View Diary: Chris Christie's reasons for halting the Hudson River tunnel to New York? Made up, says report (139 comments)

•  This seems to avoid the bigger question (3+ / 0-)
    Smoh, happymisanthropy, tk421

of why a New Yorker would want to live in NJ in the first place?

•  Hey now (11+ / 0-)

Lets not be hating on Jersey. Sure they got the dumps and the waste, but that's because they picked first. Manhattan was left with the Banking industry. Shudder.

It is better to be making the news than taking it; to be an actor rather than a critic. - WSC

by Solarian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12:25 AM PDT

•  It's a total pot-kettle type of situation (2+ / 0-)
        Solarian, Sue B

to me I have no idea why anyone would want to live/work in either place - much less BOTH!

The horror, the horror.

•  Both? (3+ / 0-)
          marina, Roadbed Guy, cpresley

[Christie Fat Joke removed at the request of my conscience.]

To be fair I live in Wisconsin, so let he without a radical rightwing Gov [reference to fried cheese curds removed] throw the first stone.

by Solarian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 10:37:35 AM PDT

•  I have a lot of respect for Wisconsonians . .. (0+ / 0-)

especially considering that when confronted with a problem, they really make tough choices to solve it (referring to Madison's efforts to cut down on drunken frat parties by limiting any one person to buying only 10 kegs a day - yup, that should solve the problem!!).

•  Or is it Wisconsonites? (1+ / 0-)
              Solarian

oh boy, do I have egg on my face?  ugh!!

•  It is (1+ / 0-)
                Roadbed Guy

And I don't see how a mere 10 kegs of Beer could make anyone drunk.

I mean, honestly.

by Solarian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 12:58:46 PM PDT

•  Yeah, if you do the math, that's a real (0+ / 0-)

head scratcher.

for example, if 30 people go to a party, that works out to a maximum of 300 kegs.

In other words, what's all the fuss about??

•  The fuss is about your insults. (1+ / 0-)
                    blue jersey mom

I love this state, I'm born and raised here.
                    My family is here. My home is here.
                    I love my fellow Jerseyites.
                    I love the NJ beaches, some rated the best in the states.
                    I love the urban areas, the rolling country side.
                    I'm close to the greatest city in the world.
                    I'm close to a second great city.
                    My SO and I both both have awesome jobs with great companies - the one I work for is HQ'd here.
                    There's a reason Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi live here.
                    There's a reason NJ has the top five educated workforce, the highest salaries, a lot of well of people, some of the richest real estate in NJ is here, ( yeah yeah,   we have a large share of one percenters.)

This state is incredible, it's liberal, it's progressive, it send D's to the White House every time.

Our only down side right now is CC.

You and the other guy some ridiculous recs - we're not about "dumps" and waste, there's a reason most people chose to live here, and your insults are juvenile and in poor taste.
                    Period.

And you keep making ugly cracks about NJ and got

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 02:16:30 PM PDT

•  Hmmm, I seemed to have touched a nerve . . . . (0+ / 0-)

OTOH, I have lived in seven different states over time - in alphabetical order California, Kansas, Oregon, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Washington.

Go ahead and denigrate any or all of them as vigorously as you can.   I will just assume that that means you don't like them and will stay away (nothing personal, but as someone who doesn't really like people in general, that'd be a good thing!).

•  When I felt nostalgic driving through the (1+ / 0-)
          Roadbed Guy

Bronx, I knew I had to get out of Florida.

New York City is the most energy efficient place to live in the U.S.  It used to be pedestrian heaven.  One could walk anywhere until cops were put in vehicles and started harassing people on foot.
          What you see when OWS marches is what the streets of New York used to be like all the time.
          In high school, I used to go to the opera and come home on the subway at one in the morning.
          Never was I assaulted until I moved to Florida and some cops showed up in our yard on a bogus mission.

People to Wall Street: "LET OUR MONEY GO"

by hannah on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 10:56:15 AM PDT

•  Oh yeah! (0+ / 0-)
            One could walk anywhere
            (giggle) if you had enough time . . . . I totally recall all those walks from Staten Island to the eastern parts of the Queens or up to the Bronx.

Why did I always end up arriving several hours late?

•  A provincial remark (0+ / 0-)

regarding NYC & Jersey. Here around NYC we just dismiss it as envy.

"There ain't no sanity clause." Chico Marx

by DJ Rix on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 01:54:58 PM PDT

•  Here in New Jersey, (0+ / 0-)

we regard such comments as stupid and ignorant.
             but that's just us.
            whatta you gonna do about it?

by Christin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 02:17:24 PM PDT

•  There's a standing joke in PA that you cross (5+ / 0-)

Bridges for free to go into NJ, but you have to pay to get out.  Frankly, I would pay anything not to enter the state while cc is there.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 10:29:59 AM PDT

•  When I worked in NYC (1+ / 0-)
      barflyer

I looked at houses in NJ because they were the only ones I could afford.  Ultimately, I bought a house in Virginia.

"We *can* go back to the Dark Ages! The crust of learning and good manners and tolerance is so thin!" -- Sinclair Lewis

by Nespolo on Tue Apr 10, 2012 at 10:34:56 AM PDT

•  Hey, hey, hey. (7+ / 0-)

I am a native New Yorker, and I have lived in NJ for almost 30 years. There is more to NJ than the turnpike. Parts of NJ are absolutely beautiful.

•  oh please. (2+ / 0-)
        blue jersey mom, CrissieP

i'm not taking that "hey hey" approach.
        the comments posted by the few morans here are ugly and stupid.
        yeah, it's all about two exits on the turnpike.
        how utterly asinine.