View Diary: If Trayvon Martin had been white, and George Zimmerman were black (324 comments)

•  yep (1+ / 0-)
    ladyjames

as a long-haired white teenage male growing up in the 60s and 70s, I can assure you that I drew the unfavorable attention of adults, police, etc. many times. Being a teenage boy of any color is automatic basis for suspicion. It was back when I was a teenage and it is still so today. Your son (and you, by proxy) have just been very lucky so far to live in such a cocoon.

Congress shall make no law abridging the right of the people peaceably to assemble.

by edg on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 07:06:37 PM PDT

•  I think that it's harder being a young black... (0+ / 0-)

male than a young white male, BUT I also think that it's harder for young males in general.  I'm an older, disabled white female and personally even living in Detroit I didn't feel this way about young males of any color.  I also know that the females can be just as bad as the males, BUT don't face the prejudice that the males do.

•  I grew up in Detroit. (1+ / 0-)
        ladyjames

Live in Arizona now. Detroit cops in the 60s and 70s were tough on young people of all colors and both sexes, but particularly young males and most especially young black males. There was a unit they called "The Big 4", which was composed of cops at least 6 foot 2 and 225 pounds. They'd ride around together in a cruiser and if they spotted a young black man "acting suspicious", they'd pull up, jump out, and beat the crap out of him.

by edg on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 07:57:51 PM PDT

•  I lived in Detroit during the riots..... (0+ / 0-)

It was horrible to hear our warehouse guys call in with guns going off in the background.  I grew up in the "lily white" suburbs.  My parents were both racists.  There was "Starsky and Hutch" in the last neighborhood I lived in before moving to Florida, they seemed to "hate all the young males in the hood".

•  And do the cops in Arizona (0+ / 0-)

today do the same thing that those cops in Detroit during an extended period of youth rebellions do now???

Or have policing and authority figure behaviors changed somewhat?

I'm telling you that today in 2012, the kind of "hassles" my son complains about vis-a-vis authority figures of any kind don't even register as an issue compared to those kinds of issues that my colleagues who are mothers of young black men describe.  They have issues with teachers, principals, guidance counselors, store clerks, in so many dimensions of their daily lives that I know my own son is completely oblivious to, mostly because he can be: it just never happens to him. He's an affluent, attractive white boy living in an affluent, attractive suburb.

He's literally golden (and so are his friends).

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 04:39:25 PM PDT

•  The magic word: affluent. (0+ / 0-)

Cops still treat poor people of any color pretty much the same way they always have.

by edg on Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 10:45:46 AM PDT

•  Not where we live (0+ / 0-)

White teen-aged boys who fit the neighborhood profile are never disturbed.

The Girls get harassed all the time, however.

by a gilas girl on Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 04:30:18 PM PDT

•  and that was 30-40 years ago (0+ / 0-)

when the cultural context was quite different.

by a gilas girl on Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 04:31:54 PM PDT