-)
      means are the ends

Has much changed there since about 1630? I was at Heathrow for about 4 hours in 1982 but it was raining so I didn't get out and look around. I do remember it was relaxing not to have to form German words, which I had been doing for 6 weeks prior.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 08:25:30 AM PDT

•  Never been to Heathrow. (2+ / 0-)
        billmosby, HeyMikey

Always use Stansted instead.

And yes, a lot has changed since 1630. We scrapped the monarchy...and then brought it back.

by General Goose on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 10:35:46 AM PDT

•  Is it hard to immigrate there? nt (0+ / 0-)

I write the series Confessions of a Retail Worker here on DK. It documents my life in a non-unionized workplace.

by Lightbulb on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 10:20:14 AM PDT

•  For non-EU residents, kinda, but (1+ / 0-)
        Lightbulb

not terribly. There's a points-based tier system (Tier 1 being "highly skilled individuals", Tier 4 being students, blah blah), and another system for relatives of EEA residents travelling to the UK.

by General Goose on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 10:34:07 AM PDT

•  Not an option for me then. (0+ / 0-)

I open boxes for a living, and I'm uneducated.

by Lightbulb on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 10:40:44 AM PDT

•  Well, you could still get in (2+ / 0-)
            Lightbulb, HeyMikey

there's a tier for workers like that, but it's highly limited, so it's dubious. Still, the system as a whole was just intended to shut up the "waaaa immigrants are bad" portion of the media (it failed.)

by General Goose on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 11:58:49 AM PDT