View Diary: Of Boiling Men Alive In Our Name (168 comments)

•  Thanks MaryScott (4.00)
    I wish I didn't have these things burn in my head until I have to get out of bed and turn on my computer in the middle of the night as well. Two comments in a two thousand word diary is not the territory for sugarglass egos to wander around in.

But it wouldn't have occured to me to double and triple check the new Voice when I was awake and then further analyse the State Department's datapage on Uzbekistan for Orwellian gaffes in its content if I could get a good night's sleep like a normal person.

Thank you just the same.

" All great truths begin as blasphemies " -George Bernard Shaw

by LeftHandedMan on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 01:52:49 AM PDT

•  Just change a sentence or a word or two... (4.00)
      and repost it in it's entirety later today... it has to be done...recommend from me.

The Cognitive Dissonant... "God does indeed have fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror to the universe"

by Dood Abides on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 02:29:44 AM PDT

•  Hi dood (4.00)
        I'm pinning this to your post but it's not directed to you. They need to be seen.

There are worse here

•  a request (none)
          Next time you have pics to post of this nature, can you just provide a link to the source? Thank you.

"I have lived with several Zen masters -- all of them cats." - Eckhart Tolle

by catnip on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 05:43:40 PM PDT

•  We talked about this (none)
            I got flamed for posting some graphic pictures on an earlier thread.

But don't you think such powerful pictures really put "paid" on the whole story? Even if they are not comfortable to view?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter." Dr. ML King, from a jail cell in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963.

by bewert on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 06:18:22 PM PDT

•  let me pull you aside for a moment (4.00)
              I know that a picture is worth a thousand words and that these photos ought to be seen by those concerned but here's my however (and it's not just about me).

I have PTSD as do many people in the world and some in this community. When one has PTSD, it's important to avoid triggers. Triggers vary from person to person - some may not even be able to read a diary such as this. The addition of pictures, without a warning, increases the possibility of setting off triggers since those with PTSD all share one thing in common - a trauma. And, once those triggers take hold, they send one into a very dark and ugly place.

There are also people for whom PTSD isn't an issue. Simply put, they deserve to have a choice whether or not to view pictures such as these. Once again, they also deserve a warning if pictures like this are in a diary. I think it's all pretty straightforward. This is not about censorship, this is about common courtesy and a bit of understanding. That's all.

"I have lived with several Zen masters -- all of them cats." - Eckhart Tolle

by catnip on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 06:29:24 PM PDT

•  Maybe smaller pics, not so traumatic, with links? (none)
                I put my own links to pics far below, with a warning, and then another member of our community put them up here, where everyone can see them. I side with him, as I think that pictures are what moves people to change things, as with Abu Graib.

In deference to the PTSD issue, maybe smaller pics, not so ugly, would work? I'm not sure, because I don't know anyone with PTSD, but my wife has epilepsy and I'm aware of how seemingly small things can have big consequences.

by bewert on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 05:55:05 PM PDT

•  These Photos (none)
          are really hard to watch. But you are right , they have to be shown; it brings this horror a lot closer to home. Only by seeing it you know they are real. Only then you can begin to undrstand why some people have no mercy for those animals that commit such atrocities

If you want me to go back to the place I was born , tell your companies to leave my country (Leon Gieco)

by cruz del sur on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 06:31:16 PM PDT

•  it probably wouldn't (4.00)
      be hard to update this with further Murray info and repost if the diary slides away.

Honestly, now I know why we don't see more diaries from you -- you put a lot into it. Excellent job.  Thanks.

•  LeftHandedMan (4.00)
      Wow - what a powerful diary.

If you don't see too many comments it may be that others are feeling like I am - stunned and speechless.

Thank you for writing this.

•  Sophia,,,,, (none)
        a big fat WORD to this!

LHM - an outstanding diary, thank you so much for all the detail.

I was afraid for my country on Nov. 3, 2004.  How incredibly sad that my fear was justified.

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"--Prine Pay attention Georgie - 1500+ dead Americans, 100,000+ dead Iraqis, all on your head. WWJS?

by Miss Blue on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 05:51:00 AM PDT

•  I'm going to MSOC this one, (4.00)
        after being temporarily stunned silent:

How much more fucking evil are we going to become!  This fucking frightens me nearly speechless - it scares me more than my own personal medical preoccupations, more than my spouse's underemployment, more than murcury in my tuna.  This is fucking satanic shit we are involved in, and we are facing a major smiting at the hand of Godde over this shit.  And the RR thinks it's because gays are getting all faithful and shit, getting married...

We are really and truly fucked, sisters and brothers!  And Ratzinger, with his "well, abortion is the worst sin in the world" shit, helped elect the guy that got us so well and truly fucked.  I am beginning to think I would be most useful to this country by lighting myself on fire in downtown San Antonio like the Buddhists, than writing anymore LTE's or letters to politicians corrupted by money paid to them by fat cats or by the jobs Bush has given their kids.

We are majorly, probably irredeemably, fucked.

Fuck!

I donated to ePluribus Media. Support citizen journalism!

by dksbook on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 10:19:34 AM PDT

•  Looks like... (none)
      once again, the cream has risen without regard for the hour of day.

: ) Thanks again for writing this.

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Wed Apr 20, 2005 at 03:17:04 PM PDT

•  excellent job, LHM (none)
      You made the explosive connection to the underworld of global diplomacy and gave us a sad glimpse of what it's really all about. There is no truth there, only secrets and horrors.

"I have lived with several Zen masters -- all of them cats." - Eckhart Tolle