View Diary: Anti-Capitalist Meet-Up: Socialist Venezuela in Top Five of Happiest Countries; Capitalist US is ... (116 comments)

•  An ex-Londoner writes (3+ / 0-)
    NY brit expat, Justina, northsylvania

about life in #1 Copenhagen. Nice piece in that she also includes some of what she perceives as the down side of the move, although it's pretty minimal.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

by Mnemosyne on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 04:07:10 PM PDT

•  I keep thinking about the food there, but (2+ / 0-)
      Justina, Mnemosyne

that's me. :D

"Hegel noticed somewhere that all great world history facts and people so to speak twice occur. He forgot to add: the one time as tragedy, the other time as farce" Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte .

by NY brit expat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 04:14:29 PM PDT

•  I'm No Gourmand, (6+ / 0-)

and not a gourmet either, but I find the food on the local streets just fine, and the fruits and vegetables are terrific.  We have an huge open air market a few blocks away and it's great fun to shop there and observe the produce and the people!

Convict Bush, Cheney and their torture cabal. Support universal health care,unions, WikiLeaks and Occupy Wall Street! Time for a totally new, democratic economic system. Turn the corporations into worker cooperatives!

by Justina on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 04:50:02 PM PDT

•  I so long (7+ / 0-)

to live where I don't have to be intensely suspicious of every step of the food chain and inspect every item carefully for potential lethal impact.

Participated in one of the very early CSAs in this country, and I miss it.

by Mnemosyne on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 04:52:22 PM PDT

•  I was talking about Copenhagen not Venezuela (5+ / 0-)

love, not too big on Danish food really ... love to try the street food in Venezuela and love open air markets (one of my favourite things about the UK and Italy).

by NY brit expat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 04:57:30 PM PDT

•  Well, The Danes Have Some Nice Cookies! (2+ / 0-)
            NY brit expat, ZenTrainer

Sorry for the confusion, NY brit expat, but I've eaten some great Danish cookies.  They have great desserts here in Ve too.

by Justina on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 05:04:00 PM PDT

•  it is the herring that is turning the stomach (2+ / 0-)
              Justina, ZenTrainer

I like some herring now and then, a diet dependent upon it does not appeal. Are you trying to seduce me down there? Desserts ... the bane of my existence! yum!

by NY brit expat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 05:08:32 PM PDT