View Diary: Rep. Virginia Foxx has 'little tolerance' for student loans (270 comments)

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
    Odysseus
    If you just want a BA from a public university, in some states you can get away with $80K for the total cost (tuition, fees, books, room/board).
    In most states you can easily get away with far less.   For example, why are you including four years of room and board?  Room and board is usually way more expensive than living in town, and it's voluntary except maybe for the first year.

In NY state, 80K will get you a complete full ride to one of the best public universities in the state, and you can easily make it 60K if you just bother to room with some friends after the first year.

But what about if the profession requires a masters degree?
    If you think about this, you should see that it still won't cost you anywhere near $200,000.

A master's degree is typically 2 more years, with higher tuition costs (e.g. $9000/year versus $7000/year) and no requirement to live in the dorms.

Or perhaps extended graduate work - say for medicine or law.
    If we're going to talk about med school or law school, then we're no longer talking about the cost of "college," or people who take out giant loans for college.  Rep. Foxx was clearly talking about the cost of college.

Linking to a news article is journalism in the same sense that putting a Big Mac on a paper plate is cooking.

by Caj on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 08:25:10 AM PDT

•  Not to mention doing two years at community (0+ / 0-)

college first or going some place local.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy;the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness

by CTMET on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 08:33:02 AM PDT

•  Depends upon your state and aspirations (0+ / 0-)

Here in Illinois the base tuition alone is $11,600/year for residents at U of I. Illinois State is not much better at $394/semester hour. And that's just tuition at resident rates. The majority of students today take longer than four years to complete a degree and many programs require five years. With the inevitable yearly increases that's easily already $50K in nothing but tuition - no fees.

If I go to one of these schools, then I'm not living with my parents anymore as both are significant drives from my home. Hence, college also costs room and board. So to attend college I'm going to be living on campus for at least a year, then I still have to pay rent and food even with roommates. But now I also have to pay for transportation as well.

Let's just say we're talking cost of college because if I went to law school, then I'd be taking out huge student loans to pay for law school, which happens on a university campus and happens to earn a college degree. So what is that then - not college? Should the middle class and poor rule out these occupations because the cost of college for these professions is more than a liberal arts degree?

And a college student can easily make $60K? Checked the economy lately? They're lucky if they can get a job after they have the degree. You ever made $60K working minimum wage? If you did then you're working nearly full time. You ever worked minimum wage 30-40 hours a week while in your last two years of architecture program or while student teaching? That will help graduation rates I'm sure. Ever worked minimum wage jobs while doing an internship and holding down a full course load?

Or better yet, some kid from the suburbs of Chicago who gets accepted to Northwestern or University of Chicago and due to their parents middle-class income doesn't get a scholarship. They're clearly a fool to go there and should instead go to some small state school instead of being stupid and taking out loans to attend these elite schools and perhaps better themselves.

Rep. Foxx was in essence saying that those not affluent enough should learn their place and stop trying to move out of their social class, and doing so from the out of touch perspective of someone who graduated from college in 1961 when college costs were much lower, the minimum wage was worth more, and college students could find jobs easily.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

by michael in chicago on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 06:10:42 PM PDT

•  Transportation usually not a big deal (0+ / 0-)
        I actually went to NIU, and never had to pay extra for transportation.  Like many universities NIU has a bus system that is free for students (actually paid out of your student fees,) and in any case off-campus apartments are only like a 10 minute walk from campus.
        You seem to have completely misread what I wrote.  I said that you can bring an 80K college cost down to 60K by living off campus.

You don't have to earn 60K a year to pay for a 60K tuition cost.   You can, for example, earn 10K a year, get 2K per year in Pell grants, and then take out $12,000 in loans.

by Caj on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 08:01:27 PM PDT

•  Yep (0+ / 0-)

Misunderstood:

I read what you originally wrote as earn 60K over 4 years, or 15K a year. But I stand by my assertion that even this is hard to do today, especially in later years of a professional school and given the shortage of even minimum wage jobs - especially in a college town where thousands of kids are looking for one. 15K a year take home is basically full time hours a the minimum wage - assuming you find a job and don't take any vacation or sick days -  for four years. And let's remember that Republicans like Rep. Foxx do not support increasing the minimum wage which has fallen well behind inflation since she graduated in 1961.

Getting a Pell grant will depend upon your family's income for at least the first couple years before you can prove financial independence. And lets not forget that Republicans like Rep. Foxx are in favor of cutting Pell grant funding which is less today than years ago.

If you live off campus, that's great that NIU offers a bus. Not all do. Does it take you to work too? If one limits the job search to walkable distance or campus, then the odds of getting a job decrease significantly. This however falls under public transportation which Republicans have repeated supported cuts in funding for.

Just to be clear, I worked my way through so I understand how hard it is. Yes one can reduce the cost by working. But you also increase the odds of not graduating and/or extending the time it takes to graduate, which then extends the debt as well.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

by michael in chicago on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 09:50:31 AM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)
            Of course.  The Huskie bus line naturally has a few bus routes that go out to the hospital, out to the next town, and out to the grocery stores on the highway.  It is actually pretty typical of universities of this size:  where I work in NY, the university provides a bus system that also provides routes to adjoining towns, city hall, hospitals, main street, the mall etc.
            I don't see why you think so.  Most of the shops and restaurants are near campus because that's where the business is.  Plus, a lot of part-time work is on campus, towit in the cafeteria, computer labs and so forth.  I worked multiple jobs through college and never had to walk off campus to do so.
            Regardless, those buses are there.

by Caj on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 08:28:05 PM PDT