View Diary: We Are a Vision of the Future, On the Black Bloc: Part I (343 comments)

•  Libertarians are obsessed with the idea that (2+ / 0-)
    G2geek, AoT

Government is the only agent whose power to compel should be resisted.  This is not true of Anarchists.

At the same time, Libertarians believe that Property is sacrosanct (they are the mirror image of Anarchists, broadly speaking, on this issue) and that contracts are holy writ never to be violated.

Anarchism is the belief that we are fit to rule ourselves,

Libertarianism is the belief that those with property should rule.

Your vote is your consent.

by JesseCW on Fri May 04, 2012 at 02:07:49 AM PDT

•  i call that stuff "propertarianism." (1+ / 0-)
      AoT

As in, "the Property Party: Our Property, right or wrong!"

And they also view other humans as property.

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Fri May 04, 2012 at 04:01:16 AM PDT

•  You've read The Dispossesed by Ursula K LeGuin (2+ / 0-)
        joe wobblie, G2geek

I assume.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri May 04, 2012 at 08:02:19 AM PDT

•  Possibly the most influential (2+ / 0-)
          AoT, G2geek

popular work on anarchism in the last 40 years, followed closely by Alan Moore's original "V for Vendetta."

•  hell yeah, but a long time ago. (0+ / 0-)

And I still have the sense that some of LeGuin's ideas found their way into my general paradigm that I just use day to day without footnoting each part of it.

But I'll admit I can't remember the fine detail level of the book.  Probably because some of it went over my head when I first read it, even though it got into my thinking later.  What were you thinking of, about that?

by G2geek on Fri May 04, 2012 at 09:19:20 PM PDT

•  It's probably the best description of what an (1+ / 0-)
            joe wobblie

anarchist society wold look like that I've ever read.  It also has some good insight into the issues that have to be solved in an anarchist society.  And I believe it's where the word propertarian came from, or at least it's where I first heard it used.

by AoT on Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:16:16 PM PDT

•  "News from Nowhere" (1+ / 0-)
              joe wobblie

my preference for an illustration of an Anarchist society.
              Although I just read "With the Peasants of Aragon" which is a travelogue of the collectivized villages in Spain in 1937, and a historical example seems much more useful than a hypothetical one.

•  You are talking about right wing libertarians (0+ / 0-)

Anarchists would be more likely to be left wing libertarians, or in the middle.

Libertarian is no government, authoritarian is heavy handed government, in the Political Compass.

Women create the entire labor force.

by splashy on Wed May 23, 2012 at 05:30:38 PM PDT