View Diary: Little House on the Prairie, Mad Men, Racism, and Television (52 comments)

•  I loathe the show. (2+ / 0-)
    Ian Reifowitz, Brown Thrasher

Yes, it's reasonably accurate--but there isn't anything glamorous about adulterers who drink too much, chain-smoke, and treat women like dirt.  I was in college from 67-71, and I can tell you they don't even get costumes right. I am tired of the glamorization of a period that treated anyone not a white  straight Christian male badly--it's precisely what the Republicans want.

I went to private girls' schools--Catholic--and wear uniforms, so I remember pretty clearly what clothes I bought when since I had so few civvies. The costumes seem closer to the 50s than the 60s.  I also  kinda grew up in an ad agency (Dad was the treasurer) and spent a fair number of Saturday mornings hanging out. The folks were friendly to an artistic child but there wasn't the non-stop  drinking and screwing as in Mad Men (Dad was a prude and I'd have heard about it; I DID hear about the one affair between one of the partners and a woman at a Jamaican affiliate of the agency). And I went looking for jobs after grad school in 73, and I know how I was treated. Even with a double master's and a Phi Beta Kappa key, I had to take typing tests to get hired--and I quit one job because I was already writing press releases and articles, and they were hiring someone whose main qualification was having a penis for twice my salary. He couldn't write articles and I could.

Glamorous it was not if you were any minority, including female. They got that right, but I think that message gets lost in the faux glitz and glamor, which is what people mostly talk about when they discuss the show.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 12:04:23 PM PDT

•  Good point (2+ / 0-)
      jec, Brown Thrasher

I can't say about all people, but from what I've seen people are getting the point about the bigotry.

My forthcoming book Obama's America: A Transformative Vision of Our National Identity will be published in Summer 2012 by Potomac Books.

by Ian Reifowitz on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 12:16:48 PM PDT

•  Maybe. Don't count on it, though-- (2+ / 0-)
        Ian Reifowitz, Charles Hall

especially Republicans and Southerners.  The people my age (old enough to have lived through the period) with whom I've talked roll their eyes at its glamor--the younger viewers see the "glamor".

I got through one complete episode and half of another, and gave up.  I really disliked Don Draper.

And I am a costumer by hobby, and if you get shit wrong, I turn off.  I'm that way with every thing. We tried to watch Tristan and Isolde last night, and after 30 minutes of my carping about no laces on Irish clothing until the Normans, Morholt being an evil giant not a general, and the fact that this is part of the Matter of Britain, which makes Mark a subsidiary king under Arthur, with the Angles and Saxons And Jutes as enemies, not allies against the Irish, I gave up. When you remove the magic from legends, you lose the feel of the original--they did that with Troy, and I only got through 30 minutes of that.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 02:12:51 PM PDT

•  I hear you, but are Southerners and Republicans (0+ / 0-)

watching? It strikes me as not a show they'd go for. But again, I really don't know. I can see that the show's creators are clearly trying to present these bigotries in a bad light so that's how I judge it. But of course to each his/her own.

by Ian Reifowitz on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 02:27:14 PM PDT

•  Then a lot of people are not getting the right (1+ / 0-)
            Ian Reifowitz

message. And yes, Southerners watch it too--I live in GA and talk to my much younger neighbors.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 03:48:58 PM PDT

•  Fair enough. And point taken. (0+ / 0-)

Thanks for the back and forth.

by Ian Reifowitz on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 04:32:18 PM PDT