View Diary: CORRECTION: Statistics, Guns, and Wishful Thinking (95 comments)

•  Facts vs. Assertions (0+ / 0-)

In order to keep my arguments as fact-based as possible, I included all kinds of hard and fast numbers (comparisons of death rates for gun vs. bicycle injuries, comparisons of gun death rates in the US vs. other countries, etc).  I purposefully wanted to avoid making unsupported assertions i.e. "guns are bad".

You claim to post a number of facts about guns, all unsupported and all un-sourced.  You are the one making assertion, without facts.

You say "firearms are the most effective tool for self-defense", but offer no support or proof of any kind.  I will counter your assertion by saying that according to the FBI, a gun is used in over 2/3rds of murders committed here in the US, making firearms not the most effective method of self-defense, but the most effective murder weapon.

You continue to ignore facts (guns are the most common tool of murders) in favor of your beliefs (guns are the most effective means of self-defense).  You have yet to show any facts that support your belief.

"The fool doth think he is wise: the wise man knows himself to be a fool" - W. Shakespeare

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 06:03:32 AM PDT

•  Again, you seem to misunderstand. (1+ / 0-)
      deedogg

Your assertion that I am ignoring facts is simply false.

You continually make unsupported assertions as if they were fact, then accuse others of doing so when you don't want to acknowledge facts.

That being the case, why would I bother providing you with a lot of references for things you will simply ignore, as you have done when it comes to facts throughout this entire thread?

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 06:42:51 AM PDT

•  Your saying "it's so" does not make it so. (0+ / 0-)

I notice that you have failed to offer up any empirical evidence to back up your beliefs, despite being specifically asked to do so.

Just because you claim that a gun is the most effective means of self-defense does not make that a true statement.

I could just as easily claim that gun owners have three heads, and I could continue to maintain I am right despite the obvious evidence to the contrary.  My saying so does not make it so.

Instead, I claim that guns are the most common method of murder.  The empirical evidence as documented by the FBI supports my statement.

You have not shown any evidence from the FBI or any other source that supports your claims.

You continue to favor your beliefs over the facts.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 07:15:07 AM PDT

•  You still seem to misunderstand. (1+ / 0-)
          deedogg

Facts have been provided to you throughout this thread.

KVoimakas, specifically, has provided you some links to other information -- which you never meaningfully responded to.

Several others of us have directly confronted your unsupported assertions with counter facts -- to which you have only been able to respond with rather weak ad hominems.

That being the case, at this point, the onus is on you to provide support for your assertions.  You know, that support you have not provided yet...?

I don't feel at all compelled to support my assertions any more than they already have been, throughout the thread, until you have actually responded to them with substance.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 07:33:09 AM PDT

•  You have failed to provide any support for your (0+ / 0-)

I notice that once AGAIN you have failed to provide any supporting evidence for your claims.

I have written an entire article chock full of data (with sources) backing up my claim that guns are unsafe.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 07:50:11 AM PDT

•  As I stated... (1+ / 0-)
              deedogg

...that support is provided throughout the commentary thread -- points which you have not responded to in any substantive way.

Facts have been provided, as well as complete refutations of your assertions -- neither of which you seem to have any response to.

It really doesn't get any simpler than that.

At any rate, have a fantastic holiday weekend, I'm outta here.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 08:07:23 AM PDT

•  I see no facts (0+ / 0-)

I see no facts or evidence provided in the comments, only 40 or so comments saying "you're wrong".

There was one single comment by KVoimakas that linked to an article from a law journal.  I am reaing that article and may or may not discuss it at a later time.

I have repeatedly asked YOU to provide any kind of similar back-up for your claims.  You have repeatedly refused to do so, while telling me I am making unsupported claims (after I have just finished writing an article FULL of empirical evidence showing how dangerous guns are).

State all you want; your statements are FOS without supporting evidence, which you have refused to provide.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 08:24:53 AM PDT

•  The only explanation... (1+ / 0-)
                  deedogg

...for you seeing no facts would be that you choose not to.

They have been provided, and you have not responded to them, except to say that they are not facts.

It really doesn't work that way.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 01:36:26 PM PDT