View Diary: Bill Maher speaks out on Ozzie Guillén suspension over Fidel Castro comment (202 comments)

•  Typical deflection (4+ / 0-)

Batisita was abrutal dictaro, So is Castro.

Bartista was overthrown 60 years ago.

Guillen spoke about Castro, not Batisita.

TThis is the BS I detest from Dems.

•  Not all Dems (1+ / 0-)
      Armando

Guillen's comments were out of line in my view to say the least.

Barack Obama for President '08

by v2aggie2 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 12:18:01 PM PDT

•  Right, and Batista was a hero to many, while (0+ / 0-)

Castro is an ogre to many, but, vice-versa also. Many Cubans loved to see Batista fall, but they didn't flock to Miami. Those who did, in the early days, aren't necessarily angels either.

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 01:03:44 PM PDT

•  Batista was a hero to nobody (0+ / 0-)

I wish that myth would finally die as Batista did over 50 years ago.

•  Sorry, but he was, and the source of wealth (0+ / 0-)

and power for some too. The first rush to Miami was not poor downtrodden victims of Castro's policies, which weren't in effect yet.

by enhydra lutris on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 03:41:30 PM PDT

•  Sorry (1+ / 0-)
            enhydra lutris

But he wasn't.

Look, that there were pockets of "Bastitianos" among Cuban exiles does not make it in any way fair to tar the entire Cuban American community with that brush.

Frankly, it's outrageously unfair.

I suppose it's possible that you know more about it than I do but I doubt it.

(Son of Cuban exiles who left Cuba in 1962.)

•  I'm not saying "all" by any means, but I am (0+ / 0-)

really bugged by the incessant attempts to imply that there weren't any, and that all who came here fled the policies of the Castro Government, especially among those who fled before any such government policies existed.

by enhydra lutris on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 03:51:43 PM PDT

•  Ok there were a few (0+ / 0-)

and they are all dead, You know it has been 60 years right?

What relevance does that have to this discussion?

Are you upset with the opposite -0 the insistence that ALL person who oppose Castro are "Batistianos?" Cuz if you are, I missed it.

And let's be clear, the number of comments doing that outnumber the "there were no Batistianos" comments by a bout 50 to 1.

•  I didn't note that at the time that I made my (0+ / 0-)

comment. I would definitely disagree with that assertion, perspective or whatever one wishes to call it. I personally believe that it was a very mixed bag, throughout the years, and that it still is, because those  Batistianos, as you call them, who are dead, had kids who are still around.

BTW, those to whom I refer weren't all necessarily close to F.B., though his cronies and a lot of the police and military are included, but also those who were in bed with United Fruit, The Mob, etc. Using United Fruit as an example: Land was stolen from ordinary people and given to United Fruit at bargain prices and United Fruit then exploited the holy hell out of the locals. Those who "collaborated" too deeply with United Fruit, regardless of any connection to Batista, also bugged the hell out, those too deeply entrenched in the casino economy, prostitution, etc. likewise.

by enhydra lutris on Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 04:20:11 PM PDT

•  has your righteous fury caused you to type (0+ / 0-)

with oven mitts? this is what i detest about dems...

I love Burt Bacharach!