View Diary: Thank you Max Baucus & Liz Fowler for turning the A.H.A. into a Rube Goldberg Machine (49 comments)

•  What would you call a former Wellpoint VP? (7+ / 0-)

Republicans take care of big money, for big money takes care of them ~ Will Rogers

by Lefty Coaster on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 11:55:44 PM PDT

•  Liz Fowler has spent most of her (1+ / 0-)
      andrewdski

professional life as a public servant and spent 2 years at Wellpoint as VP of public policy.  She was not a Lobbyist for Well point.

Right man, right job and right time

by Ianb007 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 01:01:47 AM PDT

•  Max Baucus passing out thanks (7+ / 0-)

where thanks were due:

I wish to single out one person, and that one person is sitting next to me. Her name is Liz Fowler. Liz Fowler is my chief health counsel. Liz Fowler has put my health care team together. Liz Fowler worked for me many years ago, left for the private sector, and then came back when she realized she could be there at the creation of health care reform because she wanted that to be, in a certain sense, her profession lifetime goal. She put together the White Paper last November–2008–the 87-page document which became the basis, the foundation, the blueprint from which almost all health care measures in all bills on both sides of the aisle came. She is an amazing person. She is a lawyer; she is a Ph.D. She is just so decent. She is always smiling, she is always working, always available to help any Senator, any staff. I thank Liz from the bottom of my heart...
        They had their people in there from the beginning, writing it the way they wanted it written.
        •  But she was always smiling! (1+ / 0-)
          Nada Lemming

by Lefty Coaster on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 01:36:43 AM PDT

•  She has also worked for Pete stark (4+ / 0-)
          andrewdski, kurt, Cedwyn, We Won

and Sen patrick Moynihan.  The fact still remains that she was never a lobbyist for Wellpoint.

Since you are posting news articles

"Anyone who tries to paint Liz Fowler as an industry front person is flat out wrong," said Rep. Pete Stark, Chairman, Ways and Means Health Subcommittee. "She worked for me when I chaired the Joint Economic Committee and I know her well. Yes, she worked briefly for Wellpoint. However, the other perspective on that time is that she gathered insider information there that is now being used to better regulate the insurance industry. Having Liz join the Obama Administration as they work to implement health reform is a real win for consumers - not the health insurance industry."

Indeed, even progressive health care advocates insist that Fowler is far from a private industry shill -- even if that very industry once wrote her paychecks.

"I worked very closely with her," said Michelle Nawar, director of legislation at the SEIU labor union. "SEIU worked very closely with her, and we have no doubt that Liz puts the interest of consumers first. One, she is a person of incredible integrity. The people critiquing her -- I'm not sure how many times they have talked or met her -- but those who have, know her passion is about getting affordable health care to every person in this country. Moreover, she is intimately familiar with how this bill was written."

That's from Pete Stark and the SEIU

Right man, right job and right time

by Ianb007 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 01:43:27 AM PDT

•  you just described a classic revolving door (3+ / 0-)

between corporation and government situation. Odd that it always seems to be the corporations and not the public who benefits when this happens.

Peak Oil is NOW! Looking for intelligent energy policy alternatives? Try here.

by alizard on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 05:29:29 AM PDT

•  where is that (0+ / 0-)

Lion doing the face palm picture when I need it?

Bless your heart.

"Democrats shouldn't assume they have our vote. They have to earn it." Oops! I changed my sig. Oh well, Markos said it better than I did anyway.

by Nada Lemming on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 10:38:43 AM PDT