View Diary: They are who we thought they were: The extreme and radical Republican Party (262 comments)

•  I am one of the few "R" lurkers registered here... (21+ / 0-)

And it pains me how the GOP has morphed into literally a corporate party using incredibly assonine ideas to attract independents.  I used to be active with the GOP 20 years ago in Kansas, till I was told not to bother coming to party committee meetings because I was pro choice, and they wanted to purify the party.  I still stay an R, because I want to enjoy that "told you so" moment.

I honestly think, that if Reagan were still alive, he would be villified as a communist.  And Lincoln......oh boy.....Mao Zedong reincarnated.....

Running on issues such as birth control is incredibly 13th Century.  I am witnessing the death of the party I am registered with.  Democrats are, to me, not enough in the personal responsiblility factor for me, but it's politics. It's an open forum, one that makes the internet and smart phones brings the ideas (and sometimes lack thereof) to where I live.   And I find the issues discussed here, relevant to shaping my views and opinions of others.  We are not all the same.  But it's depressing going to Red State Nation, and the topics revolve around slogans and of course REALLY bad ideas.  It's why I refer to Red State Nation as "3rd world Nation".  An economy, to survive as a first world nation MUST maximize economic participation of its citizens, and provide the "tools" for their development.

End of rant.....

•  If you're still in Kansas, why not just switch? (6+ / 0-)

The state party is likely conservative enough for you on those issues that keep you at least nominally Republican.

But nobody's buying flowers from the flower lady.

by Rich in PA on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 08:43:30 AM PDT

•   get over the "personal responsibility" myth (7+ / 0-)

in contemporary America, poor people are poor not because of of poor choices, but because of limited options and unequal distribution of government resources.
      Rich people are rich not because they try harder and are smarter- most have inherited their wealth/privilege and maintain and expand it through a system that favors wealth and privilege.

•  His responsibility point is valid. (0+ / 0-)

Nancy Pelosi's daughter had a good report on Bill Mahr's show a couple weeks ago.  She went down to the local Welfare office and interviewed people in line, and many of them said they weren't looking for a job, collecting the check was easier than working.  Most of those people probably don't vote, and most of those that do were probably Dems.

There are also a lot of people who were underwater in their mortgages and who could easily keep up their payments, but walked away because of a simple financial decision.  Most of those were probably Republicans.

Many Republicans won't do due diligence on their investments, or want a hand out from the government for their businesses, or want to dump their business pollution on their neighbors, or want to use deceptive business practices rather than take personal responsibility to use innovative and efficient business practices.

So we need equal opportunity for all, and a safety net for some, but it wouldn't hurt if both Dems and Repubs understand that being more reliant on your own abilities helps the entire community.

•  i don't think lincoln... (4+ / 0-)
      Words In Action, Chi, tb mare, wishingwell

...was ever really embraced as a republican by the folks I've always known as Republicans over the last 50+ years.

To me Lincoln was an endless seeker of possible solutions looking for whatever would work. He seems to me the ultimate progressive in that regard.

"Life is a bitch, and then you die. And then you come back." Old Buddhist proverb

by RubDMC on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 09:04:43 AM PDT

•  Here's to really GOOD ideas! nt (0+ / 0-)

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 09:09:11 AM PDT

•  You are a paleo republican (4+ / 0-)
      Chi, tb mare, wishingwell, wasatch

I recognize it, because I lived it.  My old party left me behind when they started caring about what went on in people's bedrooms and started moralizing about personal life decisions.

Right now, paleo-republicans have no place and no representation in their party.

As for personal responsibility.  In the years since I left the GOP I learned that you cannot force people to learn personal responsibility.  Starving them, throwing them on the streets, denying them healthcare only kills them, it doesn't teach them personal responsibility or anything else.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 09:12:38 AM PDT

•  Personal responsibility (5+ / 0-)

should be required of the bankers and financial industry executives, most of whom are still getting  huge bonuses and multi-million dollar compensation packages after nearly bringing down the global economy.

Skepticism of all the elite institutions, not trust, is what required for successful leadership in this era. Digby

by coral on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 10:08:51 AM PDT

•  Another way of looking at (4+ / 0-)
        tb mare, Sychotic1, wishingwell, wasatch

personal responsibility--

I've been involved with several nonprofits that work with low-income and poor folks (food banks, career development services, inner-city schools, etc). Just about all of the folks who use those services want to be self-sufficient, but they don't have the skills, tools, or resources to be so (although that's exactly what they're striving for!).  More fortunate folks take their own circumstances so much for granted that they can't fathom people who don't know how to be self-sufficient and thus blame them for making poor "choices" or not having enough "personal responsibility" -- while that may be true in some cases, tarring an entire demographic is just wrong, vindictive, and no way to run government policy.

Cheers--

•  Exactly, what I tell my Republican friends (3+ / 0-)
          Silverleaf, wasatch, Calamity Jean

(the sane ones) when they talk about abuse of the workers comp, unemployment, foodstamps etc. system is, "Sure, some people are going to game the system, which is an argument for more strict enforcement of the rules, but it isn't an argument for ending the entire system."

I tell them I am a Democrat because I don't want poor/old people living in a box and eating cat food.

by Sychotic1 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 10:31:47 AM PDT

•  Actually, paleo Reps do have a party-- (0+ / 0-)

the Democratic Party, which has assimilated most of Republican ideals as they were defined in the 1960s and 1970s. The only Democratic ideal from back then that they have kept is the notion that discrimination in all its forms is wrong. If actual liberals/progressives succeed in recapturing them  to pursue a continuation of New Deal economic and Great Society socio-political policies, then you will have no place in either party.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Mon Apr 09, 2012 at 09:39:54 AM PDT

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Culture (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Science (22)
  • Law (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Memorial Day (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Republicans (16)
  • Education (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site