View Diary: Dear Ann, About that "Choice" (163 comments)

•  He's done more than many. (11+ / 0-)

He's used his position many times to highlight violence and
    bullying against GLBT people, and gay suicides that often happen as a result.

What have you done, and how many have you reached, comparatively speaking?

If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people. --Tony Benn

by rhetoricus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 11:18:04 AM PDT

•  his take on gay people is always (0+ / 0-)

victimization. I am much more interested in empowerment.  His stories about suicides have been terrible and I certainly have done more and at an early time when it was extremely difficult to come out, than Anderson Cooper.  I could list my resume but it wouldn't matter as you have already been blinded by his light and  importance.  You, rhetoricus, like George Romney, are brainwashed.

Pass new laws to end media monopolization now.

by john from vermont on Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 12:53:06 PM PDT

•  Wow (6+ / 0-)

I've lost people to suicide and bullying, which is why I really appreciate the focus on the problem, especially when the straight culture is in so much denial about it.

I also appreciate the good things people do, and I don't feel qualified to tell people just when and how to come out.

But hey, enjoy reveling in your superiority and righteous condemnation. Nothing like GLBT's eating their own.

by rhetoricus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 01:16:37 PM PDT

•  well if you are going to be bent out (1+ / 0-)
          rhetoricus

of shape, then don't be throwing these barbs to me like Anderson has done more than you, when you don't even know what I or other people have done in their politicial work.  We were talking about Anderson Cooper and not about you or me, when you laid in to me for being a slacker compared to Mr. Cooper when it comes to fighting for gay rights, without having any idea who I am.  I would never attack anyone personally for their opinions until they say something personally about me for having an opinion, which usually indicates that they don't know much about what they are talking about since they don't know me on this site except for my comments.

I am sorry about your losing friends from bullying and suicide.  I don't think the answer lies with Anderson Cooper coming to our rescue and I agree GLBT folks should not be eating their own.  For that alone, I might have overreacted to your insults to me personally in comparing my work to Anderson Cooper's.  But in the future I suggest you refrain from attacking people personally when you don't agree with an opinion they have. And I will stop overreating when people attack me personally for my opinions.  We'll start there rhetoricus as I think we probably have much more in common when it comes to the struggle for justice than these posts indicate.

Pass new laws to end media monopolization now.

by john from vermont on Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 01:38:46 PM PDT

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
            john from vermont

..for the kind words about people lost.

I did not mean for my question about what you had done to be taken as harshly as it was received. I do believe in lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness, and Cooper does have a "reach" that exceeds most of ours no matter how hard we work, just due to the nature of his profession. He apparently does feel an obligation to serve the GLBT community, with the number of informative and sympathetic stories he has done. I don't know why he won't come out. I don't usually feel anger toward un-declared GLBTs unless they attack us or our interests, but I do feel disappointed sometimes.

I agree that coming out of the closet is a powerful move for someone as well-known as Cooper, and it's likely more helpful to the GLBT community than simply being a public advocate.

by rhetoricus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 09:58:18 PM PDT

•  I think we agree about (1+ / 0-)
              rhetoricus

about Cooper coming out... even though I still think he got his job because of his famous mom and good looks.. but hey that is how the new journalism seems to work.  the truth is I hadn't known he hadn't come out... I just assumed he did and everyone knew he was gay...
              So much for me being on top of celebrity come outs, lol.

Pass new laws to end media monopolization now.

by john from vermont on Fri Apr 13, 2012 at 09:16:00 AM PDT

•  He refuses to discuss it (0+ / 0-)

..I've watched interviewers try all kinds of tricks to get him to talk about his personal life, or even simply acknowledge that's he's gay ("Were you, yourself, bullied, Anderson?"). He's very cagey. His network may have subtly warned him.

In terms of how he got where he did, he actually had real trouble breaking in, odd for a good-looking Yalie. He did a lot of independent stories from war-torn areas (Somalia, Bosnia, Rwanda), and areas where revolution was brewing (like Myanmar), and was able to sell the stories. He's got guts, but of course most people could not afford to hop on over to Africa or SouthEast Asia to do stories.

He got his own show because he had his ass down in New Orleans right after Katrina, and asked night after night where the hell the relief was and spotlighting the conditions down there before other networks got their shit together.

(I know this stuff because I've spent an unholy amount of time in airports, which tend to be tuned to CNN.)

I wish he was more of a Rachel Maddow, but he may be trying to make it as more of a straight (p.i.) reporter.

by rhetoricus on Fri Apr 13, 2012 at 09:32:16 AM PDT