View Diary: We Are a Vision of the Future, On the Black Bloc: Part I (343 comments)

•  Maybe. (4+ / 0-)

But I guess I look at people who actually make change happen... Great teachers on schools, people organizing communities to reduce crime or increase housing opportunities, helping at-risk youth survive and thrive, and I just don't see that positive kind of change coming from fanaticism, in any form.

The people who truly effect change are not fanatical in their beliefs, and anarchism, as described by the diarist, seems to me no different that religious fundamentalism or cults.

And they suck at effecting change.

•  So, let;s look at great teachers (6+ / 0-)
      Urizen, JesseCW, G2geek, hepshiba, chipmo, pot

Who were they?

Paolo Freire?

What would he know about anarchism and teaching.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Thu May 03, 2012 at 10:30:37 PM PDT

•  Any sort of change comes (3+ / 0-)
      AoT, G2geek, chipmo

from having people pull together in a particular direction, even if they do it entirely differently- even if one person is only pushing with one hand, and another with two.

The new deal would never have happened without people to the left, and those in the center too, going more or less the same direction, for a short time - some wanted much more, and some were content with that.

•  Here's the real change Anarchists bring about in (4+ / 0-)
      G2geek, PhilJD, chipmo, AoT

the world.

This is Anarcho - Syndicalism.  It's about empowerment, community, and real equality.

Your vote is your consent.

by JesseCW on Fri May 04, 2012 at 01:50:00 AM PDT

•  wow. we need to hear more about that. (2+ / 0-)
        Yasuragi, AoT

That's the kind of news that really gets "deliberately ignored" in the US, because it threatens the plutocracy in a way that nothing else does.

Workers peacefully taking over factories and continuing to produce, is one of the most powerful statements that can be made, and it has the practical result of truly creating jobs and creating equity and feeding people.

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Fri May 04, 2012 at 03:36:16 AM PDT

•  Here is a fantastic documentary (1+ / 0-)
          G2geek

that covers a good deal of the news that is deliberately ignored in the U.S.

I hope you do watch it, and I would welcome any feedback that you have which may contradict the facts as laid out in the film.

The bourgeoisie had better watch out for me, all throughout this so called nation. We don't want your filthy money, we don't need your innocent bloodshed, we just want to end your world. ~H.R.

by chipmo on Fri May 04, 2012 at 07:48:33 AM PDT

•  I said news, (1+ / 0-)
            G2geek

I meant history.

And I mean history in more detail and greater direct evidence than as presented in Zinn.

by chipmo on Fri May 04, 2012 at 07:49:14 AM PDT

•  cool, I have it linked & marked... (1+ / 0-)
            chipmo

... so I can watch it this weekend.   Thanks!

(It's showing "loading" on the screen so I hope that's what's actually happening; I keep the privacy settings cranked up to 11 on my browser so I hope that doesn't cause it to jam.)

by G2geek on Fri May 04, 2012 at 09:06:48 PM PDT

•  924 Gilman Street, Berkeley California USA. (3+ / 0-)

A couple of decades ago, a group of Bay Area anarchists set out to create what was originally called "the Anarchist Community Center."  I helped out a bit with that and got pretty deeply involved in the local music scene as a result.

Quickly enough the place became known as "924 Gilman."

You've probably heard of it.  Or heard music by major bands who got their start there, who are heard around the world.

So yes, sometimes anarchists build stuff that works, and sometimes it works blazingly well.  924 Gilman is an example.  We need more examples like that.

by G2geek on Fri May 04, 2012 at 03:24:25 AM PDT

•  *cough* John Brown *cough* (0+ / 0-)
      The people who truly effect change are not fanatical in their beliefs
      Jesus. Napoleon. John Wilkes Booth. etc. etc.

"To the People (aka the 99%): Our only demand is an invitation: Join Us!" -- Occupy Oakland Demands 10/13/2011

by mic check oakland on Fri May 04, 2012 at 10:02:40 AM PDT