View Diary: Why I Vote for Democrats: the Lincoln connection (79 comments)

•  Did you go to the new Lincoln Presidential (12+ / 0-)

Library and Museum? I will be visiting Springfield this summer - probably more than once and am anxious to see the collections there. Did you go to New Salem? I quite liked it when I was last there about 20 years ago.

Thanks so much for the pix. It's been way too long since I've been in Springfield.

Inspiration is hard to come by. You have to take it where you find it. --- Bob Dylan.

by figbash on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 02:33:54 PM PDT

•  Yes, it was awesome! (10+ / 0-)

The only place you can take pictures is in the entry where they have the Lincoln family so you can stand next to them and see how you fit in. ;)

They have it split between the early years and the White hour years. The early years had a really funny mock up of how the presidential race would have been covered with Tim Russert doing the reporting.  The white house side had an amazing set of pictures from the civil war that took up 3 walls and had a screen that let you choose the photo to learn about the person or people in it. The room that had a replica of his casket and the flowers as it was during his funeral of course made me teary.

There is also 2 movies, one that has holographic images and special effects like smoke and shaking seats. It was so high tech after all of the simple tours and buildings that we saw.

Thanks for stopping by!

To say that this election is the most important election of our lifetime is not hyperbole. It's the goddam truth. JF ~~~~I Vote for Democrats

by kirbybruno on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 03:03:50 PM PDT

•  This is the only spot that you can take pictures. (10+ / 0-)

I told them to look like a wax figures, see how they fit right in!

by kirbybruno on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 03:09:54 PM PDT

•  Toooooo cute! (3+ / 0-)
        nomandates, sarahnity, hazey

I'd heard good things about the ALPL&M. Should be fun to see.

by figbash on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 04:50:10 PM PDT

•  They also have a museum of surveying, (4+ / 0-)
          sarahnity, Debby, hazey, figbash

which sounds kind of strange, but it was very interesting.  I plan on going back this summer because a lot of places are  not open weekends or on Sunday, and I would really like to see congress in session.

by kirbybruno on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 05:51:48 PM PDT

•  Lincoln did surveying early on. (2+ / 0-)
            hazey, figbash

Such a smart, self-taught man. And a thinker. Clearly wouldn't fit in with the current batch of Repubs!

You took the trip we were going to take over spring break. My husband took the day off and we were going to drive up to Springfield but then it rained. Argh! We're going to do it soon though.

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. --Mark Twain

by Debby on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 07:01:15 PM PDT

•  We were lucky, the weather could not (2+ / 0-)
              Debby, figbash

have been more perfect! In fact on Sunday it was in the 80's, which felt great.  Have fun when you finally do make it!

by kirbybruno on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 05:14:48 AM PDT