Skip to main content

View Diary: Romney Broke Black Letter Law. Election Bribery. Read for yourself. (303 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  I'm not a lawyer, so I am not sure (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    bkamr, VClib, pico

    but I would think the whole thing would be considered one offense. Especially since there is only one point at which he says something that could possibly be connected with voting + sandwiches, however loosely.

    But I'm not lawyer. I wonder if there are any lawyers reading this who could explain how much trouble Romney could or could not actually be in.

    I had to talk to my lawyer for something recently, and I heard about thinks like a misdemeanor deferred and a felony deferred (that a lawyer could try to get for their client if they didn't have a criminal record). I don't remember the details but I think it involved just paying fine's plus court fee's and maybe having a probation officer for a bit but no actual jail time.

    I'm not entirely sure if that's the same for every law though, and I am sure it differs state to state. However, my point is simply that unless Romney has a prior criminal record I am unaware of, I find it highly unlikely that his lawyers wouldn't be able to get him off with just a fine and possibly a little community service. I just don't think jail time is likely for an offense like this. And if it doesn't include actually jail time I don't see it truly stopping his campaign. I do think that if the appropriate authorities want to get involved they should. However, as political activists I am not sure our time is best served by pursuing this, that's all.

    I am not so much saying we should totally dismiss it out of hand or anything, just not sure if this is really likely to be truly damaging to Romney, and if it's worth throwing the whole power of the netroots at, that's all.

    Our love will always be more powerful than your hate.

    by Crazy Moderate on Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 03:43:24 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  Okay, I'm up for seeing him in a reflector vest (2+ / 0-)

      picking up trash along a highway ... and if he's not expected to do so ... if convicted, then it once again plays to the narrative that:

      There are one set of rules for 1% Masters of the Universe kind of guys like Romney -- and another set of rules for the rest of us in the 99%.

      Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

      by bkamr on Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 03:47:30 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  I got admit that's a pretty visual (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        bkamr

        that I would love to see. =D

        Our love will always be more powerful than your hate.

        by Crazy Moderate on Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 03:55:25 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  The blond in back is the President of Cousins (0+ / 0-)

          She's kind of hot --- maybe the hottest coconspirator in the criminal enterprise.

          I know the Cousins they were at. It's walking distance from the Republican party HQ in Waukesha. So it helps complete the quid pro quo picture.

          Supposedly, the Waukesha D.A. is looking into it. I don't know if he's squinting.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site